Sign in to follow this  
rdf8585

Sonny Gray 2019 Outlook

18 hours ago, smeeze said:

I don't see how he doesn't go 2x. The Pirates have 8 games this week.

He's on the Reds?

Also, it looks like he won't start again until next Tuesday, against the Cardinals

Edited by tuesdays

4 hours ago, tuesdays said:

He's on the Reds?

Also, it looks like he won't start again until next Tuesday, against the Cardinals

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

Gray has been quietly solid this season.  It feels like he's walking guys a little more than usual, but outside of that no complaints. 

• Like 2

was not even paying attention to this dude until I seen in points leagues he has not had one start with minus points. even some of the stud pitchers have gotten shelled numerous times but he has not.

3 hours ago, mlb2019 said:

was not even paying attention to this dude until I seen in points leagues he has not had one start with minus points. even some of the stud pitchers have gotten shelled numerous times but he has not.

He's pitched really well. The only negative is he racks up a lot of pitches, and when he doesn't they often pull him in the 80s in pitch count, so he's gone < 6 IP alot. 

Anyone starting him today vs. brewers? The game is at Milwaukee and Yelich has been HOT recently. Wondering what people who know more than me think lol

I’m starting (my ratios are already shot this week) and I’d probably still start if I cared about my ratios. He threw 6 shutout innings 5/21 at Milwaukee and had a rough start last time 4 runs in 4 1/3. He’s only had two starts where he’s given up 4 or more earned runs. 

Last nights game was a nice flashback to his glory days in Oakland. Sonny's stuff looked great, and perhaps even more importantly, his confidence seems to be back. And in many cases (especially with pitching) that can be the most important thing. 

I was able to pick him back up in one of my leagues. He’s been pretty much a streamer for people in that league, even though he’s been pretty solid as a whole. I guess people aren’t fully buying it based on his performance last year. 

20 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

I was able to pick him back up in one of my leagues. He’s been pretty much a streamer for people in that league, even though he’s been pretty solid as a whole. I guess people aren’t fully buying it based on his performance last year. 

Which seems weird to me considering he has been consistently solid every year but last year.  His main gripe has always been his durability, not his talent/stuff. 

8 minutes ago, cizastro said:

Which seems weird to me considering he has been consistently solid every year but last year.  His main gripe has always been his durability, not his talent/stuff. 

Well he had a year in Oakland with an ERA over 5.00 as well, but yea for the most part he has had a pretty solid career.

Edited by hangin n wangin

Don’t get why people are sleeping on Sonny. Highest k rate of his career, 29 years old so in his prime, good peripherals. 3.35 fip 3.47 xfip 3.84 siera .212 xba (10th in baseball) .338 xslg (11th) .277 xwoba (16th) I’m getting shares wherever I can. I get that cincy isn’t an ideal ballpark but he’s limiting flyballs (55.8% GB 28.1% FB) and everything else looks elite.

• Thanks 1

Added him 2 days ago, nice to see him pitch this gem! Getting out of Yankee stadium was the best thing that happened with his career

He needs to be owned in all leagues, regardless of size. His BB% will likely always be a bit on the high side, but his K% has been elite. 

FIP - 3.24
xFIP - 3.43
SIERA - 3.84 

Great American Ball Park is extremely hitter-friendly, so his numbers thus far have been pretty remarkable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BRYZZO said:

Added him 2 days ago, nice to see him pitch this gem! Getting out of Yankee stadium was the best thing that happened with his career

That’s the funny thing about him. He was available in many leagues recently, including mine where I snagged him as well. He was not getting any respect. People weren’t buying it, but I’m sure now people are. He won’t be dropped by me again.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2019 at 6:30 AM, wahoos1 said:

Next start @ Colorado 😖

Nice start on my bench, oh well, hope he keeps it going 

I told ya’ll to stop sleeping on Sonny. Pitching like an ace and his peripherals and statcast numbers back it up. Now 9th, 10th, and 14th in xba/xslg/xwoba in the league. His two bad starts he gave up 4 runs. Been good all year and now everything is clicking 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

Nice start on my bench, oh well, hope he keeps it going 

I don’t think it was a bad move. Colorado is hell for pitchers. I didn’t start him either and no regrats. But I’m treating him as matchup proof moving forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hangin n wangin said:

I don’t think it was a bad move. Colorado is hell for pitchers. I didn’t start him either and no regrats. But I’m treating him as matchup proof moving forward.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m going to wait until his next start @Cubs to determine a pick up. If he pitches decent he could be looked at as matchup proof.