oban14

Sony Michel 2019 Outlook

3 minutes ago, montgrove said:

OK well then it doesn’t matter same thing. Brady doesn’t trust Sony to get the job done. 

I think it was the competitor in Brady, he couldn't get it done through the air, so he took it himself on the ground.  I do have to say the Giants run defense looked pretty good, except for late in the 2nd half.  I think the loss of the tight end, Lacosse made a big difference.  That other tight end Izzo got beat a number of times for hits / sacks on Brady.  Sony pretty much plays with at least one tight end playing with him, and they broke out the 2 TE alignment against the Redskins for his best running of the year.    

3 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

Well, he was RB21 in standard going into tonight. That’s a RB2. Probably jumps up to 18 range after tonight’s game. 

Allow me to fix this for you:

Well, he was RB21 in standard going into tonight. That’s a RB2. Probably takes the handoff, comes to a complete flat-footed stop before the line of scrimmage,  looks left, looks right (still while not actually moving), steps directly to the left/right (just not forward) gets 'hit' by his guard's sleeve, and falls down  to 18 range after tonight’s game. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, montgrove said:

OK but you realize the majority of people playing in PPR right?

I only care what I play in. And if you are playing PPR, shame on you for being in here bitching about a guy that caught 7 passes last year. 

Oh and for reference, he was RB26 in PPR. Pretty much where he should be. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kretan182 said:

All this talk of dropping a RB that consistently gets double digit carries and just produced 12 PPR points....sure his YPC sucks and Brady trolled him tonight, but who are you dropping for him? The Rams backup RBs? lol

I would rather take a flier on one of them. I am never drafting a Patriots RB before the 10th round again as long as Brady/Belichik are running the show.

The pats have turned Sony into a plodder and I’m not sure why. Maybe he’s gotten too big and has lost some of his speed & agility? Maybe Georgia just opened huge lanes and made him seem better than he was? 

That being said, I think some are acting like he should be putting up rb1 numbers when they didn’t draft him in the rb1 range. For a rb2 I’m fine with 13 ppr points on a night he didn’t score. 

• Like 1

Perhaps there are some advanced metrics that will prove me wrong but my God this guy is a soft runner. I'm really surprised he hasn't been replaced yet. 

I think the biggest problem with him is that you will never really feel confident starting him and therefore will be likely to miss his big games. I sat him last week because even though it was a good matchup, I didn't trust him. I'm still keeping him around purely for depth but he won't crack my lineup again this year unless I have to deal with injuries. He's just too volatile competing with Bolden, Brady, White, and eventually Burkhead again for touches.

2 minutes ago, drisser said:

I think the biggest problem with him is that you will never really feel confident starting him and therefore will be likely to miss his big games. I sat him last week because even though it was a good matchup, I didn't trust him. I'm still keeping him around purely for depth but he won't crack my lineup again this year unless I have to deal with injuries. He's just too volatile competing with Bolden, Brady, White, and eventually Burkhead again for touches.

Bolden won’t be around when Burkhead comes back. Brady hasn’t had two qb sneaks for td’s in 20 years. That isn’t happening again. 

Barring injury he’ll be a top 20 back by years end. Might not look pretty but I think you’ll want him on your team. Especially as it gets colder and Tom forgets how to throw the ball like he does every year. 

• Like 2

Disgusting. Hopefully some of my league mates didn’t watch the game and I can trade him next week. Looked slow and unexplosive, nothing positive about this guy. Then Tom giving the big middle finger to all us owners was the iceing on the cake.  God why do the patriots make it so easy to hate them. 

Heres a question, would u trade this guy for David Montgomery? Where exactly is value at you think?

8 minutes ago, Jrt80 said:

Disgusting. Hopefully some of my league mates didn’t watch the game and I can trade him next week. Looked slow and unexplosive, nothing positive about this guy. Then Tom giving the big middle finger to all us owners was the iceing on the cake.  God why do the patriots make it so easy to hate them. 

Heres a question, would u trade this guy for David Montgomery? Where exactly is value at you think?

See PM

Edited by aapox
Assistant coach content

See some of the blocks he had tonight?  Completely upended one dude.  He's going to be on the field a lot..all year

As a Sony owner, this was one of the most frustrating games I've ever watched. Seeing Brady vulture those 2 last TD's had me pulling out my hair. I will never draft another Patriots RB again during the Brady/BB era. This is ridiculous and not good for my mental well being.

8 hours ago, kretan182 said:

All this talk of dropping a RB that consistently gets double digit carries and just produced 12 PPR points....sure his YPC sucks and Brady trolled him tonight, but who are you dropping for him? The Rams backup RBs? lol

Yes.

13 points in PPR for your RB2 ain’t bad to be honest.  Not getting a chance to punch in any of those 4 rushing TDs is just bad.

I thought he ran with more conviction last week and showed that explosiveness but he was below average last night.  Dude runs very light - one hit and he goes down.  Just wish he showed more effort and fight.

The receptions certainly helps his low floor.

Rex coming back muddles things a bit but still getting great volume in this offense.  Still believe he will be one of the TD leaders by year end but there will certainly be some poor games mixed in.

30 minutes ago, ludawg23 said:

13 points in PPR for your RB2 ain’t bad to be honest.  Not getting a chance to punch in any of those 4 rushing TDs is just bad.

I thought he ran with more conviction last week and showed that explosiveness but he was below average last night.  Dude runs very light - one hit and he goes down.  Just wish he showed more effort and fight.

The receptions certainly helps his low floor.

Rex coming back muddles things a bit but still getting great volume in this offense.  Still believe he will be one of the TD leaders by year end but there will certainly be some poor games mixed in.

^ This

The Patriots seem to be happy with the way Michel is playing, because they keep running him out there.

I wonder if BB has coached him to run that way?  High priority on not turning the ball over, so he grips it tight so as not to fumble while being tackled instead of stretching it out.

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

The Patriots seem to be happy with the way Michel is playing, because they keep running him out there.

I wonder if BB has coached him to run that way?  High priority on not turning the ball over, so he grips it tight so as not to fumble while being tackled instead of stretching it out.

What choice does BB have? The whole team lacks offensive weapons at multiple positions. Bottom line, this is a BAD offensive team with a porous offensive line and aging HOF QB.

He is what he is at this point with this offensive line and no Develin; a volume play RB2. 

If all things are right he has the potential to be a RB1 as we saw at the end of last season. '

I am happy to see him have 5 receptions the last 2 weeks though. 

Edited by johnnyboy8102

2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Makes sense.

I mean think about it - their defense has scored 35 points on their own.  They've only allowed 48.  You don't need the Greatest Show on Turf in order to win games here.

Once November hits they've got a string of five games where the offense needs to show up.  Aside from that it's simply a matter of not handing the other team games.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Perhaps there are some advanced metrics that will prove me wrong but my God this guy is a soft runner. I'm really surprised he hasn't been replaced yet. 

So soft, he makes Laurence Maroney look like Marshawn Lynch.  There were a few runs where he literally pitty pattered his feet to brace being tackle in one on one situations.  He is one of the worst RBs I've seen in a while.  He did make one really good block in the pass game, I'll give him that, but he'll be out of the league in 3 years.  It'd be a bigger story if the Patriots actually played a team that could compete.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

So soft, he makes Laurence Maroney look like Marshawn Lynch.  There were a few runs where he literally pitty pattered his feet to brace being tackle in one on one situations.  He is one of the worst RBs I've seen in a while.  He did make one really good block in the pass game, I'll give him that, but he'll be out of the league in 3 years.  It'd be a bigger story if the Patriots actually played a team that could compete.

Strangely enough - he was a beast towards the back half of last season.  I don't know what is going on with Michel but if Burkhead was healthy....oh man...we would be seeing something different for sure. 

7 hours ago, kdko said:

See some of the blocks he had tonight?  Completely upended one dude.  He's going to be on the field a lot..all year

ya mean like the one he whiffed which led to the strip/sack?

dunno, i saw this cat get blowed up a coupla times last night 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, ludawg23 said:

I agree and said earlier in the thread he just looks like the prototypical RW JAG. Goes down easily and doesn’t run with any power or burst. He’s not quick or shifty and doesn’t change direction well. Watching him try to get to the edge on a run is painful. 

I guess as long as he keeps getting a ton of carries, he’s a borderline starter depending on your league setup, but watching him the few times I have this year, it’s not surprising to see guys like burkhead and bolden get a lot of work...because they are more productive. Just have to hope Brady didn’t become the GL back after last night and Michel can fall into some TDs occasionally, because otherwise about 10-13 pts is the best you can hope for.