oban14

Sony Michel 2019 Outlook

42 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

NE will run heavy vs. BUF

This will be Sony's breakout game.

They are going to try.  That is for sure.  75% of the time the Pats gameplan around the run and abandon as it goes to hell. 

are you guys starting him?

he might give us 0 points

im considering ronald jones over him at this point

geeesh. 

16 minutes ago, konstao said:

are you guys starting him?

he might give us 0 points

im considering ronald jones over him at this point

geeesh. 

I would be sitting him for sure if I had any other decent options.  Limited with injuries and Breida's bye. That Buffalo run defense is pretty good, just kind of feels like a White and Burkhead game to me.

He's just bad and with his knee issues, he's just unreliable... and I never thought I'd say this but Burkhead is just a better all around RB right now. 

I'm seriously considering dropping him for Burkhead, who is on my WW.

BUT...the catches last week would have been White's if he wasn't with his wife/new baby...so there's that.

Ponderous....

I am at a loss for Michel. 

Part of me thinks he's waiting to breakout...and the other part of me thinks I could lose the FF season if I don't roll the dice for another RB now.

BB has proven that all players are interchangeable...

I'm tempted to swap Michel for Burkhead on WW. 

As a Michel owner, I'm trying to take a deep breath and see the bigger picture here. 

Last year Michel had games of 11/31, 4/22, 10/34, and 14/50 (twice). In none of those games did he score a TD. He had 7 catches all year. He struggled. 

Despite this year's rough start, he has scored twice, and he is getting the ball. Last year he finished 14th in the league in rushing attempts. This year he ranks 11th. If he continues to get carries, he could still very well finish 2019 within reasonable range of where he finished last year. Not ADP worthy, but not drop-worthy either. 

Also, he has literally no value right now, so you're not trading him, and you wouldn't release either of the two other relevant backs there, Burkhead or White, so why Michel, who handles most of the goal line work for one of the better offenses in the league? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mortman212 said:

See ya later SONY Crapstation, I traded him for Montgomery.

U traded crap for poop-... sounds like a reasonable deal

Edited by CViewPride35
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CViewPride35 said:

I think it’s just a matter of personal preference from one team manager to another.  Sometimes you’re in the mood for a crap sandwich, sometimes you’d rather have a poopsicle.

Id have to see Burkhead produce with White getting his normal snaps before I’d drop Michel for him straight up.  White has had an established role on a Super Bowl winning team.  Michel was a key in winning the Super Bowl last season.  Burkhead has always been a few-game-at-a-time wonder who the rest of the time is either injured or a part of the more traditional Pats backfield fantasy nightmare wasteland.  Sticking with Michel because I invested too much in him to drop him yet and we actually know what he can look like as a consistent fantasy producer.  This could very easily backfire.

10 of his 14 TDs were with develin at fb, the guy they put on IR. If they are going to be playing mostly 11 personnel(because they don’t have a fb or any good te) it is mostly burkhead and white on for those formations. Are they going to have Sony start being in those formations? Because if they do..he should do well. Last year he was top 2 in efficiency when he ran from 11...only problem is NE was last in the league to run from that formation. There is hope...I don’t think it is likely though.

2 hours ago, FeastMode said:

I think it’s just a matter of personal preference from one team manager to another.  Sometimes you’re in the mood for a crap sandwich, sometimes you’d rather have a poopsicle.

Id have to see Burkhead produce with White getting his normal snaps before I’d drop Michel for him straight up.  White has had an established role on a Super Bowl winning team.  Michel was a key in winning the Super Bowl last season.  Burkhead has always been a few-game-at-a-time wonder who the rest of the time is either injured or a part of the more traditional Pats backfield fantasy nightmare wasteland.  Sticking with Michel because I invested too much in him to drop him yet and we actually know what he can look like as a consistent fantasy producer.  This could very easily backfire.

Interesting ... so did you end up with the sandwich or the sicle ?

1 hour ago, TheAveragers said:

Found this post over at reddit: Patriots Backfield Clarification

Seems reasonable...

Excellent write-up. Thanks for finding and sharing.

So building on that, I thought the below was interesting. It’s actually what I came here to post before I saw the write-up that you linked. We’re probably all about to sit Sony. Maybe it’s actually time to start him?

Edited by gufomel
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rickydragon said:

He got benched because he was averaging 1 ypc.  He sucks.  If he plays better he’ll more work.  

Hey you could be right. But the linked write-up indicates just the opposite. Worth a read if you haven’t yet.

11 hours ago, CViewPride35 said:

This made me laugh pretty hard at work haha. I need to grow up.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gufomel said:

Excellent write-up. Thanks for finding and sharing.

So building on that, I thought the below was interesting. It’s actually what I came here to post before I saw the write-up that you linked. We’re probably all about to sit Sony. Maybe it’s actually time to start him?

The issue is personnel for the Pats.  Their O-line has some big key injuries including the most important supporting guy for Michel in James Devlin.  I see more single back RB packages with White lined up outside with Rex taking most of snaps.  He looks like the best all-around back at the moment.

The Patriots are also mad lazy with Michel play calling wise...

Sunday at the goal line they ran him right into the defense which 99.9% of peeps watching knew wouldn't work...

Next play they bring in Burkhead and run a much more effective movement play that Rex walks in on which I could have scored on...

I called it the second I saw Rex was in the game, that they would do something better than they do with Sony..

I yelled at the T.V., cursed at cornball herb McDaniels, and went outside to vent knowing they just don't call anything but lazy, predictable plays for Sony...

They treat Michel like Brandon Jacobs and Burkhead like Ahmad Bradshaw so unless/until they get a tiny bit creative it's not going to get much better..

I'm holding out hope that if the cold weather ever shows up maybe they run a bit more and Sony can take advantage of that, but until then it's just hope he gets the Blount goal line chances and saves his early season gamedays with tds..

So start Michel this week when everything tells me to bench him.  Got it. 

Last chance Sony! 

I can totally see the Pats running the ball this week vs the Bills D while 90% of Michel owners have parked his a** on their bench in frustration.  Makes total sense no?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

So start Michel this week when everything tells me to bench him.  Got it. 

Last chance Sony! 

I can totally see the Pats running the ball this week vs the Bills D while 90% of Michel owners have parked his a** on their bench in frustration.  Makes total sense no?

Yes

It seems like generally the Pats destroy the Bills with the run game and with short passes to White.  So maybe Michel can get something going this game.

It's sure not looking great for him though.  Frankly, not sure why they haven't given Harris a shot yet unless they really feel like it's the OL or something.  But Burkhead has done okay running the ball....

Sony Michel is going to be on the field a lot and it's not just because of his running. Opposing teams know when he is in the Pats want to run and they employ  run stuffing front formations. Even though they haven't been throwing 8 men in the box.

Bill and Josh are freaking smart and know this. This opens open play action. Check Brady's stats with Michel in and on play action. 

TOM BRADY W/ SONY MICHEL ON FIELD

COMP-ATT 11-13

PASS YPA 16.0 (HOLY S!)

QBR 144.4

16 out of 20 Pass Snaps.

Once defenses actually take a look at these analytics, the play action concern might actually open the running lanes for Sony. Hope so, as the NE run blocking has been dreadful.

But if you think Burkhead is going to take a lot of snaps from Sony, you are sadly mistaking. Bill and Josh know they can carve up defense when Sony is in with Play Action. Burkhead and White see Nickel all day every day and that is not ideal as it leads to coverage sacks/hits on Brady and pressure on the OL.

I traded him off so he will probably start performing because i got antsy. Good luck to you guys. Develin out just made it harder to trust.

I’m going to throw some offers out, I’m expecting someone to counter with doo doo. I’ve seen a good amount of the Patriots and have not liked the Sony and no cheer show. Everyone else looks legit on the team and it’s not like he hasn’t had the touches the first two games. What he needs is a Burkhead fumble or dud.