BrianM

Golden Tate III 2019 Outlook

Today's news guarantees this guy will be available for $1 at the end of auctions.  If you're interested in him, the price just dropped.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Today's news guarantees this guy will be available for $1 at the end of auctions.  If you're interested in him, the price just dropped.

Savvy owners take advantage of just this kind of discount. If you're taking Tate to be your 5th or 6th WR, you weren't starting him in weeks 1-4 anyway. He'll be just as valuable as a mid season bye week/injury replacement as he would have been without the suspension. Any discount in his price is free value. Plus, you can probably stash him on IR while he's suspended, so he doesn't even waste an active roster spot. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Savvy owners take advantage of just this kind of discount. If you're taking Tate to be your 5th or 6th WR, you weren't starting him in weeks 1-4 anyway. He'll be just as valuable as a mid season bye week/injury replacement as he would have been without the suspension. Any discount in his price is free value. Plus, you can probably stash him on IR while he's suspended, so he doesn't even waste an active roster spot. 

Suspended players usually aren't eligible for IR spots, but everything else about your post is spot-on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Suspended players usually aren't eligible for IR spots, but everything else about your post is spot-on.

Depends on the settings of each particular league. I know it's allowable on MFL, and I thought it was possible on ESPN too. Not sure about other places. 

39 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Savvy owners take advantage of just this kind of discount.

? He wasn't going for much more if that anyway that I saw. But yeah he's usually been a solid PPR guy to have.

Plus, you can probably stash him on IR while he's suspended, so he doesn't even waste an active roster spot. 

I didn't know leagues did IR, interesting. I tried to add that to the rules once or twice but was shot down. 

2 hours ago, bomont said:

? He wasn't going for much more if that anyway that I saw. But yeah he's usually been a solid PPR guy to have.

I didn't know leagues did IR, interesting. I tried to add that to the rules once or twice but was shot down. 

It's for keepers or dynasties. Most redrafts shouldn't do it and don't. 

• Like 1

Yeah when we went to keepers (since gone...don't ask) that was when I suggested. Oh well. 

How do you believe he'll fit when he returns? Engram and Barkley will be getting a ton of targets. So, who is the #3 WR behind those two? I'm thinking Tate should be good here at least as a stable flex option in the slot. Shep will be on the outside where Eli can't throw.

21 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

How do you believe he'll fit when he returns? Engram and Barkley will be getting a ton of targets. So, who is the #3 WR behind those two? I'm thinking Tate should be good here at least as a stable flex option in the slot. Shep will be on the outside where Eli can't throw.

Tate should be a sneaky low to mid WR2 in PPR when he gets back, I'm buying at his price wherever I can.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

There's definitely flex appeal. Eli can't throw and Tate only runs short routes, so he should be able to work the underbelly of the defenses well. On paper it's a match made in garbage time blowout heaven. 

• Thanks 1

This guy should eat when he comes back from suspension.  Shepard is injury prone and already out this week for a concussion.

Was a frustrated Tate owner in the previous two seasons and Eli doesn't help that at all, but my WR situation appears to be heading to dumpster fire territory and I am thinking of picking him up this week.

Expecting little though.

• Haha 1

I'm wondering if this is the right time to grab him too. I've got a pretty competitive PPR league, yet he is on the waivers. Not sure what to expect, but perhaps he is better than holding handcuffs like Pollard, Brown,etc? 

This guy should get a ton of targets when he returns - other than Engram, who else do they have?  Shepherd is hurt.  If you can wait till week 5, I think he'll pay off.

5 minutes ago, Kilo said:

This guy should get a ton of targets when he returns - other than Engram, who else do they have?  Shepherd is hurt.  If you can wait till week 5, I think he'll pay off.

I agree and I was high on Tate all summer for these reasons. He was drafted as a WR4/5, so if you took him it’s unlikely that you would need to go that deep down the bench in the first four weeks unless you get extremely unlucky with injuries. 

When he comes back fresh in a few weeks, he figures to see a high volume of garbage time targets. I’m not suggesting that he’ll be a must-start option or anything, but he should definitely see enough volume to make him a suitable and relatively reliable bye week/emergency fill-in. 

• Like 1

Where are we ranking Tate when he comes back? Some past post think he’s a great flex, I agree, but around what type of guy is he ahead of? Are you guys ranking him a wr2 with the new QB change? Or still a flex type guy? I remember him having a decent early season last year. 21,20,12, and 36 points with the lions first 4 games in full PPR, he had a few other good games sprinkled in over last year with some duds. I want to add him, but I’m unsure where I rank him against guys on my roster. 

18 hours ago, Godeep said:

Where are we ranking Tate when he comes back? Some past post think he’s a great flex, I agree, but around what type of guy is he ahead of? Are you guys ranking him a wr2 with the new QB change? Or still a flex type guy? I remember him having a decent early season last year. 21,20,12, and 36 points with the lions first 4 games in full PPR, he had a few other good games sprinkled in over last year with some duds. I want to add him, but I’m unsure where I rank him against guys on my roster. 

I have no idea, but I think he'll be a good outlet for Jones. Who else do they even have honestly besides Barkley, Engram and Shepard? He basically becomes the WR1 in that offense by default. I think you need to add him if you can make room.

2 hours ago, street sharks said:

I have no idea, but I think he'll be a good outlet for Jones. Who else do they even have honestly besides Barkley, Engram and Shepard? He basically becomes the WR1 in that offense by default. I think you need to add him if you can make room.

I like Jones for Engram in regards to more explosive plays, status quo for Barkley he's going to be a stud regardless of whom ever is QB If you want to say he gets an up tick thats fine. Golden Tate will be Daniel Jones BFF, gets open quickly, good route running, good hands, and great YAC I firmly believe he's going to be peppered with slants screens etc from the jump. 

Edited by NyZD

Any DJax owners looking to take Tate with the injury news? I’m thinking about it while Tate is still available since DJax opted against surgery, I’m worried it might be a lingering injury. Still not sure if it’s a great decision though. Anyone have any thoughts on Tate vs DJax? I’m guessing there’s quite a few DJax owners thinking about Tate. 

Tate has a higher floor I think, and should be more consistent over the season. There’s a good chance he becomes a PPR machine. 

30 minutes ago, Godeep said:

Any DJax owners looking to take Tate with the injury news? I’m thinking about it while Tate is still available since DJax opted against surgery, I’m worried it might be a lingering injury. Still not sure if it’s a great decision though. Anyone have any thoughts on Tate vs DJax? I’m guessing there’s quite a few DJax owners thinking about Tate. 

Tate has a higher floor I think, and should be more consistent over the season. There’s a good chance he becomes a PPR machine. 

Correction, I wrote DJax opted for no surgery, because I read it where someone posted it in his outlook thread, but I can’t confirm that piece of information anywhere. 

New QB, slot man, proven track record. Of course he will be the third preference behind Engram and Barkley, but still better than Shepard, imo. Shep has, one, not demonstrated the ability to stay healthy. Second, he's not shown to be a lead dog whether OBJ was out or not. He has posted occasional great games, but he hasn't been consistent. Even last year, his targets really came due to Engram being out so much. If you want Tate, then I'd get him now and stash, because with him due to return in Week 5, there won't be too much left on the waiver wire if you wait another week. That will likely drive up his price. So, grab and stash now and get a reliable WR3 for the stretch run.