oban14

Sony Michel 2019 Outlook

This dood has been stapled to my bench for sooo long now...

[...] I think this week may be a good week to use him if BB forces that terrible oc McDaniels to use him in more than the first 15 scripted plays...

I don't think Mahomes is the "monkey wrench in the machine" running threat that Lamar & Watson are so maybe the Pats defense rises to the occasion at home & keeps this game close enough for Sony to get his carries...

Seems like they either play a crummy team they beat down & the Pats get Brady and his wrs some confidence building stats or they play a team with Jackson/Watson and get pummled leading to a heavy passing game... 

This game feels like neither of those, instead it seems like the Pats will try to send a message to KC again that they are more physical on offense & defense leading to a possible multi td game for Sony...

He will probably suck again and get us knocked out of the playoffs but I'm thinking it's time to roll him out there and hope 2018 playoff run Play calling/Sony show up & carry us to the next round....

Wurd....

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

1 hour ago, General Gannicus said:

This dood has been stapled to my bench for sooo long now...

[...] I think this week may be a good week to use him if BB forces that terrible oc McDaniels to use him in more than the first 15 scripted plays...

I don't think Mahomes is the "monkey wrench in the machine" running threat that Lamar & Watson are so maybe the Pats defense rises to the occasion at home & keeps this game close enough for Sony to get his carries...

Seems like they either play a crummy team they beat down & the Pats get Brady and his wrs some confidence building stats or they play a team with Jackson/Watson and get pummled leading to a heavy passing game... 

This game feels like neither of those, instead it seems like the Pats will try to send a message to KC again that they are more physical on offense & defense leading to a possible multi td game for Sony...

He will probably suck again and get us knocked out of the playoffs but I'm thinking it's time to roll him out there and hope 2018 playoff run Play calling/Sony show up & carry us to the next round....

Wurd....

Start with Caution. Last year Sony had his full back (James Develin) to run behind in the playoffs.... This year he doesnt. Sony is not the same without Develin. 

Edited by SyNdicateZ
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Start with Caution. Last year Sony had his full back (James Develin) to run behind in the playoffs.... This year he doesnt. Sony is not the same without Develin. 

This was just said about who they are now using at fullback so all hope is not lost..  --

So far, however, it seems as if Roberts has convinced New England’s coaches that he is capable of doing all these things when lining up in the backfield. And his early impact on the running game cannot be denied either, as McDaniels pointed out: “He’s physical, he’s aggressive, he loves contact and hitting. I think he made a few really important blocks that would have made James Develin very proud towards the end of the game there.”

While he isn't Devlin he may be the best we can hope for at this point & add in the fact that their O-line just got another guy back it may not be all that bad for Sony these next few games...

• Thanks 1

Chiefs are allowing over 5 yds per carry and over 180 yds per game to RBs.  They have allowed 13 TDs to RBs in their 12 games. 

Definitely throw him in as your flex if you got him.

My concern here is if they go down early the pats will not give Sony the ball. Even if the are in the game Sony have gotten 10-12 touches. Just not enough to win games 

unless they are playing the bengals or jets or bottom dwelling teams he is hard to trust. its essentially rbbc and match up based. 

The Chiefs have given up over 100 total yds to opposing running back every game this season. I like Michel's chance at home in Foxboro coming off a bad loss to have a good game.

Disagree. 100 yds yes but that’s for all patriots RB. Lots of mouths to feed with white, burkhead and Michel. 

40 yds for Michel this weekend. 

1 hour ago, fantasymad said:

The Chiefs have given up over 100 total yds to opposing running back every game this season. I like Michel's chance at home in Foxboro coming off a bad loss to have a good game.

Pats will need to pass while in catch up mode all day.

15 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Why? Mahomes has struggled last 2 weeks. I think this is a get right game for the Pats offense.

2 hours ago, SyNdicateZ said:

2 problems with this:

1) Pats have nobody to pass to outside of Edleman

2) Pats have nobody to do the passing.  Porous OL + Father Time remains undefeated.  Mitch Trubisky has been a more productive passer than TB since Week 2 this season....and that is before his big game v. Dallas yesterday!

BB is the genius of our era - how can he not play keep away / ball control given the cards he's been dealt?   Sony Mike has looked much better these last few weeks and even had a 4.5ish YPC going last week.  The man needs more touches!

P.S. I hate the 'we gotta pass cuz we're down' mentality of the NFL before mid Q4.  Last I checked, you can only score one TD per drive....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hockeyfan77 said:

Sony gets a TD but only around 40 or 50 yards, it's a James White game

The sad part: if you are correct, most Sony owners would be thrilled with the 10-11 points.

9 hours ago, Evincar said:

Why? Mahomes has struggled last 2 weeks.

?

last week was played in sustained 20+ mph winds, with gusts approaching 40 mph ... the game was essentially over in the first 10 minutes, but 'Homie still accounted for 2 of the TDs - was no need to go all Tecmo Bowl given those peripherals and with needing everyone healthy and well rested for the trip to Gillette. 

context ... put it in. 

that being said, i am no fan of Sony - i think he's a very average option, nothing to get excited about ... but this does profile as a game they lean on his sorry arse - would expect 15 to 20 carries, with more in the offing if the Hoodies wrest control early. 

Edited by pastorofmuppets2

6 hours ago, Al.Davis said:

The sad part: if you are correct, most Sony owners would be thrilled with the 10-11 points.

Nah the Sony owners are hoping for a good amount of work vs a crummy run defense and would be thrilled with game of 100+ yards and multiple goal line chances which is in range tomorrow...

If the Pats stay in the game Sony should be one of the main reasons why..   I'm sure the head coach in New England can figure that out since he's pretty good this time of year...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rvtura23 said:

James white had a great game last week. Can’t imagine they go to Sony if they commit to the run. 

If you really think you have the inner workings of this NE RB rotation worked out, you should write a book and make some serious money.

Every single time over the past several years now when I make a statement like yours quoted here, the utter opposite transpires. 

Watch Bolden be the featured back tomorrow - just as likely to happen as anyone else.

The way this game seems to stack up on paper I can see the allure of starting Michel in this game because of the leaks NE is springing on defense lately. It was said above and I agree there could be more short-yardage situations including GL touches in store for Michel.

It's such a crap shoot though you'd have to have some pretty meager options otherwise. IF I started him it could be with 'no confidence'.

didnt he get benched the whole 2nd half last week ? 

i dont know if i can trust him anymore 

i cant afford that this week 

8 hours ago, Flyers_28 said:

didnt he get benched the whole 2nd half last week ? 

i dont know if i can trust him anymore 

i cant afford that this week 

He didn't get benched, game flow (the pats behind) dictated that the Pats needed to throw, which means Sony is on the bench

3 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

He didn't get benched, game flow (the pats behind) dictated that the Pats needed to throw, which means Sony is on the bench

james white had 14 carries 

5 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

the Pats didn’t stop running the ball last game, but they did stop giving it to Michel who only got 4 carries after their first drive.

Its not like they waited until the 3rd quarter to phase him out because of how much they were down.  The score was 7-3 at the end of the first quarter and 14-3 at half time..neither are abandon-the-run type deficits.  No one would be surprised if it’s 14-3 or 21-6 at some point in the first half of today’s game against the Chiefs.  

Edited by Hero202

7 hours ago, Flyers_28 said:

james white had 14 carries 

Yeah, because they were playing from behind and can't throw every play and White is the Pats 2nd or even first catching option...If you watched the game you knew the Pats were going to need to score a lot because Houston was going up and down the field on the Pats D

Edited by hockeyfan77

5 hours ago, Hero202 said:

the Pats didn’t stop running the ball last game, but they did stop giving it to Michel who only got 4 carries after their first drive.

Its not like they waited until the 3rd quarter to phase him out because of how much they were down.  The score was 7-3 at the end of the first quarter and 14-3 at half time..neither are abandon-the-run type deficits.  No one would be surprised if it’s 14-3 or 21-6 at some point in the first half of today’s game against the Chiefs.  

It is for the Pats, epically when your 2nd best receiver is White