urban2014

Andrew Luck 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

It seems some members have some strong opinions about Luck's retirement, which is to be expected given the timing, but those opinions need to be expressed in conformance with the site guidelines.  In particular, this means no political discussion, no attacking other members, and no offensive language.  If the discussion here does not stay focused on football, then this thread will be locked for a lengthy cooling off period, and users will be subject to a suspension of posting privileges.

Message added by tonycpsu

I think he told them much earlier and they waited to announce to sell more tickets. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, this guy right here said:

READ!........

Pro Lev. Not Anti Luck.

Ok, I can understand that. I'm not anti Lev either. I'm all for guys getting paid what theyre worth. When I say fueled by greed, I get that it sounds negative. Perhaps a better wording would have been fueled by money.

My argument was just that their situations are much different.

Just now, awesomesince86 said:

Ok, I can understand that. I'm not anti Lev either. I'm all for guys getting paid what theyre worth. When I say fueled by greed, I get that it sounds negative. Perhaps a better wording would have been fueled by money.

My argument was just that their situations are much different.

Absolutely. The narrative seems to be Lev's a scum bag for not wanting to risk injury when there's money to be earned.

If already made $97 million he probably would've retired too. Most non QBs would. They get their asses kicked with little guaranteed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Absolutely. The narrative seems to be Lev's a scum bag for not wanting to risk injury when there's money to be earned.

If already made $97 million he probably would've retired too. Most non QBs would. They get their asses kicked with little guaranteed. 

Agreed. People should look at the reactions of current and former players to both situations to get a better idea of the players mindset. In both situations, players were overwhelming supportive of Bell and Luck in their decisions. They understand that the smartest guys get paid and get out before the damage they've suffered ruins their ability to enjoy life after football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Impreza178 said:

On a macro level you’re correct.   Luck has every right to leave when he feels it’s correct.   

But thousands of season ticket holders are never going to be happy seeing their franchise qb retire the last week of August.   That doesn’t make Indy fans garbage-it makes them human.  

They're not mutually exclusive. The way Colts fans are acting is childish and pathetic, and also totally expected. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nonstopfan said:

Fantasy teams? I have zero shares of Luck nor am I a Colts fan. I am strictly looking at this as an outside observer.

It's amazing how the same people that bashed Le'veon Bell last year for holding out and walking out on his team and organization for not supporting him are praising Luck for walking away from his team, fans and organization that actually supported him financially and with the players on the field. Tell me how does this make sense?

Huh? Who? I think most people either supported or are dumping on both players. 

5 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Huh? Who? I think most people either supported or are dumping on both players. 

Agreed.  And it's correlated to that person's ability to put themselves in the player's shoes.

I support anyone's decision to not play football if thats what they want. Whether for family, injury, or more money.

Anyway I'm going to miss Luck, one of my favorite QBs to watch and own in fantasy in recent years. Sad for football to lose a talent like this that we just all assumed would probably be playing for like 10 more years.

• Like 6

so who do you think was behind it getting announced during a game while he is on the side lines ?

did espn just find out during the game or were they holding onto it ? or the the colts brass do this as payback for him retiring ? 

1 hour ago, nonstopfan said:

Fantasy teams? I have zero shares of Luck nor am I a Colts fan. I am strictly looking at this as an outside observer.

It's amazing how the same people that bashed Le'veon Bell last year for holding out and walking out on his team and organization for not supporting him are praising Luck for walking away from his team, fans and organization that actually supported him financially and with the players on the field. Tell me how does this make sense?

You don’t see the difference? If you don’t, not worth continuing the discussion.

10 hours ago, Sivaro said:

He only thought of himself.  That is a narcissistic trait.  You need to see it for what it was.  He quit because he felt no obligation to anyone but himself.  He did it 2 weeks before the season starts, and he walked away from everyone that supported him and gave him that money at almost the worst time possible.  No time to draft, trade or even get your backups ready.  He is not injured, he says his " heart is not in it".   He should be shamed for his actions

Nobody GAVE him any money. He earned it with talent, work, and production and I can guarantee you the owner of the Colts did quite well on his Andrew Luck investment. Last I checked NFL franchises only go UP in value and none of those owners are going broke due to owning an NFL team. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just a few points...

1.  Few, of any, posters here witness first hand what it takes physically and mentally for a pro football player to return from just one devastating injury, not to mention what Luck has had to battle through (I have worked in one of the most prominent sports med clinics in the country, so I have seen the “behind the scenes” intricacies).  All the general public sees is the end result of the rehab process.  The mental aspect is no joke, battling the reality that you may not return to be the same player you once were, and your career may be over (especially in the NFL).

2.  Not sure if anyone has been able to watch an NFL game from the sideline, but the level of impact is exponentially greater when seen at field level compared to tv and from the stands; violent is an understatement.  If Luck knows he doesn’t have the mobility to protect himself anymore, no one can fault him for walking away out of fear of sustaining a life altering injury.

3. As for him dashing the Super Bowl aspirations of the Colts, the reality is that he may not have been able to play for an extended period anyway because of this injury, so he wouldn’t be on the field anyway.  We know very little about his most recent injury, so it is possible that by pushing his return to play he would be at risk for a situation like Kevin Durant.

4. If he knows that this is a lost season, and he can’t commit to the team mentally and physically, would it be better for him to milk the Colts for millions and remain with the team, knowing he can’t deliver for the price tag he commands?

5.  Yeah, the timing sucks and reeks of waiting to maximize ticket sales, but then the Colts are probably involved in that process and may be more to blame. It wouldn’t be unrealistic to think that Luck, being the apparent upstanding guy he is, told them weeks ago, but management asked him to delay the announcement for just this reason.  The secrecy surrounding this recent injury just screams this.

6.  Comparing Luck walking away from a job in which 300+ pound men are paid to annihilate you to any of us walking away from our jobs is just comical.   Every one of us has the right to walk away from our jobs if we aren’t fully committed to it, playing in the NFL in which you may suffer a life altering injury increases your right exponentially.

My final 2 cents...none of us know how incredibly hard it is for a pro athlete to walk away from the game they have played since their youth, it takes A LOT to come to that decision and isn’t taken lightly.  Criticizing anyone for making that decision for sound reasons (health, family, can’t take money he doesn’t feel like he earns) is selfish.  TBH, he owes nothing to the Colts or NFL, as we always say it is a business, and players get let go all the time because it behooves the organization.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Strike Three said:

I play in 6 leagues and I do not own Luck or TY Hilton.  I have Hines in 1 league.

This guy is a damn coward!  Another softy from Stanford.  Injury concern?  Nope.  Mental issues, really?  Middle of pre-season on a Super Bowl contending team?

Stanford is an outstanding school.  If I owned an NFL team and my GM used a 7th round draft pick on a player from Stanford, he’d be fired the next morning!

Well we can safely say nobody will ever have to worry about you making any important decisions like that. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, dsrich said:

You don’t see the difference? If you don’t, not worth continuing the discussion.

I see 1 obvious difference

30 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

They're not mutually exclusive. The way Colts fans are acting is childish and pathetic, and also totally expected. 

When someone runs out on their responsibilities, they're supposed to be cheered?

The runaway bride, the deadbeat dad, the AWOL soldier shouldn't be booed?

Luck is not the equivalent to those - but his actions are of the same type. 

Luck was not self-employed. He was the most important employee of a billion dollar company who was pivotal to the success of that organization, his coworkers, and their customers. 

And he bailed.  Suddenly.  While under contract (unlike Bell).  Yes he left money on the table.  That's what happens when you quit your job.

Man's gotta do what's right for himself, but let's not pretend he made an admirable decision.  He absolutely deserves criticism.  Doesn't make him wrong or unjustified, but neither should he be praised for it.

Dude quit.  It is what it is.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Uh Bell walked out because he wanted more money.  Luck walked out because of his health, leaving quite a bit of money and possibly having to give some back.  Not the same at all.

Bell walked out because he didn't want to risk his body for the money he would receive

You can play with words and make it the same you just choose to see it differently for some reason

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soccerphysio said:

Comparing Luck walking away from a job in which 300+ pound men are paid to annihilate you to any of us walking away from our jobs is just comical.   Every one of us has the right to walk away from our jobs if we aren’t fully committed to it, playing in the NFL in which you may suffer a life altering injury increases your right exponentially.

You don't know what other people do, so refrain from speaking on it.

Plenty of people have jobs that take a toll on their mind and body.  The vast majority of them make in their entire lives fractions of the amount Luck makes in a year.

There is no more right for an NFL player to quit their job than there is for anybody else - but there is the luxury to make that choice.

3 minutes ago, Nap Time said:

Take the ?s=20 off the end of the URL.  Excellent twitter thread by Warren Sharp, worth clicking and reading the entire thing.

Edited by devaster

32 minutes ago, Flyers_28 said:

so who do you think was behind it getting announced during a game while he is on the side lines ?

did espn just find out during the game or were they holding onto it ? or the the colts brass do this as payback for him retiring ? 

Irsay

3 minutes ago, FritzLn said:

Bell walked out because he didn't want to risk his body for the money he would receive

You can play with words and make it the same you just choose to see it differently for some reason

Oh come on.  Luck left because he didn't think enduring the unending pain and rehab was worth it.  Bell left because he wanted to be paid his value.  Saying Bell's decision was health related is a huge reach.

I'm of the opinion that neither player should be vilified.  That wasn't my point 

The point is that the situations are not the same and therefore perception will be different.  People will have more empathy for a guy who leaves for health reasons than the guy who makes a financial decision.

2 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Colts should offer every season ticket holder a 100% refund.

Lol my god.

People are acting like he just quit while being 100% healthy. Dude is injured! All summer that’s what has been talked about. Who knows how many games he would have played this year. It’s impossible to know. Especially with this colts’ training staff. What we do know is that he has battled injuries. The extent isn’t known. Fact.

Edited by dsrich
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Flyers_28 said:

20 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Irsay

Agreed.