Joe Odam

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

2 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i believe the Bolts arrived today - they'll be more acclimated, as per at least having a walk through tomorrow 🤷‍♂️

curious as to the delay for the Chiefs,  but, then again, both of these teams do get exposure to the higher altitude by virtue of one game a year in Denver (though Mexico City is higher, iirc).

btw, i visited San Diego quite often in the early 90s ... had a ton of fun in La Jolla and El Cajon ... and there's nothing like the surf n' turf of Del Mar 🐎  always stayed at Marriott's- perhaps we crossed paths 🤷‍♂️

Yeah man, San Diego is an awesome place to be.  I moved there right after college and stayed most of my 20s (a bit later than you... early-mid 2000s).  I’m back in DC now where I grew up (hence the username, always been a Skins fan, but I used to go to a lot of Chargers games in the heyday of LT and Gates)... I still miss it.

I worked for Hyatt, the hotel I’m referencing is the Hyatt Regency La Jolla.  I also worked at the Manchester Grand Hyatt downtown for a while... we used to get a lot of the MLB teams there... Haha, those guys know how to party. Whole different deal than the NFL teams, who have a strict curfew and a very regimented schedule.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

If they want to punish him for fumbling, they’ll just bench him, or make him inactive on Monday.  Any Damien owner must accept that this is in the realm of possibilities.  Whether they feed the media a line about load management or not is their prerogative, although I doubt it in his case since he’s not a 31-year old veteran, and he’s already missed time this season.

It makes no sense to keep him out of practice as punishment.

Dude, I don’t know any better than you what they are ultimately going to do. McCoy was a game time scratch with a weak excuse of “rest”...when everyone knows it was punishment for fumbles.

Williams had a costly fumble last week, so it’s not beyond the realm of possibilities that they will game time scratch him for the same reason.

I’m not here to $hit on anyone’s fantasy day, just trying to put out a fair warning based on recent president. Take it for what you will...

Edited by RandyShackleford
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RandyShackleford said:

Dude, I don’t know any better than you what they are ultimately going to do. McCoy was a game time scratch with a weak excuse of “rest”...when everyone knows it was punishment for fumbles. Williams had a costly fumble last week, so it’s not beyond the realm of possibilities that they will game time scratch him for the same reason. I’m not here to $hit on anyone’s fantasy day, just trying to put out a fair warning based on recent president. Take it for what you will...

My guess is Reid had a specific talk beforehand with McCoy about the way he holds the ball like a loaf of bread... and he got pissed bc LeSean ignored his warning.  Those two go way back, and I’m guessing they’ve had that talk more than once.

The Damien fumble was very costly, but it wasn’t like he was carrying the ball irresponsibly.  I’d be surprised if he gets the LeSean treatment.

Dude, I don’t know any better than you what they are ultimately going to do. McCoy was a game time scratch with a weak excuse of “rest”...when everyone knows it was punishment for fumbles. Williams had a costly fumble last week, so it’s not beyond the realm of possibilities that they will game time scratch him for the same reason. I’m not here to $hit on anyone’s fantasy day, just trying to put out a fair warning based on recent president. Take it for what you will...

The point is this, as someone else mentioned - If they wanted to do what they did to McCoy (bench him but not embarrass him by making an excuse for it), they would not have Damien skip practice.  Even if their plan was to hand the reins back to McCoy, they would want Damien prepared for the game in case McCoy got hurt or something.  He needs to know the game plan.  They could make any old excuse for going back to McCoy.

The fact that Damien wasn't at practice at all means that there really is a personal issue going on.

I think the real question is if they want a workhorse or a split backfield. If it's the former, I suspect we're good. If it's the latter, we can point to the fumble as the reason why Williams didn't seize the role. Though I don't see how giving more backs touches will solve the TO issue and it's not like Williams has a history of fumbling. The writing on the wall is still in favor of Williams I guess, but additional smoke (personal? questionable?) is unnerving. 

3 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

The point is this, as someone else mentioned - If they wanted to do what they did to McCoy (bench him but not embarrass him by making an excuse for it), they would not have Damien skip practice.  Even if their plan was to hand the reins back to McCoy, they would want Damien prepared for the game in case McCoy got hurt or something.  He needs to know the game plan.  They could make any old excuse for going back to McCoy.

The fact that Damien wasn't at practice at all means that there really is a personal issue going on.

Clearly you want to believe. What is more embarrassing?...practice all week then be a health scratch for “rest,” or be a healthy scratch but have “personal reasons” keeping you from playing.

I’d say KC realizes that nobody bought the “rest” BS last week, and are trying harder to save face for Williams  

Heres the real story: fumble and cost us a game...You get benched!

They will sell whatever media narrative is necessary, but Williams just got knocked down a peg. 

• Haha 1

Yeah they wouldn’t hold him out of practice for no reason even if they were going to let McCoy take over the backfield again. That, and do we even know if McCoy is going to play this week?

They've come up with every excuse to NOT give McCoy the job. That hasn't changed. He didn't know the plays, he didn't know the pass pro, load management, fumbling, etc. This is still Damien's backfield. They prefer Damien, and every tangible bit of evidence supports that. 

14 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

They've come up with every excuse to NOT give McCoy the job. That hasn't changed. He didn't know the plays, he didn't know the pass pro, load management, fumbling, etc. This is still Damien's backfield. They prefer Damien, and every tangible bit of evidence supports that. 

It’s funny because you’re literally laying out the argument for McCoy...yeah, they’ve made this and that excuse, but time and time again McCoy has proven superior in all aspects. How many weeks was Williams healthy without taking the lead role? 

McCoy got benched for fumbling, despite being superior in all aspects you describe. Williams just cost them a game by fumbling and suddenly has, “personal reasons” for not practicing.

Show’s over folks....your 2nd/3rd round pick is still a bust. Not saying McCoy is the man going forward, but your dreams of Williams winning you your league are no more. He’s firmly a turd. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RandyShackleford said:

Williams had a costly fumble last week, so it’s not beyond the realm of possibilities that they will game time scratch him for the same reason.

Possibly, but it was during tackling, as opposed to McCoy carrying a loaf of bread around. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RandyShackleford said:

It’s funny because you’re literally laying out the argument for McCoy...yeah, they’ve made this and that excuse, but time and time again McCoy has proven superior in all aspects. How many weeks was Williams healthy without taking the lead role? 

McCoy got benched for fumbling, despite being superior in all aspects you describe. Williams just cost them a game by fumbling and suddenly has, “personal reasons” for not practicing.

Show’s over folks....your 2nd/3rd round pick is still a bust. Not saying McCoy is the man going forward, but your dreams of Williams winning you your league are no more. He’s firmly a turd. 

How much did it hurt when Damien crushed you in the playoffs last year?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, RandyShackleford said:

I’d say KC realizes that nobody bought the “rest” BS last week, and are trying harder to save face for Williams  

Disagree.

Having Damien skip 2 practices when they are fighting for a playoff spot, just to "save face"?  No way.  Benching McCoy and then afterward saying some b.s. to save face actually does make sense.  They took the action that they wanted (benched McCoy), then covered it up.

I see no way that they told Damien to skip practice because they planned on benching him.  That's basically what you're implying and it makes zero sense.  They can have him practice, bench him, and have him prepared to play if necessary.  They can tell the media whatever garbage they want, as they obviously did with McCoy.  "Oh, we felt the game plan suited McCoy better".  "Oh, we felt McCoy was fresher and more effective in practice.".  Any old garbage would suffice.  They don't need to have Damien skip practice!

An excused missed practice really points to something going on in Damien's personal life.

Edited by Brownsfan74

7 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Disagree.

Having Damien skip 2 practices when they are fighting for a playoff spot, just to "save face"?  No way.  Benching McCoy and then afterward saying some b.s. to save face actually does make sense.  They took the action that they wanted (benched McCoy), then covered it up.

I see no way that they told Damien to skip practice because they planned on benching him.  That's basically what you're implying and it makes zero sense.  They can have him practice, bench him, and have him prepared to play if necessary.  They can tell the media whatever garbage they want, as they obviously did with McCoy.  "Oh, we felt the game plan suited McCoy better".  "Oh, we felt McCoy was fresher and more effective in practice.".  Any old garbage would suffice.  They don't need to have Damien skip practice!

An excused missed practice really points to something going on in Damien's personal life.

Dude, justify whatever you want...all I’ve laid out is more plausible than whatever excuses you Williams fan boys want to believe. Let’s leave it here, and touch base week 16 after you’ve come in 2nd, 3rd, 4th......whatever place in your league. 

Dude, justify whatever you want...all I’ve laid out is more plausible than whatever excuses you Williams fan boys want to believe

No...what you’ve laid out isn’t plausible at all, and actually makes very little sense. 

Just now, JoeJoe88 said:

No...what you’ve laid out isn’t plausible at all, and actually makes very little sense. 

Guess we’ll see on game day. Over under on McCoy out snapping Williams?

2 minutes ago, RandyShackleford said:

I was going to write something funny about placing an over/under on a yes/no question but then my brain exploded

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, RandyShackleford said:

Not sure anyone is betting on a “healthy scratch” out snapping Darwin at this point.

1 minute ago, TheAuthorityHere said:

Not sure anyone is betting on a “healthy scratch” out snapping Darwin at this point.

So you’re on the record for Williams...let’s see in 24 hrs how that holds up

Did the Chiefs actually say McCoy was a healthy scratch for rest? He got benched because he stinks, has bad ball security, and can't pass protect. You think Damien would keep his mouth shut if his team/employer is faking news of personal reasons to keep him from participating? C'mon

39 minutes ago, RandyShackleford said:

I have no horse in this race but in terms of the real evidence we have, ignoring coach speak, Damien was the starter to open the season, and he immediately reclaimed that role once he returned from injury. McCoy has been productive from a fantasy perspective 2 weeks out of 10, and Damien was absent in both. I'm not saying Damien was a good pick or will win leagues for people, but he's the 1A in this backfield. 

27 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

and he immediately reclaimed that role once he returned from injury

This part is not true. I have no horse in the race either, but it took three weeks and two McCoy fumbles for Damien to reclaims the lead for the first time last week. He had been healthy the whole time leading up until then. 

I get that this is a Damien fan boy thread, but it’s simply not as cut and dry as you all want to believe. It’s anyone’s backfield at this point...

Reid is obviously setting up a Darrel Williams take over, I can't believe no one else is seeing this... 

• Like 4

Here's a potential scenario:

Pt. I:  Reid tells Damien he will be a healthy scratch this week v. LAC.  Damien gets pissed and leaves the team.  KC goes into spin mode and says Damien is away from the team for personal reasons.  No Damien this week.

Pt. II:  Damien does not travel with the team to Mexico.  We all throw McCoy into our lineups.  And then Reid trolls us by giving Darrel Williams 20 carries.

Chiefs win.

• Like 1