oban14

Sony Michel 2019 Outlook

He lost a surprising amount of burst over the offseason. So much for "minor" knee surgery he had over the summer. The o-line obviously isn't doing him any favors but sheesh.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nromn said:

I agree and said earlier in the thread he just looks like the prototypical RW JAG. Goes down easily and doesn’t run with any power or burst. He’s not quick or shifty and doesn’t change direction well. Watching him try to get to the edge on a run is painful. 

I guess as long as he keeps getting a ton of carries, he’s a borderline starter depending on your league setup, but watching him the few times I have this year, it’s not surprising to see guys like burkhead and bolden get a lot of work...because they are more productive. Just have to hope Brady didn’t become the GL back after last night and Michel can fall into some TDs occasionally, because otherwise about 10-13 pts is the best you can hope for. 

Not sure what's wrong with him because coming out of college he was so dynamic. It's like he and Chubb exchanged souls or something. Watched both in college and it is just crazy what I'm seeing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sSektor said:

He lost a surprising amount of burst over the offseason. So much for "minor" knee surgery he had over the summer. The o-line obviously isn't doing him any favors but sheesh.

Yeah, that knee must be nasty. He looks slightly better than Peyton Barber.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I completely understand the frustration - he should have had at least one of those TDs and possibly all of them inside the 10....however the overreaction is insane....he didnt look all world but he had 20 carries and eclipsed  total of 100 yds on a bad night....definitely being used more in the pass game....just awful luck inside the 10....not bad usage and def flexworthy and bye fill in for most leagues.....I'm all over angry owners rage dropping or shipping him out for cheap.....lots of scoring opportunities in the future....if I didnt see the game and frustrating GL (Brady sneaking from 5 is def rare) I wouldnt have been that upset at his line as my flex....long season and his opportunities will be there IMO  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't check but did everyone lose their minds when Zeke put 13 carries for 53 yards on the Giants?

Zeke not going to get goal-line carries? Hell yeah people are going to lose their minds when friggin' Brandon Bolden and Tom Brady are vulturing goal-line TDs.

7 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Zeke not going to get goal-line carries? Hell yeah people are going to lose their minds when friggin' Brandon Bolden and Tom Brady are vulturing goal-line TDs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Brady should've had 3 rushing tds. If it works, then it works. Now teams are going to focus on the middle and next week it will be a toss play to Sony.

5 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Brady should've had 3 rushing tds. If it works, then it works. Now teams are going to focus on the middle and next week it will be a toss play to Burkhead

Fixed. 

• Haha 2

The Burkhead who can't seem to get over his foot injury?  That Burkhead?

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The Burkhead who can't seem to get over his foot injury?  That Burkhead?

Ok, replace Burkhead with Bolden. Feel better now? 

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

Ok, replace Burkhead with Bolden. Feel better now? 

I didn't last night.  

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

I didn't check but did everyone lose their minds when Zeke put 13 carries for 53 yards on the Giants?

Zeke looks a little slower this year, but there is NO comparison between these two running backs.  Sony is more Peyton Barber, as someone compared above, than Zeke.  I don't own Sony, I'm just in MA and watch all the Pats games.  Sony, prior to Gostkowski departing, was THE weakest part of this team, hands down.  Some other areas of the offense are starting to catch up to his sucktitude, but there is no denying Sony is a complete JAG.  Even his last 30 yard run on the final play from scrimmage was more trickery than any type of skill, they caught the D-Line in a shift at the snap which opened up a gaping hole.  Remove that play and he's sitting at 21 carries and 60 yards.  Burkehead will get healthy, and I'd imagine the rookie Harris will get a spot on the gameday roster at some point as well.  If I did own Sony I'd sell him as quickly as I could to an owner who doesn't watch the games.

• Like 1

Here for the overreaction pats always run it more as the season goes on. He had 12 in half that's not awful granted the 3 vultures is really rotten luck

Edited by Mattmac0912

8 minutes ago, Mattmac0912 said:

Here for the overreaction pats always run it more as the season goes on. He had 12 in half that's not awful granted the 3 vultures is really rotten luck

Hes getting volume now which is great but the issue is whether that volume is going to decrease (Burkhead, Harris) given how terrible he looks

9 minutes ago, Mattmac0912 said:

When the games start to matter, and are more competitive, Belichick won't tolerate Sony Michel's ineptitude.  He's not going to give him 20 carries in December when he's averaging 3 yards per carry.  Also, the backup FB (Johnson) was just thrown on injured reserve today, so its not going to get any easier for Sony.

2 hours ago, Big Tuna said:

I completely understand the frustration - he should have had at least one of those TDs and possibly all of them inside the 10....however the overreaction is insane....he didnt look all world but he had 20 carries and eclipsed  total of 100 yds on a bad night....definitely being used more in the pass game....just awful luck inside the 10....not bad usage and def flexworthy and bye fill in for most leagues.....I'm all over angry owners rage dropping or shipping him out for cheap.....lots of scoring opportunities in the future....if I didnt see the game and frustrating GL (Brady sneaking from 5 is def rare) I wouldnt have been that upset at his line as my flex....long season and his opportunities will be there IMO  

The frustration comes from seeing his GL opportunities reduced, yet another back brought into a significant roll with Rex out and falling over when he's touched. It literally looks like he just gives up when he feels any contact. 

Dropping him is ridiculous (assuming people aren't in 8 team leagues), but his role on the team seems extremely fragile. 

It seems that Michel's knee isn't all the way right.  And yet, BB and McDaniels still believe that Sony is the team's best option for the role he fills.  Because that is how they have used him.  If a few things broke differently, Michel pretty easily could have had 4 TDs in the game yesterday.

46 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

When the games start to matter, and are more competitive, Belichick won't tolerate Sony Michel's ineptitude.  He's not going to give him 20 carries in December when he's averaging 3 yards per carry.  Also, the backup FB (Johnson) was just thrown on injured reserve today, so its not going to get any easier for Sony.

uhhh that's exactly what Bill did last year... Does nobody remember Sony looking like trash at the start of last year to?

5 minutes ago, m_cox22 said:

uhhh that's exactly what Bill did last year... Does nobody remember Sony looking like trash at the start of last year to?

Yes he built to a big finish.

2 hours ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Brady should've had 3 rushing tds. If it works, then it works. Now teams are going to focus on the middle and next week it will be a toss play to Bolden.

FTFY

Sony owners, give this article a read:

https://nesn.com/2019/10/could-patriots-new-tight-end-help-fill-fullback-void-after-injuries/

Sounds concerning to say the least regarding Sony's outlook. I for one, will most likely go for another option this week. Despite Sony's last two outings which gave me some good points, I just don't feel good starting this guy. Unless my other options don't pan out, I think I'm going to have to sit this guy until further notice. I watched the entire Pats/Giants game last week, and this dude just looks slooooow. Like he's running in slow motion. He's got no burst/cuts/agility/ability to break tackles, nothing.

1 hour ago, RoseLin23 said:

Sony owners, give this article a read:

https://nesn.com/2019/10/could-patriots-new-tight-end-help-fill-fullback-void-after-injuries/

Sounds concerning to say the least regarding Sony's outlook. I for one, will most likely go for another option this week. Despite Sony's last two outings which gave me some good points, I just don't feel good starting this guy. Unless my other options don't pan out, I think I'm going to have to sit this guy until further notice. I watched the entire Pats/Giants game last week, and this dude just looks slooooow. Like he's running in slow motion. He's got no burst/cuts/agility/ability to break tackles, nothing.

not sure why you think it sounds concerning. i think having a potential lead blocker will do sony wonders. watch how many times he gained posi yardage following develin in his rookie highlight clip. he could really use someone to plow the road for him, so to speak: