urban2014

Andrew Luck 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

It seems some members have some strong opinions about Luck's retirement, which is to be expected given the timing, but those opinions need to be expressed in conformance with the site guidelines.  In particular, this means no political discussion, no attacking other members, and no offensive language.  If the discussion here does not stay focused on football, then this thread will be locked for a lengthy cooling off period, and users will be subject to a suspension of posting privileges.

Message added by tonycpsu

When colts decided to let him keep a lot of money after retirement that they could of keep, in return they should of make him sign a contract so that if he were to ever unretire it could only be for colts.

1 hour ago, DJSatane said:

When colts decided to let him keep a lot of money after retirement that they could of keep, in return they should of make him sign a contract so that if he were to ever unretire it could only be for colts.

If he comes out of retirement, they still own his rights. 

• Like 1

I would be shocked at all if he came back in a year or two.

His reason for leaving seems more mental than physical.  Of course it has to do with his physical pain, but retiring this early is because he mentally couldn't cope with living in constant pain.  Completely understandable.  I imagine he will not just be getting physical therapy, but mental.  But once he is fully healed during retirement, he's still going to be a young guy.  Sitting at home watching the games, there might be the urge to come back before he is too old to do so.

It won't be that easy of course.  Judging by the comments in this threat, he will probably have some major backlash due to to the way he exited.  He'll have to answer a lot of questions.  Still...if we know anything about the NFL and pro sports in general...if you're good, someone will play you (Kareem Hunt, Josh Gordon, etc.)  The door will be wide open for him to come back.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OrangeAggie said:

Mahomes and Watson are 23, Mayfield and Goff are 24, Trubisky is 25, Wentz is 26. Russell Wilson and Cam Newton are only 30. 

The NFL is ripe with good,young QB's from a real life and fantasy perspective.

I'll give you Mahomes.

Watson was complete trash last year.

Goff has potential, Trubisky hasn't proven anything, Wentz can't stay healthy.

Cam has never been a great passer, now that he can't run like he use to his overall effectiveness is not great.

Wilson is not a great passer either, he relies on plays breaking down and can't pass in the pocket at all 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, raidaz18 said:

I'll give you Mahomes.

Cam has never been a great passer, now that he can't run like he use to his overall effectiveness is not great.

Wilson is not a great passer either, he relies on plays breaking down and can't pass in the pocket at all 

LOL @ Deshaun being trash.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Oh come on.  Luck left because he didn't think enduring the unending pain and rehab was worth it.  Bell left because he wanted to be paid his value.  Saying Bell's decision was health related is a huge reach.

I'm of the opinion that neither player should be vilified.  That wasn't my point 

The point is that the situations are not the same and therefore perception will be different.  People will have more empathy for a guy who leaves for health reasons than the guy who makes a financial decision.

It's not. Bell frequently talked about how many touches he got in Pittsburgh. 406 in 2017.

Yes, Bell wanted to cash in on his performance but it's not a stretch to think that Bell knew he wouldn't last in the NFL long enough to cash in big (fair value) with the volume of work - and physical toll - his body was taking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raidaz18 said:

I'll give you Mahomes.

And Matt Ryan is as dependable as a QB can be.

12 hours ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Odds of him unretiring next year after he heals up and realizes that he's bored not playing NFL football?

35% I'd say.  I think it's a distinct possibility he's not done.  Depends on his body.

50 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

LOL @ Deshaun being trash.

So a 61.8 Quarterback rating is good?

53 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

It's not. Bell frequently talked about how many touches he got in Pittsburgh. 406 in 2017.

Yes, Bell wanted to cash in on his performance but it's not a stretch to think that Bell knew he wouldn't last in the NFL long enough to cash in big (fair value) with the volume of work - and physical toll - his body was taking.

I was refuting a statement that the Bell and Luck situations were the same. 

Let me rephrase - Bell left his team because he wanted more money, and would have played had he received that money.  Luck did not leave because he wanted more money.  A raise would not have made Luck play in 2019, given his stated reasons for retiring.

One was a straightforward contract holdout.  The other was a guy retiring because he couldn't mentally cope with the pain.  Two different situations and public perception will be different. 

If I never thought of Luck as being passionate about the game. This is confirmation that he is not. This may be whats best for him. Unfortunately, this is gonna hurt a lot of people. If I was Colt fan I would hate him. He didn't accomplish anything and now he is leaving when so many peoples hopes were high. On a personal level this might be the right thing for him. I don't get why anybody would be congratulating him for making this decision. I don't blame anybody who hates on him for this. There are a ton of players out there sucking it up and doing what it takes to play. He chose not to continue doing this. Now he can deal with the backlash. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, raidaz18 said:

So a 61.8 Quarterback rating is good?

Is that how you judge QBs? One year of QBR?

61.8 is higher than ARobs last year, is he trash too?

His offensive line and/or injuries will be the only things that will would hold Deshaun back. Great QB.

4 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I was refuting a statement that the Bell and Luck situations were the same. 

Let me rephrase - Bell left his team because he wanted more money, and would have played had he received that money.  Luck did not leave because he wanted more money.  A raise would not have made Luck play in 2019, given his stated reasons for retiring.

One was a straightforward contract holdout.  The other was a guy retiring because he couldn't mentally cope with the pain.  Two different situations and public perception will be different. 

Incorrect. 

Bell didn't leave the team or hold out.

Bell's contract expired and the team held the exclusive right to sign him to a new one.  The only contract they could offer after mid July was a 1 year deal.  Bell was adamant about not playing again on a 1 year deal, and chose not to sign up for working conditions that he found unacceptable.  Nothing wrong with that, as he hadn't committed to playing under those conditions (FWIW, I think Bell was right to refuse to play on those terms and I think the Steelers were right not to offer the long term contract at the price point he desired).  The only mistakes made were Bell not being more clearly decisive from the beginning (sent some mixed messages) and the Steelers assuming he'd show up eventually (which goes back to the mixed messages and precedent Bell set by playing under the tag the year prior).

Nobody has to sign the franchise tender.  You cannot force someone to sign a contract. 

Conversely, Luck did sign a long term contract and quit before that contract expired.  It's his right to do so, but at the same time it must be noted that he refused to fulfill the terms of a contract he voluntarily signed.

Whatever one feels otherwise about the individuals involved, Bell's position is the more ethical one.

Doesn't make Luck a bad person.  He couldn't live up to his word and was man enough to admit it, letting the team move on.  Bell, on the other hand, never signed the Steelers contract and never gave his word to play for them in 2018.

If public perception condemns Bell while excusing/praising Luck, then public perception is wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Have people in this thread never quit a job before? Same thing. Just magnified x100 because he is a public figure. 

Anyhow, it seems like a mental health thing to me as much as physical. Hopefully he is happier outside of football.

Colts fans booing him are trash humans. 

That is all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Have people in this thread never quit a job before? Same thing. Just magnified x100 because he is a public figure. 

Anyhow, it seems like a mental health thing to me as much as physical. Hopefully he is happier outside of football.

That is all.

I don't think there's anything that wrong with the Colts fans booing him. Calling him all these names and questioning his manhood among other things is too far. But I don't understand why it's so alarming that fans were upset and let him hear that. 

27 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

That is all.

Are we sure they weren't just saying Andrew Andrew?

1 hour ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Bell, on the other hand, never signed the Steelers contract and never gave his word to play for them in 2018.

If public perception condemns Bell while excusing/praising Luck, then public perception is wrong.

Bell's camp was constantly putting word out that Bell would be reporting to the Steelers' facility for Week 2, then they were saying he'd be back after the bye week, then it was whatever the deadline was for signing the franchise tender, etc. By all accounts Bell had told his teammates he'd be back with the team at some point in 2018. He never issued a statement during the preseason that he was just going to hold out for the full year.

So in terms of public perception, Bell helped fuel the idea that he was playing games, and that had a much worse fantasy impact. Bell was not droppable for much of 2018 -- until very late in the season, there was some chance he was going to suit up for a few games down the stretch, and that meant he needed to be owned.  Whereas if he'd called a press conference and confirmed he was sitting out the year (as Luck just did) everyone could have dropped him.

Ironically the Colts pulled something similar with Luck in 2017, where instead of just placing him on IR a few weeks in, they kept acting like he was going to start practicing next week. At least with Luck in 2019, you know before the season starts to avoid drafting him and discount Colts weapons, and for people with early drafts, they know to drop him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

Bell's camp was constantly putting word out that Bell would be reporting to the Steelers' facility for Week 2, then they were saying he'd be back after the bye week, then it was whatever the deadline was for signing the franchise tender, etc. By all accounts Bell had told his teammates he'd be back with the team at some point in 2018. He never issued a statement during the preseason that he was just going to hold out for the full year.

Yes, Bell sent mixed messages - specifically statements on Instagram and such.  You can go back to last year's thread and check me, but my impression the whole time was that Bell was indecisive and didn't make up his mind until just before the season started, and even then didn't want to rule a return out.

However, I'm fairly certain that Bell's public position from the beginning was that he wouldn't play on the franchise tag again.  He might've intended it just as a negotiation tactic initially, but that's the position he started with.

As for his camp leaking dates of return, I'll need direct quotes for that.  Tweets about "anonymous sources said..." and the opinions of former teammates shouldn't be taken as coming from Bell.

But yes, Bell did not placate fans/fantasy players.  Too bad, not his responsibility. Anyone who took him knew the risk and made decisions that they have to own.

Hell, I traded Fournette for Bell (had Conner, but my season was dead by that point anyway) in one league.

And I sympathize.  I have Kamara and Zeke as my 2 keepers in one league - have to drop Juju and Damien Williams.  If I choose to keep Zeke again, as I plan to, and he holds out all year or part of it, I'll be pissed - but it was my choice to risk it, and it's his responsibility to do what he thinks is in his best interests, not us fantasy players.

The people who got burned by Bell were those that thought he was bluffing and would fold as time went on.  That's not on Bell

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

If I'm a season ticket holder spending thousands every year you are going to hear my displeasure as well. Because not only am I a fan, but a paying customer. Especially in stadium as I've been drinking all day.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fingers said:

If I'm a season ticket holder spending thousands every year you are going to hear my displeasure as well. Because not only am I a fan, but a paying customer. Especially in stadium as I've been drinking all day.

A season ticket holder now receiving a greatly diminished product. Also, Luck being out there on the sidelines like it's no big deal didn't help.

23 minutes ago, fingers said:

If I'm a season ticket holder spending thousands every year you are going to hear my displeasure as well. 

That is your right. It is my right to think that is terrible. Dude obviously has some mental health stuff going on. But yeah, lets make him feel terrible because he doesnt want to get the crap kicked out of him anymore.

Anyhow, he is retired so I am out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmb3684 said:

It’s a visceral reaction in the heat of the moment. Give them a break. Plus they’re in an sports stadium. Options to communicate are kind of limited to cheering if you’re happy or booing if you’re unhappy.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dmb3684 said:

That is your right. It is my right to think that is terrible. Dude obviously has some mental health stuff going on. But yeah, lets make him feel terrible because he doesnt want to get the crap kicked out of him anymore.

Anyhow, he is retired so I am out.

For the record I agree with what you wrote and have said I would have retired and grown a beer belly by now if I was Tom Brady. Still doesn't make this any less surprising. 

I just had an epiphany and realized why Luck retired:

1) Tom Brady is still playing

2) Pat Mahomes is already better than him

3) Baker Mayfield is up and coming

It must be tough coming to the realization that you will never win a Super Bowl and will forever be second fiddle.