Joe Odam

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

Backup...starter.....

these are just words until we see how it plays out .   A bad half, bad fumble, missed block.....and you might not see one much the rest of the game.    If you think Shady is here strictly as a backup-  a la Pittsburgh under Tomlin— you’ve got a surprise coming 

2 minutes ago, machine3 said:

So, where are you McCoy cheerleaders drafting him? 2nd round? If he's taking over as RB1 with no competition in the NFL's best offense, he would have to have at least 2nd round value, if not top 5 overall.

That's the ceiling. Very low floor as well. If you like the risk/reward then I'd say he's 3rd round, top 10 RB. Basically where Williams was going.

Edited by kcm012

3 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

What's the irony you speak of? McCoy wanted to reunite with Reid and the Chiefs look like a pretty damn good team. What's the issue here? 

It’s ironic because you said chiefs were a super bowl team over 3 others when 2 of them when championships in the last 2 years. Do you not see the irony?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bhawks489 said:

It’s ironic because you said chiefs were a super bowl team over 3 others when 2 of them when championships in the last 2 years. Do you not see the irony?

I can't predict the future. All i said was he wants to win a championship and the chiefs as currently constructed offer a great opportunity. I told the OP to take the L in regards to insisting McCoy did not sign on to be a backup. 

Edited by bigbluecrew56

This was McCoy's exact quote from his presser. 

“I love Coach Reid,” McCoy said. “The biggest thing for me is that he has just always been honest, since day one. He shoots you straight. His family is the same way. As a coach, I’ve learned so much from him. Now coming here, I am sure he can teach me different things. I am an older player and I want to stretch my career out as long as possible. I want to be productive, as well. I think just playing with him, the type of roles and set ups – and when you watch the tape of the offense and how they go up and down the field with small plays to big shots, and to utilizing all of the open space for his players. When you see that, you fall in love with that. He does a great job of getting the talent. A lot of these guys were drafted here, and they get better with time. He gets a lot of that credit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

What's the irony you speak of? McCoy wanted to reunite with Reid and the Chiefs look like a pretty damn good team. What's the issue here? 

Reid is his own worst enemy and won't win crap

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

The Chiefs as currently constructed offer a great opportunity for McCoy to possibly win a championship. It also allowed him to reunite with someone he has a close relationship with. Not sure what we are arguing here. 

...and they have a big need at RB because their top two guys were a 6th year journeyman with less than 800 career rushing yards and an undersized 6th round rookie.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

Reid is his own worst enemy and won't win crap

He just needs a good defensive coach/coordinator and stay out of that side of the game completely. Chief's defense is what absolutely screwed them last year.

Edited by kcm012

4 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

I can't predict the future. All i said was he wants to win a championship and the chiefs as currently constructed offer a great opportunity. I told the OP to take the L in regards to insisting McCoy did not sign on to be a backup. 

Definitely not taking the L on this.  Anyone who thinks Shady was told he was the backup by Reid and still signed there, and turned down playing time with the Eagles, Pats, and Chargers (all contenders...with the Pats being even more favored than KC)...I don't know what to say to you.

3 minutes ago, kcm012 said:

He just needs a good defensive coach/coordinator and stay out of that side of the game completely. Chief's defense is what absolutely screwed them last year.

No, it was Reid. Let's go ahead and not even target the most dangerous WR in the game against the Patriots

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

No, it was Reid. Let's go ahead and not even target the most dangerous WR in the game against the Patriots

Did you miss the whole part where the Chiefs were putting up points every time they went down the field, yet the defense couldn't stop the Pat's offense?

Belichick schemed Tyreke out of the game...that's what he does. Chief's defense has been the weakest part of the team for years.

1 minute ago, kcm012 said:

Did you miss the whole part where the Chiefs were putting up points every time they went down the field, yet the defense couldn't stop the Pat's offense?

Belichick schemed Tyreke out of the game...that's what he does. Chief's defense has been the weakest part of the team for years.

Agree.  Belichik is the best at taking your best player out of the game and making the rest beat you.

Just now, kcm012 said:

How can u not target him regardless?   Can’t scheme out quick hitters and short options.... and Tyreek going to beat double coverage at times.   Andy being cute again.   

2 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

How can u not target him regardless?   Can’t scheme out quick hitters and short options.... and Tyreek going to beat double coverage at times.   Andy being cute again.   

I don't get how people can't see this. Chiefs problem wasn't their inability to put up enough points. It was the inability to stop the Patriots...at all.

Edited by kcm012

Just now, kcm012 said:

I don't get how people can't see this. Chiefs problem wasn't their inability to put up enough points. It was the inability to stop Patriots...at all.

the patriots inability to stop the chiefs didn’t keep them from winning.    Why?

1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

the patriots inability to stop the chiefs didn’t keep them from winning.    Why?

Because of the minutes left in the game....

spacer.png

Only some real football over the next 2-3 weeks is going to solve this back and forth. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

But without a coach/de facto GM like Reid, the Chiefs wouldn't have been in the championship game in the first place.  All coaches have weaknesses; you can't just look at their worst attributes and say "if it weren't for that, they'd have won," while taking everything else they did for granted.You have to consider that if it weren't for their positive attributes, they probably wouldn't have gotten that far to begin with. 

Reid has issues, but his strengths far outweigh them.  There are about 25 teams in the NFL that wish he was their coach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Felicia's Bye said:

But without a coach/de facto GM like Reid, the Chiefs wouldn't have been in the championship game in the first place.  All coaches have weaknesses; you can't just look at their worst attributes and say "if it weren't for that, they'd have won," while taking everything else they did for granted.You have to consider that if it weren't for their positive attributes, they probably wouldn't have gotten that far to begin with. 

Reid has issues, but his strengths far outweigh them.  There are about 25 teams in the NFL that wish he was their coach.

Far worse coaches have won the Superbowl.

1 hour ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Or, you know, maybe he's just not overly confident in the guys that are behind him if something were to happen to Damien.  He has already had a hammy issue.

Darrel's pretty uninspiring overall and Darwin, while he has shown flashes and promise, is still a rookie.  Why not bring in a savvy, reliable vet like McCoy that can contribute when needed and mentor his younger guys?  And it's a no-brainer for Shadyl; he gets to come into an ideal situation where he's not going to be asked to shoulder the load and immediately compete for a superbowl.  

For those still drafting, take advantage of the sky is falling rhetoric about Damien and grab him in the 5-7th rounds or wherever he's going now, and enjoy your discount RB10.

Is it common for NFL teams to sign a backup after the starter got extended and to pay the backup more than the starter? Cause I can't think of many instances.

You might be right. It is possible that the Chiefs signed Hyde cause they wanted a decent backup and he failed. Darwin got some goal line work with the first team to get him used to the role just in case. Or maybe it's possible they don't believe in Damien as their starter. You know the guy who didn't start over Spencer Ware last year, who is basically the 4th in the depth chart RB in the Colts backfield right now. 

But, can you explain why Reid would say both Damien and Shady are starters? Why would the Chiefs outbid the chargers if Shady was just going to be a backup anyway? This is Lesean Mccoy, the guy who said I'm the guy in Buffalo. His ego would not let him take a backup role, so why would Shady go to another team to be a backup? Shady himself said he is "fine with sharing the backfield." That means at worse it's going to be an RBBC and at best it's going to be Shady getting the majority of the work. It is obvious Shady was told he would have a role and not be used "to mentor his younger guys."

5 minutes ago, kcm012 said:

Because of the minutes left in the game....

Because the guy on the other sideline is money in crunch time- and Andy isn’t.   This isn’t an isolated incident.