urban2014

Andrew Luck 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

It seems some members have some strong opinions about Luck's retirement, which is to be expected given the timing, but those opinions need to be expressed in conformance with the site guidelines.  In particular, this means no political discussion, no attacking other members, and no offensive language.  If the discussion here does not stay focused on football, then this thread will be locked for a lengthy cooling off period, and users will be subject to a suspension of posting privileges.

Message added by tonycpsu

On 8/24/2019 at 10:43 PM, TTo34 said:

Andrew Luck 20 years from now:

giphy.gif

On 8/25/2019 at 9:38 AM, TTo34 said:

Peyton Manning made Indianapolis a football town.

Andrew Luck made Indianapolis a basketball town.

5 minutes ago, TTo34 said:

I just had an epiphany and realized why Luck retired:

1) Tom Brady is still playing

2) Pat Mahomes is already better than him

3) Baker Mayfield is up and coming

It must be tough coming to the realization that you will never win a Super Bowl and will forever be second fiddle.

What's your weird obsession trying to make clever Andrew Luck burns?

1 minute ago, miasma16 said:

What's your weird obsession trying to make clever Andrew Luck burns?

No obsession.  Like everyone else, I'm trying to form some type of rationalization as to how/why this occurred.

The real burning question is how many years will ESPN run stories about luck coming out of retirement

21 minutes ago, gus030 said:

The real burning question is how many years will ESPN run stories about luck coming out of retirement

Luck isn't desperate for attention like Favre was.

Just now, miasma16 said:

Luck isn't desperate for attention like Favre was.

But ESPN is desperate for ratings so wouldn’t be surprised 

18 hours ago, Iron-cock said:

If he comes out of retirement, they still own his rights. 

really? I did not know this.

1 hour ago, The 7th Beatles said:

OJ did it

50 to 1 on OJ, 20 to 1 on Irsay.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DJSatane said:

really? I did not know this.

Yup, if a player retires the team can put them on the reserved/retired list.  If the player decides to make a comeback, team has exclusive negotiating rights when the player returns and I believe their contract picks up where it left off.  

A team can release a player from their reserved/retired list, which basically means the player can play anywhere.  The Jets did this with Brett Favre so he could go to the Vikings.  Also, a player coming back can try to strong arm a trade.   For example, Marshawn Lynch coming out of retirement basically had the leverage to force the Seahawks to trade him to the team he wanted because they couldn't deal with his contract if he made a comeback.

In the Colts case, an Andrew Luck comeback in 2020 or 2021 is unlikely to harm their Salary Cap.  If they move on from Luck (like the Jets did from Favre, by drafting Sanchez) it could create an awkward situation....but Rookie QB contracts aren't what they were back then...so the Colts have most of the leverage if Luck ever wants to play in the NFL again.

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2019 at 10:22 AM, TrillaTrilla said:

One of the most overrated players of all time. 

This is one of the dumbest statements I've seen and exactly why I hate fantasy football sometimes. People aren't capable of realizing how great a player is anymore unless it shows up in a boxscore or amounts to fantasy points.

Luck was a can't miss prospect and lived up to the hype when he was on the field. Period. He took WAY more hits than any QB has to start his career and his body broke down, but that has nothing to do with his talent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, afl5013 said:

This is one of the dumbest statements I've seen and exactly why I hate fantasy football sometimes. People aren't capable of realizing how great a player is anymore unless it shows up in a boxscore or amounts to fantasy points.

Luck was a can't miss prospect and lived up to the hype when he was on the field. Period. He took WAY more hits than any QB has to start his career and his body broke down, but that has nothing to do with his talent. 

David Carr would like a word. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, afl5013 said:

Actually he was the opposite. Put up great fantasy numbers but didn't win jack s--- in real life and completely sucked any time he was in a big moment or game.

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu

2 hours ago, TrillaTrilla said:

Actually he was the opposite. Put up great fantasy numbers but didn't win jack s--- in real life and completely sucked any time he was in a big moment or game.

[...]

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/1/4/5274940/colts-chiefs-comeback-nfl-playoffs

"Colts complete 2nd-largest comeback in NFL playoff history vs. Chiefs"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TrillaTrilla said:

Thanks to the whole Chiefs team getting injured and a fumble bouncing right to him. He really tore it up in Arrowhead last year. LOL

Sure. Luck was a high-end QB whenever he was on the field. His downfall was the ineptitude of general management during his time in Indianapolis, which led to not only garbage teammates, but garbage teammates that resulted in him getting injured. You're letting emotions and ignorance invalidate whatever argument it is that you're trying to make.

12 minutes ago, TrillaTrilla said:

completely sucked any time he was in a big moment or game.

I should also note that he led the NFL in game-winning drives as a rookie. But hey, I guess you're not going for one of those fact-based arguments.

Edited by miasma16
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, miasma16 said:

Sure. Luck was a high-end QB whenever he was on the field. His downfall was the ineptitude of general management during his time in Indianapolis, which led to not only garbage teammates, but garbage teammates that resulted in him getting injured. You're letting emotions and ignorance invalidate whatever argument it is that you're trying to make.

Emotions? Lol I am far from a Colts fan and it doesn't bother me a bit that he is done.

Here are the facts, he never won anything of note as a starter in the NFL. They threw the ball a ton which padded his numbers but he was decidedly average in crucial moments. You can blame the rest of the team but those are facts. Guess he won't be getting that gold jacket the media anointed him with. So sad. Incredibly, incredibly overrated player. 

He was a poor man's Tony Romo. 

23 minutes ago, TrillaTrilla said:

Emotions? Lol I am far from a Colts fan and it doesn't bother me a bit that he is done.

Here are the facts, he never won anything of note as a starter in the NFL. They threw the ball a ton which padded his numbers but he was decidedly average in crucial moments. You can blame the rest of the team but those are facts. Guess he won't be getting that gold jacket the media anointed him with. So sad. Incredibly, incredibly overrated player. 

He won some key playoff games. Upset teams and made it to the AFC Championships with a garbage roster.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, devaster said:

He won some key playoff games. Upset teams and made it to the AFC Championships with a garbage roster.

He made it to one AFC Championship and really balled out with a 45-7 loss. The Colts are so sad they went ahead and put up a "AFC finalist" banner in the stadium I guess to make him feel like he accomplished something. Lol. 

"Big game" Luck was 12-33 for 0 touchdowns and 2 picks

Edited by TrillaTrilla

Just now, TrillaTrilla said:

He made it to one AFC Championship and really balled out en route to a 45-7 loss. 

Poor man's Romo. 

How is he a poor man's Romo? First, Romo was a very good QB. Second, he had more playoff success than Romo ever did.

4 minutes ago, devaster said:

How is he a poor man's Romo? First, Romo was a very good QB. Second, he had more playoff success than Romo ever did.

Neither won anything of note, Romo just had way better stats. Romo caught tons of flak for never winning big games his whole career yet Luck got excuses made for him. Hence why he is a poor man's Romo. 

2 hours ago, TrillaTrilla said:

You can't judge football players by their championships man.  There are 22 starters on both sides of the ball.  Sure QB is the most important, but give me a break.  Are you telling me Joe Flacco is a better quarterback than Dan Marino?

You can argue that Luck didn't play well in the postseason, and I can argue that they wouldn't have even sniffed the postseason without him.

I think only basketball is a sport where it's somewhat fair to judge a player by championships.  Football, baseball, etc....it's not in any one player's control.

8 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

You can't judge football players by their championships man.  There are 22 starters on both sides of the ball.  Sure QB is the most important, but give me a break.  Are you telling me Joe Flacco is a better quarterback than Dan Marino?

You can argue that Luck didn't play well in the postseason, and I can argue that they wouldn't have even sniffed the postseason without him.

I think only basketball is a sport where it's somewhat fair to judge a player by championships.  Football, baseball, etc....it's not in any one player's control.

even his stats, QBR, completion percentage etc are nothing special yet the dude was talked about in Brady and Rogers tier. He didn't totally suck, I'm just saying he was really overrated. 

5 hours ago, afl5013 said:

Luck was a can't miss prospect and lived up to the hype when he was on the field. Period. 

Technically, a can't miss QB prospect who lived up to the hype plays more than 6 seasons in the league. I don't know about some people, but when I draft a cant miss prospect who lives up the hype of a franchise QB, I would hope to have him on my roster for 15 years.

He cant be a "cant miss" if he could not live up to the physical and mental demands of the game.

Edited by nonstopfan