Joe Odam

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

 

While it's horrible to wish injury on anyone, the most beneficial injury for the KC RBs would be to Mahomes.  Then they will have to shift to a run based attack (or at least a balanced one).  WIth Mahomes there, these guys are like the opposite of the Vikings and Ravens.  They pass first and mix in the run to keep the defense honest.  Usually it's the other way around.

? An injury to Mahomes would tank this offense and NO ONE would be startable.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

 

While it's horrible to wish injury on anyone, the most beneficial injury for the KC RBs would be to Mahomes.  Then they will have to shift to a run based attack (or at least a balanced one).  WIth Mahomes there, these guys are like the opposite of the Vikings and Ravens.  They pass first and mix in the run to keep the defense honest.  Usually it's the other way around.

What !? Kareem Hunt for example had plenty of success because he's talented so therefor he was given the ball  consistently.... Damien Williams is just not that talented plain and simple, the guy is 27 years old he's been pedestrian his entire career aside from a few games last season. He didn't suddenly become a stud overnight as someone stated earlier people over drafted based off him being on the Chiefs. It sucks but no reason to still be in denial. 

Edited by CroNY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CroNY said:

What lol? Kareem Hunt for example had plenty of success because he's talented. Damien Williams is just not that talented plain and simple, the guy is 27 years old he's been pedestrian his entire career aside from a few games last season. He didn't suddenly become a stud overnight as someone stated earlier people over drafted based off him being on the Chiefs It sucks but no reason to still be in denial. 

kurt warner was bagging groceries (NO I'M NOT SAYING HE'S A HALL OF FAMER HALT THE STRAWMAN)

you guys are still mad  that damien smoked you in the playoffs last year

Edited by FritzLn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need for any injury.  Fischer and Wylie get healthy, Reid figures out that Damien Williams is Damien Williams, turns the backfield over to McCoy (run around until his ankle gives out) and "closer" Darrel Williams, return to winning ways.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure you can throw out the small sample size excuse but for the season he's averaging 2.0 yards per attempt in this explosive offense. Drake (coincidentally on Damien's old team) on arguably the worst offense in the league (32nd in points, rushing yards, 31st in passing yards and total yards) through that same span is averaging 3.7 yards per attempt. This is mindboggling.

Translation: The Jaggiest of JAGs in a great situation can't even outproduce an above average back in the worst possible situation.

Edited by WaiverLooter
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, timexsocialclub said:

? An injury to Mahomes would tank this offense and NO ONE would be startable.

 

Maybe, but the rbs would get a lot more work.  See: Pitt.

Also, it's hard to argue that losing Luck hurt Marlon Mack.  Seems like it helped him.  They're running him into the ground now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of the Chiefs RBs are usable. This backfield is as random as New England's--expect you are getting no production out of the KC RBs as of late. Williams had 9 carries last week, 1 this week. McCoy had 0 last week, 8 this week. You aren't getting much if a RB is getting 8-10 carries in a game let alone across two weeks. Moreover, the offense has looked mortal. The entire attraction of this backfield was that it would be a way to get a cut of fantasy gold. If you want to roster one of Williams or McCoy in the hope that one emerges as a lead RB, that is a defensible position, but neither are worth starting right now.

It turns out the SF backfield is what we had hoped the KC backfield would be.  

Personally I am bailing out of this situation. We are now almost 2/5 through the season and the backfield is less valuable than it was at the beginning of the year with no clarity whatsoever on the situation. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, brosephd said:

these losses should help damien somehow right? or at least someone in this run game. 

 

ONE WOULD THINK!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ace_King said:

None of the Chiefs RBs are usable. This backfield is as random as New England's--expect you are getting no production out of the KC RBs as of late. Williams had 9 carries last week, 1 this week. McCoy had 0 last week, 8 this week. You aren't getting much if a RB is getting 8-10 carries in a game let alone across two weeks. Moreover, the offense has looked mortal. The entire attraction of this backfield was that it would be a way to get a cut of fantasy gold. If you want to roster one of Williams or McCoy in the hope that one emerges as a lead RB, that is a defensible position, but neither are worth starting right now.

It turns out the SF backfield is what we had hoped the KC backfield would be.  

Personally I am bailing out of this situation. We are now almost 2/5 through the season and the backfield is less valuable than it was at the beginning of the year with no clarity whatsoever on the situation. 

 

This post is pretty much any and everything that needs to be said in this or the McCoy or the Darrell thread.  Just lock the threads with this post and reopen Friday morning if anything happens that means a damn thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I regretfully drafted Damien in the 3rd round because of the thought of having the "starting RB" on the most prolific offense in the league. It was strange too because I wasn't targeting Damien in my draft. But my pick came up in the 3rd and I saw Damien was available and thought, well s*** the starting RB on the best offense in the league is available! Gotta take him here!

Well, lesson be learned, never draft a player because of a supposed "role" he has over talent. I took him over guys like Carson and Jones but I'll never make that same mistake again. I think I and others here just have to learn from our mistakes this year and move on. Having said that, I still am keeping Damien on my team just because you never know what might happen down the line with injuries or what have you, but he sure as heck won't be sniffing my starting lineup unless I'm desperate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked him in the 4th round, but I do have huge regrets about taking him over Chris Carson. My team already is good, but I can't imagine the possibilities if I had Carson on top of the rest. 

 

The Chief's backfield seems to be one to avoid at the moment. Even though Damien seems to play the majority of snaps, he isn't getting carries and only received 1 target this week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah at this point you can’t comfortably start Williams or McCoy unless you just have to because of a bye week etc .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if he’s not startable and even if another RB has an injury he’s still in a 2 or 3 way split...what’s the point of keeping him? 
 

seems like he’s a drop right now....am I crazy?
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, FritzLn said:

kurt warner was bagging groceries (NO I'M NOT SAYING HE'S A HALL OF FAMER HALT THE STRAWMAN)

you guys are still mad  that damien smoked you in the playoffs last year

That’s a bad analogy. Kurt didn’t suck in the league for 5 years before he busted out. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Klientel said:

if he’s not startable and even if another RB has an injury he’s still in a 2 or 3 way split...what’s the point of keeping him? 
 

seems like he’s a drop right now....am I crazy?
 

 

No you’re not crazy.... but you’re also not acknowledging the possibility Reid starts (wisely) using the run and short passing games more to protect Mahomes.   

 The Chiefs averaged over 5 yards/touch for their running backs...yet only ran the ball 10 times ALL GAME.    With a 17-3 lead.    

This is why Andy Reid loses.   Your line is beat up,  your qb is beat up,  and your backs are effective.    LETS THROW MORE!!! 🙄 

 

watch some tape and figure it out Big Red.  

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Klientel said:

if he’s not startable and even if another RB has an injury he’s still in a 2 or 3 way split...what’s the point of keeping him? 
 

seems like he’s a drop right now....am I crazy?
 

 

 

He's not startable but he's a necessary handcuff if you own McCoy and a decent lottery ticket if you don't.  

What concerns me about him is that he has been so terrible running the ball that they might have Darrel be the primary rusher if McCoy goes down.  If you think that, then there might not be a lot of reason to hold Damien.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

 

He's not startable but he's a necessary handcuff if you own McCoy and a decent lottery ticket if you don't.  

What concerns me about him is that he has been so terrible running the ball that they might have Darrel be the primary rusher if McCoy goes down.  If you think that, then there might not be a lot of reason to hold Damien.

 

my gut tells me that darrel will eventually be the guy. just a matter of whether walrus puts his faith in the youngest/most inexperienced rb on the roster to take the reins. ive stashed darrel where i can. fingers crossed.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

No you’re not crazy.... but you’re also not acknowledging the possibility Reid starts (wisely) using the run and short passing games more to protect Mahomes.   

 The Chiefs averaged over 5 yards/touch for their running backs...yet only ran the ball 10 times ALL GAME.    With a 17-3 lead.    

This is why Andy Reid loses.   Your line is beat up,  your qb is beat up,  and your backs are effective.    LETS THROW MORE!!! 🙄 

 

watch some tape and figure it out Big Red.  

 

 

Sounds like another coach I know

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Klientel said:

if he’s not startable and even if another RB has an injury he’s still in a 2 or 3 way split...what’s the point of keeping him? 
 

seems like he’s a drop right now....am I crazy?
 

 

 

Not crazy, but I am holding for now. For the Chiefs to have any hope at a SB title, they will need to establish some type of run game. They can't expect to beat the Pats or other teams by throwing the ball 45 times a game and running it 10. 

 

This has been an issue for Reid for years. I remember when he had Jamaal Charles, he would sometimes forget he was on the team (he even said this in a presser) and have Alex Smith throw the ball 50 times while giving Charles 8 carries. 

 

Whether Reid decides to use his backs more, I don't know. I'm not saying Williams is Charles at all, but he could be serviceable with 10-15 carries and 4-5 targets a game. The Chiefs will keep losing so long as they play as they have the last two weeks. Mahomes is good, but even Aaron Rodgers could not win without a run game. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Sounds like another coach I know

 

ironically last time this happened to AR he gave up play calling to Nagy who ran Hunt 100 times in 4 weeks ...  😥😥

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, atdharris said:

 

Not crazy, but I am holding for now. For the Chiefs to have any hope at a SB title, they will need to establish some type of run game. They can't expect to beat the Pats or other teams by throwing the ball 45 times a game and running it 10. 

 

This has been an issue for Reid for years. I remember when he had Jamaal Charles, he would sometimes forget he was on the team (he even said this in a presser) and have Alex Smith throw the ball 50 times while giving Charles 8 carries. 

 

Whether Reid decides to use his backs more, I don't know. I'm not saying Williams is Charles at all, but he could be serviceable with 10-15 carries and 4-5 targets a game. The Chiefs will keep losing so long as they play as they have the last two weeks. Mahomes is good, but even Aaron Rodgers could not win without a run game. 

 

You guys will never learn.  Williams will NEVER be a 14-20 touch guy.  EVER.  And if they do decide to run more, it won't be him.  Two weeks ago he had dropped to Rex Burkehead status.  Now he's Dare Ogunbawale.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The_Truth_Returns said:

 

You guys will never learn.  Williams will NEVER be a 14-20 touch guy.  EVER.  And if they do decide to run more, it won't be him.  Two weeks ago he had dropped to Rex Burkehead status.  Now he's Dare Ogunbawale.

 

And maybe you're right... but unless you're in a league with ample other options, who on earth do you drop him for as a RB? I am more than fine holding him on the off chance the running game turns around rather than letting another team hold him and it happens. Hell, even if he can resume his usual pass catching duties, he will be worth a flex if you're in PPR. He still plays the majority of snaps in the KC backfield. He may not be startable right now, but he's not droppable unless you are in a small league or one with extremely shallow benches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, atdharris said:

 

Not crazy, but I am holding for now. For the Chiefs to have any hope at a SB title, they will need to establish some type of run game. They can't expect to beat the Pats or other teams by throwing the ball 45 times a game and running it 10. 

 

This has been an issue for Reid for years. I remember when he had Jamaal Charles, he would sometimes forget he was on the team (he even said this in a presser) and have Alex Smith throw the ball 50 times while giving Charles 8 carries. 

 

Whether Reid decides to use his backs more, I don't know. I'm not saying Williams is Charles at all, but he could be serviceable with 10-15 carries and 4-5 targets a game. The Chiefs will keep losing so long as they play as they have the last two weeks. Mahomes is good, but even Aaron Rodgers could not win without a run game. 

 

Great perspective on Reid.  He needs an adult to keep his pass happy tendencies in check.   Any sign of struggle in the running game and he quickly abandons it regardless of score or gameflow.   

My thought- Bieniemy could end up calling plays at some point this year.   Just a guess...but theres going to be adjustments.   

 

Hold Damien and Shady—Darrell is a drop in all but the deepest league.

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.