oban14

Sony Michel 2019 Outlook

I hate owning this guy in fantasy.  He's been getting carries tho.  It's a shame they won't throw him the pill a couple of times but 15-20 carries is something you can't ignore these days.  I'm trying to move him but the best I got was Courtland Sutton.  Solid, but with Flacco down and Allen in at QB I'm not sure Sutton's production has staying power.

Don't even want to flex Sony @ BAL this week. 

Can see a lot more passing in this game.

Edited by Pooskay

41 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

Don't even want to flex Sony @ BAL this week. 

Can see a lot more passing in this game.

He is currently sitting in my flex right now and I don't feel great about it. BUT, his touchdown upside as the grinder in the Patriots offense is better than anyone else I have.

60ish yard with a TD would make me happy.

2 minutes ago, gmoneypm said:

He is currently sitting in my flex right now and I don't feel great about it. BUT, his touchdown upside as the grinder in the Patriots offense is better than anyone else I have.

60ish yard with a TD would make me happy.

With bye weeks he is a top 15 starter and has 2 TD upside any week. 

• Like 1

Don't feel good about him but have no other options.  He will get his carries but not feeling great going up against Brandon Williams.

Will need him to fall into the endzone to have a decent week.

19 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

With bye weeks he is a top 15 starter and has 2 TD upside any week. 

This. He's a premium as a RB2 imo

The Ravens don’t seem all that tough against the run on the couple sites I’ve looked at.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef/2019

- Ranked 21st against the run and 13th against the pass

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/matchups/rb.php

- Allowed the 20th most fantasy points to RBs, so they are in the top half of least points allowed, but not elite.

I don’t know the Ravens players that well, so are they better against the run than the metrics might show?

Edited by gufomel

1 minute ago, tim14125 said:

Monster game tonight....

I thought he looked better to begin a game than I’ve seen yet this year.  Then Brady overthrew him on a pass to the flat, got visibly pissed and he was never heard from again.  Showed up at the end on ST.

Hey at least their strategy of running White/Burkhead worked, amirite?

• Like 4

Typical let down game for the Pats mid season. It’ll get cold and they’ll have to figure out how to run it.  Brady can’t win it with his arm. 

8 minutes ago, m_cox22 said:

Typical let down game for the Pats mid season. It’ll get cold and they’ll have to figure out how to run it.  Brady can’t win it with his arm. 

Brady can't win it behind this o-line and the TE group: blocking is horrific 

On 10/30/2019 at 10:16 PM, gufomel said:

The Ravens don’t seem all that tough against the run on the couple sites I’ve looked at.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef/2019

- Ranked 21st against the run and 13th against the pass

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/matchups/rb.php

- Allowed the 20th most fantasy points to RBs, so they are in the top half of least points allowed, but not elite.

I don’t know the Ravens players that well, so are they better against the run than the metrics might show?

Raven's are pretty good against the run, normally.  They had one really bad game against the Browns -- when their pro bowl run stuffing DT was out, Brandon Williams.  They are a much better run defense when he plays.

I think we've got more confirmation that Burkead being active is the key for Sony's role.  The Pats value the flexibility of White or Burkhead, especially when they are playing from behind.  Sony's stats when Burkhead is out are much, much better.

• Like 1

Gameflow was against him but Tommy is not going to tolerate someone running the wrong route...

Seeing him screw up that route and the look on Tom's face.

Exact same look I have every week I start him. 

He has to be benched at this point, especially in PPR. Not saying he wont get 3 TD's and 20 points next week but by now I think we all know what we got and it aint good. 

If you are unsure, just remember they tried running James White on the GL. Folks like to compare him to Blount but at least he got all the inside the 5 yard line carries no matter who else was healthy. Its easier to pick the top kicker each week then to guess Sony's usage. 

24 minutes ago, Duckbutter said:

He has to be benched at this point, especially in PPR. Not saying he wont get 3 TD's and 20 points next week but by now I think we all know what we got and it aint good. 

If you are unsure, just remember they tried running James White on the GL. Folks like to compare him to Blount but at least he got all the inside the 5 yard line carries no matter who else was healthy. Its easier to pick the top kicker each week then to guess Sony's usage. 

I guarantee he doesnt get any yardage next week.

32 minutes ago, Duckbutter said:

Have to take everything into context here. They were in hurry up the whole night after the first drive. He happened to be the guy in when they got down to the goal line.

Anyway, Sony having 4 carries and 5 total touches is totally inexplicable. I’ve always said it, Fraud McDaniels is way overrated. Brady is the reason he’s where he’s at. Last night they got exposed. And I was happy to see it. 

Edited by Sonny_D

Why the Patriots have been hell bent on turning him into a between the tackles plodder is beyond me. Let alone spending a first round draft pick on a guy to do so. Why not just keep Blount if that's what they wanted? 

Terrible play calling from the start last night. Never even tried to establish the run after going down 7.  

Belechick referenced needing to do a better job of coaching after the game. Maybe he was referring to McDaniels? 

Pats are about to be exposed in a big way. They cant stop the run which there hasn't been any evidence of because they kept getting up on bad teams. Their O-line sucks, Tom typically regresses as the season goes on. What's going to happen when they matchup against a team with good corners? They were lucky to keep it as close as the did last night with the ravens secondary being not very good. 

1 minute ago, m_cox22 said:

Why the Patriots have been hell bent on turning him into a between the tackles plodder is beyond me. Let alone spending a first round draft pick on a guy to do so. Why not just keep Blount if that's what they wanted? 

Terrible play calling from the start last night. Never even tried to establish the run after going down 7.  

Belechick referenced needing to do a better job of coaching after the game. Maybe he was referring to McDaniels? 

Pats are about to be exposed in a big way. They cant stop the run which there hasn't been any evidence of because they kept getting up on bad teams. Their O-line sucks, Tom typically regresses as the season goes on. What's going to happen when they matchup against a team with good corners? They were lucky to keep it as close as the did last night with the ravens secondary being not very good. 

The only reason it was close was b/c of two Ravens turnovers on their side of the field. Game felt like a blowout and on paper, could have been even worse. 

I think the formula is pretty simple:

- Pats favored by 10+ and Burkhead inactive = safe start

- One of the above not true = sit him for any other top 25 RB option

- Neither of the above are true = sit him for Eddie Lacy

Edited by gufomel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, BMcP said:

I thought he looked better to begin a game than I’ve seen yet this year.  Then Brady overthrew him on a pass to the flat, got visibly pissed and he was never heard from again.  Showed up at the end on ST.

Hey at least their strategy of running White/Burkhead worked, amirite?

Absolutely agree, I do not understand why the Pats went away from him last night. As a Patriots fan, it’s the best I’ve seen him run this year to start a game and it is frustrating the way they use him. Just feels pointless spending a first rounder on a back when you are going to use him the way they are. Could get the same production out of a 5th rounder with this usage.

• Like 1