BackyardBaseball

Julio Urias 2019 Outlook

Sounds like Kershaw, Ryu, Buehler, Hill, Maeda with Urias still out of the 5 man rotation

9 minutes ago, NolanRyan said:

Sounds like Kershaw, Ryu, Buehler, Hill, Maeda with Urias still out of the 5 man rotation

Hill is out until September isn’t he?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Whizzinator said:

Hill is out until September isn’t he?

You're right. Looks like Urias should have a shot at the 5 man rotation until Stripling gets back

45 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Starting against the Rockies in Colorado.

Ii0jWU1.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Stoper54 said:

Bulking/opener or traditional start? That will make my decision whether to start

There will probably be an opener, but I could see Urias pitching 4 or 5 innings.

Pick him up immediately. He's #1 in HH%. #1 in EV. He had a terrific rookie year before he got hurt and was throwing 93. Now he's throwing 95.

Wind was blowing out at Coors and defense was inexplicably bad.

You already know there's good chance he's a starter with no restriction in September.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Coors park factors are the highest they’ve been since the turn of the century.  Now at 1.61, with the next highest being 1.1

I’m guessing most of us benched Urias last night.

• Like 1

Any idea what his next matchup will be?

2 hours ago, Baur10 said:

Any idea what his next matchup will be?

Isn't Stripling on a very short DL stint? Urias might be right back to the pen.

Is this guy an opener or a starter now with stripling hurt? Is he even stretched out to go more than 2 innings? 

5 hours ago, FoulPole said:

Is this guy an opener or a starter now with stripling hurt? Is he even stretched out to go more than 2 innings? 

There’s no telling what the Dodgers are going to do with any of their pitchers. Even 100% healthy guys could hit the DL any day. I think Urias could handle 50ish pitches to begin stretching him out, but again who knows what the Dodgers plan to do. 

Does he even open next season as a starter? I’m growing impatient with the dodgers baby glove mentality with him. 

13 hours ago, phisouza33 said:

Does he even open next season as a starter? I’m growing impatient with the dodgers baby glove mentality with him. 

According to a blurb on MLB Trade Rumors, the Dodgers are very likely to use him as a starter for 2020. Probably going to just play setup guy for the bulk of the remainder of this season, though.

18 hours ago, pjoner said:

is there a point in holding onto this guy?

I dropped...even his 2-3 inning appearances lately have been shaky with modest K rates. You aren't getting Hader 2.0 out there. If he isn't giving you sparkling ratios, he gives nothing at this point (QS, holds for my league)

Posted (edited)

This weekend SPs are Buehler-Maeda-Ryu.  Mon-Tues TBD.  He last pitched 5 days ago. If he starts Monday it'll be 9 days between starts.  Can't be good.  How long will he go, 2-3 IP?  Stripling suffered a setback and I think that screwed up plans and impacted Urias' (non)usage.

Last 14 days Urias pitched a grand total of 5 (bad) innings.   Useless.  Lesson re-learned with Dodger pitchers.  Questionable "value" on draft day next year.  Let someone else play with Maeda, Stripling, Hill and Urias...

Edited by Morat

Kids a stud, but I will be damned if I understand how they are handling him. Im all for managing his innings, but the lack of a defined role just seems like they are shooting from the hip.  I dont know, seems a little damned if ya do,  damed if ya dont for fantasy owners.

Thoughts on him in a dynasty league? Is he going to be a starter next year?

3 hours ago, bigpinero said:

Thoughts on him in a dynasty league? Is he going to be a starter next year?

Dynasty wise he will be a starter next year, but probably not full time until the year after that.  I have him right ahead of whoever you consider the best pitching prospect in baseball.  

• Thanks 1

He's definitely starting next year. Dodgers are stretching him out in minors as we speak for a starter role in the playoffs. It's possible he gets a start or two to close out the season. Might wanna check the last 10 game schedule

[Posts removed.  Urias' domestic violence incident has been discussed previously, and he has served his suspension for the behavior.  There is no further value in discussing the incident here.]

Looks like he's moving back into the rotation. He's scheduled to start tomorrow and throw 45 pitches, which means he's lined up to start twice next week. One of the starts will be against Baltimore. The question is what his pitch count will be up to in that next start. If he's throwing 45 tomorrow, anyone have any idea how many more he will likely be allowed to throw the next time out?

In H2H leagues I don’t see the point in owning him. Playoffs have started for most leagues.  He went 2 innings in his one start at Rancho, he probably goes 3 innings (45 pitches) tomorrow.

My guess is the dodgers ramp him up really slowly. If you can wait, or in a roto league he’s worth a pickup. 

The Dogers ultimate goal is to get him ramped up for their playoffs not our fantasy playoffs 

Edited by to_be_quite_frank