Joe Odam

Damien Williams 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

ūüôĄ

 

I'll do it for you.   Even though I'm not sure why it's difficult to quote what you were referring to in the first place.  These are the only statistics I've posted .

 

As I pointed out 3 times there is an error on playerprofiler.com (one of the most often used site for metrics).

 

Correct he was #12 not #112.

 

He was #51 evaded tackles.  He has 9 evaded tackles in 4 starts.  Cool.

 

I do not hate Damien Williams.  I am reluctant to draft him based on the risks involved.

Im in the same boat. I think he will be fine on the cheifs but i dont want to spend anything more than a 3rd on him. They way hes being talked about makes it sound like some people will grab him in the first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

I do not hate Damien Williams.  I am reluctant to draft him based on the risks involved.

I have mostly held Damien Williams in contempt during his lackluster NFL career.  Partly because I watched way more Dolphins games than was probably good for me.

But Williams really shone last year for KC down the stretch and in the playoffs.  And part of the reason may have been that opposing defenses were more worried about Mahomes, Kelce and Hill.

Being the starting running back in a very dangerous offense is a valuable role in fantasy, even if said running back really isn't that good on his own merits.

In this case, who really is the competition?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I have mostly held Damien Williams in contempt during his lackluster NFL career.  Partly because I watched way more Dolphins games than was probably good for me.

 

In this case, who really is the competition?

That's kind of the point for anyone who is reluctant to draft him in the 3rd.  He wasn't just mediocre in Miami, he was terrible.  It seems pretty obvious that his success in KC is more because of the system than his overall talent.  This system seems like it could turn just about anybody into a successful RB (as long as they can catch).  I'm not a big fan of Darwin Thompson, but I could still see Darrel Williams or even James Williams succeeding if given an opportunity at any point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2019 at 2:44 AM, RMJ_12 said:

It's called statistics.  He was #112 in yards created per touch last season.  He was #51 in evaded tackles.


False.  He was 12th in Yards per Touch.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Reid's clarification that Damien will be the guy, I'm no longer thinking he's going to lose all that many carries while starting. The concern I have is simply if he'll remain the starter all season long. A few subpar games and Ried might want to consider a new bell cow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He also spoke on the complexity of head coach Andy Reid and offensive coordinator Eric Bienemy‚Äôs offense, stating that, ‚Äúthey just want to see how far they can push you, and see where you can go.‚ÄĚ He said that he wanted to ‚Äúmake the uncomfortable, comfortable,‚ÄĚ continuing by saying that he is getting more involved in the offense and doing things out wide, not just in the backfield.

 

 

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2019/06/07/damien-williams-enters-2019-same-mentality-as-starter/amp/

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 10:36 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

Being the starting running back in a very dangerous offense is a valuable role in fantasy, even if said running back really isn't that good on his own merits.

In this case, who really is the competition?

i have not been a damien williams proponent on this thread. my stance has been to avoid damien williams as we watched his over-inflated ADP climb from round 3 into round 2. seemed to me a better call to draft hyde seven rounds later, and/or darwin thompson at RB58. no one has been able to convince me otherwise.

 

but now i see the CBS experts are labeling hyde and darwin as sleepers: Jamey Eisenberg, Dave Richard & Heath Cummings have singled out this duo in their obligatory superficial sleeper list:

Hyde was a quality running back with the 49ers in 2016 and 2017, and he was serviceable with the Browns last season before being traded to the Jaguars. In his first four games with Cleveland, Hyde averaged 15.3 PPR points a game. He's also underrated as a receiver, having caught 59 passes with San Francisco in 2017. Hyde could be the best running back in Kansas City this year, and that's someone you want on your Fantasy team. Thompson, who was a sixth-round pick in the NFL Draft out of Utah State, could be the surprise of the roster. He had 153 carries for 1,044 yards (6.8 yards per carry) and 14 touchdowns, as well as 23 catches for 351 yards and two touchdowns last season. I'm trusting Andy Reid and his history of running backs, but I'm also looking for value. So, pass on Williams at the top of the draft, and look for Hyde in the middle rounds or Thompson at the end. You'll be happy if you do.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/fantasy-football-sleepers-2-0-rookies-kyler-murray-darrell-henderson-lead-the-way/?ftag=SNL-04-10aaa0d

 

to me, this endorsement of hyde and darwin by CBS is a far greater confirmation of damien williams’ lock on the position than andy reid's and bienemy's statements. the reliability of CBS to poorly predict breakouts has been nothing short of nostradamien.

moving damien williams up the board

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get why the HC/whoever saying "he's our starter" is at all meaningful. It's not like they never lie about such things.

I'm just amazed that this guy has gotten nearly 40 pages of discussion. :) I sure as hell wouldn't trust him as my RB1, even on a strong passing team, but that's me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Sack Exchange said:

to me, this endorsement of hyde and darwin by CBS is a far greater confirmation of damien williams’ lock on the position than andy reid's and bienemy's statements. the reliability of CBS to poorly predict breakouts has been nothing short of nostradamien.

moving damien williams up the board

8

 

LOL. That's funny as hell.

I'm not a huge fan of handcuffing players, but some RBs need a handcuff. If I did end up with Damien Williams, I'd definitely look to handcuff him with Hyde, but that's the only way Hyde would make my roster.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sack Exchange said:

i have not been a damien williams proponent on this thread. my stance has been to avoid damien williams as we watched his over-inflated ADP climb from round 3 into round 2. seemed to me a better call to draft hyde seven rounds later, and/or darwin thompson at RB58. no one has been able to convince me otherwise.

 

 

 

but now i see the CBS experts are labeling hyde and darwin as sleepers: Jamey Eisenberg, Dave Richard & Heath Cummings have singled out this duo in their obligatory superficial sleeper list:

 

Hyde was a quality running back with the 49ers in 2016 and 2017, and he was serviceable with the Browns last season before being traded to the Jaguars. In his first four games with Cleveland, Hyde averaged 15.3 PPR points a game. He's also underrated as a receiver, having caught 59 passes with San Francisco in 2017. Hyde could be the best running back in Kansas City this year, and that's someone you want on your Fantasy team. Thompson, who was a sixth-round pick in the NFL Draft out of Utah State, could be the surprise of the roster. He had 153 carries for 1,044 yards (6.8 yards per carry) and 14 touchdowns, as well as 23 catches for 351 yards and two touchdowns last season. I'm trusting Andy Reid and his history of running backs, but I'm also looking for value. So, pass on Williams at the top of the draft, and look for Hyde in the middle rounds or Thompson at the end. You'll be happy if you do.

 

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/fantasy-football-sleepers-2-0-rookies-kyler-murray-darrell-henderson-lead-the-way/?ftag=SNL-04-10aaa0d

 

 

 

to me, this endorsement of hyde and darwin by CBS is a far greater confirmation of damien williams’ lock on the position than andy reid's and bienemy's statements. the reliability of CBS to poorly predict breakouts has been nothing short of nostradamien.

moving damien williams up the board

 

 

And he was only serviceable with Cleveland because he scored at least one TD every game.  He only averaged over 4 ypc in one of those games.  And it's already been covered why his 2017 receiving statistics were an extreme outlier, and he only caught 60 balls that year on pure volume alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 8:57 PM, RMJ_12 said:

That's kind of the point for anyone who is reluctant to draft him in the 3rd.  He wasn't just mediocre in Miami, he was terrible.  It seems pretty obvious that his success in KC is more because of the system than his overall talent.  This system seems like it could turn just about anybody into a successful RB (as long as they can catch).  I'm not a big fan of Darwin Thompson, but I could still see Darrel Williams or even James Williams succeeding if given an opportunity at any point.

The system makes plenty of mediocre talents at RB's relevant. Shanny's system does it every season and so did Shanny Sr. in Denver/Washington. Reid can churn out fantasy relevant RB's regardless of talent and has done so his entire coaching career. He has also benefited from having some great ones like Westbrook, Charles, Hunt, and Duce.

The competition is severely lacking in KC, so I fully expect Damien to hold onto that lead role. He is their best option catching the ball, which goes a long way in the Reid offense. If the Chiefs had a bonafide star in the wings ready to take over it would be a concern, but they don't.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bomont said:

I'm just amazed that this guy has gotten nearly 40 pages of discussionÔĽŅ.

I can summarize the past 40 pages for you (and most likely the next 40):

- Damien Williams will be a bell-cow

- Damien Williams is terrible

- Yeah, but Reid's system makes him a bell-cow

- Yeah, but he's still terrible.

tumblr_p6elm2euws1wp6e43o4_250.gif

As a tip on these forums, the longest and most heated threads are rarely the most useful.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

As a tip on these forums, the longest and most heated threads are rarely the most useful.

Except for the OJ Howard forum of course

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

IAs a tip on these forums, the longest and most heated threads are rarely the most useful.

News I can use, ty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I can summarize the past 40 pages for you (and most likely the next 40):

- Damien Williams will be a bell-cow

- Damien Williams is terrible

- Yeah, but Reid's system makes him a bell-cow

- Yeah, but he's still terrible.

tumblr_p6elm2euws1wp6e43o4_250.gif

As a tip on these forums, the longest and most heated threads are rarely the most useful.

You forgot the add in a blurb about Carlos Hyde.

I'm not sure what to think of this guy anymore.  I'm on, I'm off, I'm on, I'm off...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

25 minutes ago, CooL said:
17 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I can summarize the past 40 pages for you (and most likely the next 40):

- Damien Williams will be a bell-cow

- Damien Williams is terrible

- Yeah, but Reid's system makes him a bell-cow

- Yeah, but he's still terrible.

tumblr_p6elm2euws1wp6e43o4_250.gif

As a tip on these forums, the longest and most heated threads are rarely the most useful.

 

You forgot the add in a blurb about Carlos Hyde.

I'm not sure what to think of this guy anymore.  I'm on, I'm off, I'm on, I'm off...

 

And entirely omitted (intentionally?) the blurb about UDFA James Williams being the closest measurable player to Kareem Hunt, even surpassing hunt in elusiveness at the collegiate level. Once James Williams has eliminated Darwin Thompson and hyde in preseason, he'll only have Damien Williams to contend with for lead back duties.

img.jpg

Edited by cohenstantinople
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye

The answer on the very first post directly after draft should have been 'James Williams'

Possibly the best pass catching back of the class.

Edited by steevio_uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^doubt the defenses change much if Tyreek ends up playing

but I could definitely see his efficiency decreasing if given a full season workload 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

 

This tweet is silly. Base defensive formations are barely used any more. Teams rarely have more than 2 LB's on the field at a time. Nickel and dime packages are being used more often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, devaster said:

This tweet is silly. Base defensive formations are barely used any more. Teams rarely have more than 2 LB's on the field at a time. Nickel and dime packages are being used more often.

plus, the pressing question on this thread is, Who will be the guy?, because we all agree that whoever takes the mantle as the chiefs' RB1 will be worthy and sought after. damien williams certainly has the leg-up in this backfield. defenses will do what defenses do, but andy reid's #1 will make all but the best defenses look like middle-school kids suffering a great loss.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-17362-1378920567-8.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sack Exchange said:

plus, the pressing question on this thread is, Who will be the guy?, because we all agree that whoever takes the mantle as the chiefs' RB1 will be worthy and sought after. damien williams certainly has the leg-up in this backfield. defenses will do what defenses do, but andy reid's #1 will make all but the best defenses look like middle-school kids suffering a great loss.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-17362-1378920567-8.

 

RB in that gif looks like Derrick Henry

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sack Exchange said:

plus, the pressing question on this thread is, Who will be the guy?, because we all agree that whoever takes the mantle as the chiefs' RB1 will be worthy and sought after. damien williams certainly has the leg-up in this backfield. defenses will do what defenses do, but andy reid's #1 will make all but the best defenses look like middle-school kids suffering a great loss.

I don't think that's the question at all.  We know who the guy is in week 1.  The question is can he keep his job?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sack Exchange said:

 

anigif_enhanced-buzz-17362-1378920567-8.

 

I love this kid who comes in late and throws a nice block in the back on #51. That kids gonna be a oaklan raider some day

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

 

I love this kid who comes in late and throws a nice block in the back on #51. That kids gonna be a oaklan raider some day

 

i was thinking a "young vontaze burfict" before i read your post, who amazingly enough is now an oakland raider

burfict-goes-low-on-bennett.gif?w=1000

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.