BackyardBaseball

Julio Urias 2019 Outlook

5 hours ago, MrPositive said:

Dude could be a top 10 starter in the league (and was their #1 prospect for several years too) and he’s going to the pen lmfao He looked absolutely ridiculous last night. Why not send Maeda to the pen, who will end up there anyways?

Do you think the Dodgers would prefer him to start games in the regular season or postseason? They are going to make it to the playoffs. No reason to waste bullets.

Will be closely watching whether he's inserted into high leverage situations. If he's able to start earning holds he'll be gold in leagues that count that stat with his SP/RP designation. His FB velocity is already up 2 MPH from last year, just imagine how it plays in the pen in 1-2 inning outings. Sign me up!

Maeda got destroyed again. I cannot for the life of me understand how they can keep this ridiculous talent out of the starting pitching rotation. I get he's on a innings count this season, but geesh.

• Like 2

What’s his path to SP status? Injury/poor performance  to someone else? 

37 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

Probably injury unless someone really poops their pants in the rotation. Even then best I can tell Stripling is the next man up so you'd need 2 spots to open up. The Dodgers are hard to predict though and they manipulate the IL more than anyone in the league though so I would guess he has more starts in his future this year. 

Problem is even if everything breaks right he's still a huge young talent coming off of serious injury and almost assuredly has a firm and relatively low inning limit this year.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, phisouza33 said:

Since taken out of the rotation, he has pitched twice, every 5 days for 2 innings each. At that pace, he will be at about 72 innings come September. If they intend on starting him in the playoffs, they want to stretch him back out in September. He will be at 80 innings by middle of September if he continues to relieve, then starting 3 games of 5 innings each from then on brings him to 95 innings by end of season.

Walker Buehler pitched 97 innings (A+, AA, AAA and MLB) a year after pitching only 5 innings after tommy john. Maybe we will see something similar. In that case, I cannot see him starting any time soon even if injuries were to hit.

Edited by lassetjus
  • Like 1

Looks to have some solid value pitching in relief now. He picked up 2 saves last week and seems that should be the norm moving forward with him pitching 2-3 times a week with an occasional save or win. 

1 hour ago, radioflyer9 said:

Looks to have some solid value pitching in relief now. He picked up 2 saves last week and seems that should be the norm moving forward with him pitching 2-3 times a week with an occasional save or win. 

I'm hanging on to him in the hopes that this comes true and becomes the norm. Plus I believe he will start again at some point this year. 

yea I think LAD wants to use him for multiple inns in less appearances  rather than just 1 inn in more appearances which means more saves 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

yea I think LAD wants to use him for multiple inns in less appearances  rather than just 1 inn in more appearances which means more saves 

But less saves+holds...

Per TMZ, Julio Urias was arrested for domestic violence yesterday. 

If the video is legit what kind of suspension is he looking at? Osuna got 75 and I think Russell was around that as well. From a purely baseball point of view, this is an easy way for the Dodgers to limit his innings. 

Just now, mavsfan23 said:

If the video is legit what kind of suspension is he looking at? Osuna got 75 and I think Russell was around that as well. From a purely baseball point of view, this is an easy way for the Dodgers to limit his innings. 

Probably same as the Giants CEO.  Based on witness accounts sounds pretty similar.  

2 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Those 2 clubs most recently showed support for players accused abuse.  I’m guessing he’s saying they don’t care if an athlete commits that act as long as they can help the team.  Osuna and Addy Russell.

I'd care more about Russell sucking. Not worth the media headache for a guy who is probably league average at best.  Yankees also got Chapman for free from the Reds who panic traded him, and even re-signed him for a ton of money.

Also Sano was accused of abuse too and the Twins did nothing.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Probably same as the Giants CEO.  Based on witness accounts sounds pretty similar.  

Though one is a front office guy and the other is a player, so even if it's the same situation I'm guessing the backlash won't be quite the same. And public backlash can influence the punishment.

That’s great.  I click on this thread hoping that a Dodgers starter got injured & they’re inserting Urias into the rotation, and instead I get this.  What a bonehead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Though one is a front office guy and the other is a player, so even if it's the same situation I'm guessing the backlash won't be quite the same. And public backlash can influence the punishment.

correct. Baer for the giants really got nothing. no one knows him. he is not a player. he is a suit. the player will always get more and they will make it stick unlike some faceless CEO type.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

I assume we're all just waiting until the Dodgers make a statement?

Well this is step one I guess.  Not the Dodgers but MLB though:

Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that Major League Baseball has placed Julio Urias on 7-day administrative leave.

Urias was arrested Monday night in Los Angeles on suspicion of domestic battery. There aren't many other official details available at this time, though a witness told TMZ Sports that Urias was arguing with a woman in a parking lot and then shoved her to the ground. He was transported to a jail in downtown Los Angeles and got released at 4:30 a.m. ET on Tuesday morning after posting $20,000 bail.

Source: Bill Shaikin on Twitter                                 May 14, 2019, 5:47 PM ET

Another ball player being an a**hole.  When will these guys ever learn.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

7 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

From a purely baseball point of view, this is an easy way for the Dodgers to limit his innings. 

download.png.276e28f1f9d40f5dcb9699e1511365f6.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Does that mean he won't get suspended? I mean I heard he had no 'intent to injure'. Doesn't sound like typical case.

Even if it's 'on the minor side' I hope they drop the hammer on him, and I know you were just paraphrasing @Jericho, so by no means am I attacking your post or you in any way. This stuff has gotta stop and MLB, along with all the other sports (and society in general) have to stop turning a blind eye. 

Maeda is goin on DL. If that makes him relevant, Not sure