Joe Odam

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

2 minutes ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

Not good news for Damien. Clearly Shady is going to be used plenty

did you listen to the whole thing .. 

1 minute ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

Not good news for Damien. Clearly Shady is going to be used plenty

if shady is better than damien then he is simply better than damien and there's nothing damien can do.

damien's only hope is that shady is actually washed up, something that many ppl believe (hope) is true

1 minute ago, JSA2422 said:

did you listen to the whole thing .. 

Did you watch the video?

"We have experience managing talent RBs in the backfield before so you do it the same way" = not RBBC. Gonna be the same thing with the lead dog getting 70%.

"We wanna make sure we utlize Lesean and give him the best opportunity to be himself." = We sure as hell are using him

"Lesean is a unique football player." lol

"Damien... our guys understand the big picture. This ain't about the individual and we want to do what is best for us to win. If it's sometehing that's not going to benefit us, why do it? Numbers don't count it's about getting a ring." = We see Shady as better than Damien and will help the team. Damien understands it's not about stats and wants us to win first and foremost and will be ok losing touches/being the backup

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

Did you watch the video?

"We have experience managing talent RBs in the backfield before so you do it the same way" = not RBBC. Gonna be the same thing with the lead dog getting 70%.

"We wanna make sure we utlize Lesean and give him the best opportunity to be himself." = We sure as hell are using him

"Damien... our guys understand the big picture. This ain't about the individual and we want to do what is best for us to win. If it's sometehing that's not going to benefit us, why do it? Numbers don't count it's about getting a ring." = We see Shady as better than Damien and will help the team. Damien understands it's not about stats and wants us to win first and foremost and will be ok losing touches/being the backup

Thanks I wanted a tl;dw which is why i asked, sounds like nothing new though. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

Did you watch the video?

"Damien... our guys understand the big picture. This ain't about the individual and we want to do what is best for us to win. If it's something that's not going to benefit us, why do it? Numbers don't count it's about getting a ring." = We see Shady as better than Damien and will help the team. Damien understands it's not about stats and wants us to win first and foremost and will be ok losing touches/being the backup

Eric Bieniemy on May 31st - "You know what? Damien Williams is our starter,” Bieniemy told reporters. “We expect him to excel at that role."

Very easily could have said the same thing in the video, but he did not.  I wonder why?

You know, I think many of you are confusing 2 things:

1) a coach talking up a player to make him feel welcome/happy/encouraged

and

2) what is the actual plan.

• Thanks 1

“One thing with all of our backs is that we are coaching all of them to be the starter,” Bieniemy said. “Coaching all of them to take somebody’s job. At the end of the day we want to put the best players in the best situations to give us the best opportunity to win, so right now we want to watch how these guys compete; that’s the name of the game. We’re in training camp, we want to compete for a job. Who wants it, who can improve on the little things we worked on and talked about throughout the offseason. But when it’s all said and done with, let’s come out and maximize the opportunity being presented.”

Damien just has to stay healthy.  He will be a fine RB2.  Every team has multiple backs to utilize in the backfield but not every team has the scoring potential KC has so enjoy having a RB on a good team.  The converse is the ugly slopfest of offense Chicago put out last night where its a fantasy quagmire for the RBs. 

I just wanna remind people that K.Hunt went 3 weeks into last season with only 3 total TARGETS and he is dynamic with the ball in space.  

Reid has a tendency to be very weird with his RBs, but he won't usually be weird with their PT and completely rotate series.

Edited by Zak0221

1 hour ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

Did you watch the video?

There’s reading into things and assuming them to be true based on what you want to happen, and then there’s this. 

• Haha 2

The Chiefs beat writer for the Athletic did a live chat & when asked how the backfield carries would be divided he estimated 75% for Damien, 15% for McCoy, & 10% for Darwin. He also said McCoy would gain more of a share once he gets up to speed. Even if Damien keeps 60%...12-15 touches a game...I think he will still smash in this offense.

On 9/4/2019 at 5:27 PM, elroypedro said:

Answers:

Odds) McCoy

Evens) Williams

This is what people (including Andy Reid) just can't get through their heads. They keep pointing to Williams with the Dolphins and Shady's HOF career. We're talking about RIGHT NOW, and right now Williams is the MUCH better back. Only way he's not the clear guy here is if he gets hurt. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

This is what people (including Andy Reid) just can't get through their heads. They keep pointing to Williams with the Dolphins and Shady's HOF career. We're talking about RIGHT NOW, and right now Williams is the MUCH better back. Only way he's not the clear guy here is if he gets hurt. 

If he's the MUCH better back, why did they bring in shady?

19 minutes ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

Why did they bring in Hyde?

17 minutes ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

I think we’re going to get a healthy usage of McCoy. 

Week 1 is going to be interesting to see what direction they go.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bhawks489 said:

I think we’re going to get a healthy usage of McCoy. 

Week 1 is going to be interesting to see what direction they go.

Week 1 McCoy won't know the offense completely. I think week 2 will be a better representation of how KC uses it's backfield.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

If McCoy still has it, why did Buffalo bring in an even older Gore, trash like Yeldon and show McCoy the door? If he had anything left, they would have kept him another year and let Singletary learn from him and split carries with him. 

Edited by Dexter75
  • Like 2

Chiefs brought in Shady to provide relief to Damien. Anybody that knows Damien Williams as a football player understands that he’s not a Bell, Barkley, type running back. He needs somebody to help him carry the load. How many carries and red zone looks Shady gets is the question obviously. I still think Damien will provide RB2 numbers in this offense. It’s way too dynamic and the chiefs will still make sure he gets 12-15 touches a game. 

However, if Shady is stealing a ton of goaline carries, then it might push Damien more to a low end RB2. 

Edited by bigblue592

Shady is just that, a guy that needs some shade sitting under a tree while he plans his exit from the NFL. Shady is done. Why they signed him is the same reason some of us reach and draft a guy with a "name" thinking back on the good ol' days and assuming those days will return. The sun has set on shady and I'm happy to bring him a cool glass of iced tea as he sits under his shade tree counting the money KC wasted on him. He smiles, and thinks, "that's awesome, obviously no one in KC has seen me play for the last two years."

I have no idea if Williams will stud or dud, but I do know that shady is done. It's week one, Williams will get the majority of the RB work. What he does with that no one knows. But, anyone that thinks shady is going to stud it up and resurrect himself ... not gonna happen.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

Feels to me like Reid is doing him a solid and giving him a chance for a ring. Depth move as well.

He looked done to me on the Bills but I mean it's the Bills. 

I have Damien and I'm not really worried about Shady. If Damien Williams is the lead back on this offense then that is exactly what I signed up for. People act like Shady will turn the clock back 5 years. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sticky2 said:

Feels to me like Reid is doing him a solid and giving him a chance for a ring. Depth move as well.

He looked done to me on the Bills but I mean it's the Bills. 

I have Damien and I'm not really worried about Shady. If Damien Williams is the lead back on this offense then that is exactly what I signed up for. People act like Shady will turn the clock back 5 years. 

This has been debunked so many times.

Shady had 4 suitors...all of them championship contenders, all of them RB-needy.  He would not have gone to the Chiefs if he wasn't going to get playing time.  Reid is a close friend / father figure to Shady.  If the plan was not to play Shady, he would tell him and let him compete for PT with one of the other contenders. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

This has been debunked so many times.

Shady had 4 suitors...all of them championship contenders, all of them RB-needy.  He would not have gone to the Chiefs if he wasn't going to get playing time.  Reid is a close friend / father figure to Shady.  If the plan was not to play Shady, he would tell him and let him compete for PT with one of the other contenders. 

Huh? Let him go play for another team that wanted him? The team he was going to if the Chiefs werent interested is the Chargers. Why would you let him go to your biggest rival right in your own division?  Even if you weren’t 100% sold on him in 2019, you’re not letting him go to your main rival who’s in need of a RB and face him twice a year. 

Edited by Dexter75
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dexter75 said:

Huh? Let him go play for another team that wanted him? The team he was going to if the Chiefs werent interested is the Chargers. Why would you let him go to the biggest rival in your division? 

He could have gone to the Chargers, Eagles, or Patriots.  All of them were trying to get him.  No way in hell does he go to KC unless he knows he's gonna play.  And I don't know what you're talking about...Reid can't "let" him go anywhere.  Shady was a free agent...he goes where he wants to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1