Rotoworld.com Forums

Andrew Luck 2019 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

It seems some members have some strong opinions about Luck's retirement, which is to be expected given the timing, but those opinions need to be expressed in conformance with the site guidelines.  In particular, this means no political discussion, no attacking other members, and no offensive language.  If the discussion here does not stay focused on football, then this thread will be locked for a lengthy cooling off period, and users will be subject to a suspension of posting privileges.

The guy probably wants to be able to enjoy his later years of life without having to be damn near crippled.  I can't say I blame him for that.  As an owner it realllllllllllllllllly sucks but I get it.  I had Patrick Willis and that other Niners LB who abruptly retired after a great rookie year do the same thing to me in the past.  Ultimately, it's their livelihood.  I'm trying my best to respect that even though that leaves my dynasty with a gaping big hole now.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally this guy got some bad karma  

What do you guys think this news will do to his ADP?

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

People don’t realize how big of a deal he was coming out.  I swear Elway pressured the Broncos to start Tebow in ‘11 in an attempt to tank for Luck (and hated Tebow for winning).

It’s amazing looking back, RG3 and Tannehill are going to end up with longer NFL careers than Luck despite being busts.

This

How quickly people forget

7 hours ago, Sternes said:

I wonder if the Colts had a heads up.  There were rumors of teams interested in Brissett and they declined offers.

I remember Barry Sanders retirement catching people off guard, but IIRC Sanders at least did it during the summer.  Luck doing this two weeks before the season starts!?!?  Has anyone ever done this before?

Worrilow the day before

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, rotoguy74 said:

"Reason #4 to hold your drafts late........."

I much prefer managing my team through the preseason, I also prefer week 17. Yeah, in one league I no longer have a QB, but I also drafted Josh Gordon really late & rookies Damien Harris & Alexander Mattison have shown some promise. Now we're all on top of what the Texans are going to do at RB. I don't have a handheld with an alert app, so any number of my league-mates are apt to beat me to Miller's replacement but that's okay too. The little phrase "Via Mobile Device" is something I've got to whack! 😄 

as a luck dynasty owner im not even that surprised this happened 

i've had absolutely no qb luck for years ( 2 qb league ) and now i have no luck period lol 

i always thought he was a weird guy but i dont know him personally thats just from what i see in interviews 

i think he will take this year off and come back that is my prediction and hope i guess 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Sivaro said:

He did it 2 weeks before the season starts, and he walked away from everyone that supported him and gave him that money at almost the worst time possible.  No time to draft, trade or even get your backups ready.

Wrong.   Brissett got all of the starter reps this off season.  He's ready to go.

I think part of this decision was spurred by the opposite of narcissism. This injury was mysterious and not healing normally, like his previous shoulder pain, and Luck didn't want to keep the coaches, players, and fans in limbo indefinitely.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I play in 6 leagues and I do not own Luck or TY Hilton.  I have Hines in 1 league.

This guy is a damn coward!  Another softy from Stanford.  Injury concern?  Nope.  Mental issues, really?  Middle of pre-season on a Super Bowl contending team?

Stanford is an outstanding school.  If I owned an NFL team and my GM used a 7th round draft pick on a player from Stanford, he’d be fired the next morning!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just a guy with a bad body that does not heal quickly. Ad in a little different / educated personality and you get this. We love Fantasy, and Football, really, it should be way down on our list of importance in the real world. And there it is, right above mine, "a coward" sure he is... It took more guts to do what he did then to sit on the bench and pretend to care.

People put their own situation, OWNING HIM in a league before the guys life. Amazing how Obtuse and out of touch with reality people have become in this world of "give ME ME ME more more more.

Edited by LivyDream
mistake
  • Like 7
17 minutes ago, LivyDream said:

Just a guy with a bad body that does not heal quickly. Ad in a little different / educated personality and you get this. We love Fantasy, and Football, really, it should be way down on our list of importance in the real world. And there it is, right above mine, "a coward" sure he is... It took more guts to do what he did then to sit on the bench and pretend to care.

People put their own situation, OWNING HIM in a league before the guys life. Amazing how Obtuse and out of touch with reality people have become in this world of "give ME ME ME more more more.

Don’t be late yoga today!

9 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

A lot of strange comments in this thread.

Let's break this down. Dude missed basically two years with a shoulder injury that no one could really pinpont what the problem was.

Then he has a high-ankle/calf injury that once again no one can really peg what it even is. Essentially he was in the same state of ambiguity with this injury as he was with his previous injury.

Just a theory but maybe he was sick and tired of following protocols for undefined injuries. Maybe the Colts' medical staff is on loan from the Mets. Or maybe he's just not cut out physically to withstand the beating of an NFL QB.

This is an absolute shame because I expected to see this dude in a yellow jacket one day. Been a fan since his Stanford days (who wouldn't have been). 

The entire league loses big on this one. This benefits no one.

Except the XFL

Some of the posts here are ridiculous but not unexpected. At the end of the day, it's a game. This guy has a life and while some may think that he owes you something, he doesn't. He has the same right to enjoy his life as anyone else. Does it sucks for the Colts and their fans? Sure it does. But that doesn't justify the reaction.

The last thing I'll say, if you haven't gone through a major injury as an athlete you have no idea the mental toll is takes. Months of rehab, constant pain, forced to watch but not play, and then you finally get back and you suffer another setback/new injury. It messes with your head.

The guy had a great career. If you think badly of him because his retirement negatively impacts your fantasy team then you take this s--- way too seriously.

• Like 7

Andrew Luck is smarter than every person who has ever visited this website.

He has the IQ to do and be anything he wants and is 1 of very few people who possess the ability to make more money after the NFL that he did during his time in the NFL.

I owned 0 shares so it's easy for me to say. Enjoy your life and your health Mr. luck and if you decide to leave enough innuedo out there to intimate a comeback causing my dynasty opponents to keep you rostered then I'd be just fine with that as well.

• Like 1

What was shameful was the treatment of Luck by his own supposed fans. Colts fans should have respected Luck's decision whether or not they liked or agreed with it at least enough not to publicly humiliate him. Every player has every right to hang them up at any time. We forget that football players are a special bunch of athletes not just because they're strong or fast or skilled but because they embrace a sport that is practically guaranteed to bring tremendous pain and serious injuries. NFL players are far more than well-paid for their performances while they last but so many of these guys continue to suffer long after they hang em up. For these guys, the best case scenario is just chronic but manageable pain and all the other scenarios are bad. Unmanageable pain (often leading to addiction or other drug abuse), injuries that debilitate mobility or dexterity especially while aging, and injuries resulting in brain damage. That's not including the tiny but real chance of being critically injured or even die while playing football. The risk for college players seems particularly severe in this regard.

The worst part is these were his own fans, the people who cheered him like a hero countless times and watched him play football with an admirable but reckless disregard for his own safety. How many of the booers would just 24 hours ago have sworn by Andrew Luck and wished for him to succeed? How many of those who consider him a coward would play for six seasons through torn muscles/ligaments/cartilage, concussions, lacerated kidney, and more. I know what I would do, I would flake out once I got my big pay day like so many incredibly talented pro players have. I'd take that money and try to live a good, productive, charitable life. Once getting that pay day, no way would I keep returning from the serious injuries he kept sustaining. I'm guessing that most of the people in that stadium would do the same.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, rex_bulkhead said:

What was shameful was the treatment of Luck by his own supposed fans. Colts fans should have respected Luck's decision whether or not they liked or agreed with it at least enough not to publicly humiliate him. Every player has every right to hang them up at any time. We forget that football players are a special bunch of athletes not just because they're strong or fast or skilled but because they embrace a sport that is practically guaranteed to bring tremendous pain and serious injuries. NFL players are far more than well-paid for their performances while they last but so many of these guys continue to suffer long after they hang em up. For these guys, the best case scenario is just chronic but manageable pain and all the other scenarios are bad. Unmanageable pain (often leading to addiction or other drug abuse), injuries that debilitate mobility or dexterity especially while aging, and injuries resulting in brain damage. That's not including the tiny but real chance of being critically injured or even die while playing football. The risk for college players seems particularly severe in this regard.

The worst part is these were his own fans, the people who cheered him like a hero countless times and watched him play football with an admirable but reckless disregard for his own safety. How many of the booers would just 24 hours ago have sworn by Andrew Luck and wished for him to succeed? How many of those who consider him a coward would play for six seasons through torn muscles/ligaments/cartilage, concussions, lacerated kidney, and more. I know what I would do, I would flake out once I got my big pay day like so many incredibly talented pro players have. I'd take that money and try to live a good, productive, charitable life. Once getting that pay day, no way would I keep returning from the serious injuries he kept sustaining. I'm guessing that most of the people in that stadium would do the same.

Come on man...a week and a half before the season?    Of course they’re going to boo.  Season flushed down the toilet.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Impreza178 said:

Come on man...a week and a half before the season?    Of course they’re going to boo.  Season flushed down the toilet.    

Fans complain about the lack of loyalty in the sport from players and teams both to each other and to fans. Reap as you sow.

• Like 1
Just now, rex_bulkhead said:

Fans complain about the lack of loyalty in the sport from players and teams both to each other and to fans. Reap as you sow.

On a macro level you’re correct.   Luck has every right to leave when he feels it’s correct.   

But thousands of season ticket holders are never going to be happy seeing their franchise qb retire the last week of August.   That doesn’t make Indy fans garbage-it makes them human.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

On a macro level you’re correct.   Luck has every right to leave when he feels it’s correct.   

But thousands of season ticket holders are never going to be happy seeing their franchise qb retire the last week of August.   That doesn’t make Indy fans garbage-it makes them human.  

There's a big difference between "never going to be happy" and intensely personal booing. You can be unhappy in silence and even show it that way too. The decent human thing to do would have been nothing but they didn't find it yesterday.

Lots of good video clips of Luck regarding his retirement in this Twitter feed but check out the one “The exact moment Andrew Luck told Jacoby Brissett he was retiring.” No joke, I think it is. On the sidelines during the game last night. (Not Twitter savy enough to link that one tweet but scroll down)

https://mobile.twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1165449785580621824

• Thanks 3