Boudewijn

Ezekiel Elliott 2019 Outlook

3 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

EAt_NOmX4AABRj1.jpg

While I totally support making fun of Jerry Jones, as much as we can, I also have to say: out of the last 20 Superbowl winners (18 of which were the Patriots of course), only 4 had an RB with 1500+yards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Your travel will not interrupt your testing.

- Testing WILL be conducted at international locations and players are still required to comply with testing while traveling internationally.

- You will have four hours to provide a specimen after you are contacted by the collector just like when you are state side.

- If you provide false or misleading information regarding your international travel, you will be in violation of the Program and may be disciplined.

- If you are traveling internationally you MUST provide the dates of your travel to each location as well as a street address and telephone number where you can be reached at all times.

- You also MUST keep copies of travel documentation for four months after your trip. Travel documents include boarding passes, hotel and meal receipts and/or other forms of proof that you traveled. - The Performance Enhancing Substances policy requires you to update Dr. Lombardo through the PES website. To get assistance with your username/password or update location by phone, call (614) 620-6052.

I believe that's PED testing not street legal drugs or in the drug program already.

As I said earlier they are only tested once at the beginning of the year for drugs unless you enter the drug program due to a failed drug test. These two articles explain it pretty simply. The drug testing date starts in April (sometimes on 4-20 of all days) And lasts to the end of the preseason. So players need to stay clean for that period of time then they can self medicate all they like. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1668902-insiders-perspective-on-nfl-drug-tests

https://deadspin.com/its-remarkably-easy-to-beat-nfl-drug-testing-1695935246

Just now, Stonej14 said:

I believe that's PED testing not street legal drugs or in the drug program already.

Yeah I asked specifically about that. I don't care what they have fun with in March (or in September or during the gane for all I care); I think PEDs are more a health risk to the league as a whole.

1 minute ago, Boudewijn said:

I think PEDs are more a health risk to the league as a whole.

Agreed

• Thanks 1

Oh one of the great disadvantages of drafting in early July. Took Zeke in a new dynasty league and now kind of well screwed it might appear. I was able to grab Morris however not Pollard. What are owners thoughts on this backfield might play out with no Zeke?

14 hours ago, eg4190 said:

Thanks a lot, Le'Veon. Even if Bell winds up never recouping that franchise tag money, the fact that the Jets paid him after his holdout totally validated the strategy.  If they don't find a way to fix this in the next CBA, every fantasy offseason is going to involve one or more top-5 backs holding out to keep their body fresh until they get their payday. Once again we have to guess how serious Zeke is about skipping the season, leaving us with this exhausting game of reading the tea leaves on his Mexican adventure, with Alfred Morris's range of outcomes being anywhere from RB98 to RB13.

it's not the same Bell was not under contract, Zeke is under contract.  Zeke isn't free to sign with anyone next year. he has 2 years left on a contract.  there is no path to free agency with an extended holdout this is simply Zeke putting the cowboys on notice and setting the stage for next year,  the added benefit for him is he doesn't have to to do training camp or preseason if he holds out now.  Zeke has absolutely zero leverage here and no options. the cowboys hold his rights as a player, holding out doesn't change that in any way. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

While I totally support making fun of Jerry Jones, as much as we can, I also have to say: out of the last 20 Superbowl winners (18 of which were the Patriots of course), only 4 had an RB with 1500+yards.

Sure.  But most of these teams did have an elite QB at the time.  And in the Patriots case, the lack of one RB was by design.  These teams knew what they had going into the season and schemed accordingly.  The Cowboys built this team with the idea of being able to control the ball and wear down defenses.   Much of that based on having Zeke in the picture.   Had they known (or prepared) for this situation ahead of time, maybe they could pivot.   But it's awful late.   Dak is fine for a QB but I don't think he's someone that can carry a team to SB by dominating in the passing game. 

I agree that teams don't need an elite RB to win a championship but imo having Zeke on the field significantly improves their chances this season. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, UcanTry said:

Oh one of the great disadvantages of drafting in early July. Took Zeke in a new dynasty league and now kind of well screwed it might appear. I was able to grab Morris however not Pollard. What are owners thoughts on this backfield might play out with no Zeke?

I think it will be a mess.   Pollard would be the one to own I suppose.  He's likely the primary pass catcher and should get some early down work as well.

2 hours ago, K197040 said:

Sure.  But most of these teams did have an elite QB at the time.  And in the Patriots case, the lack of one RB was by design.  These teams knew what they had going into the season and schemed accordingly.  The Cowboys built this team with the idea of being able to control the ball and wear down defenses.   Much of that based on having Zeke in the picture.   Had they known (or prepared) for this situation ahead of time, maybe they could pivot.   But it's awful late.   Dak is fine for a QB but I don't think he's someone that can carry a team to SB by dominating in the passing game. 

I agree that teams don't need an elite RB to win a championship but imo having Zeke on the field significantly improves their chances this season. 

Didn't they draft two RB's? Sure seems like they were positioning themselves to be better prepared if Zeke got suspended or held out.  Also can we really consider a team coached by Garrett a real super bowl contender?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, youngrice said:

Didn't they draft two RB's? Sure seems like they were positioning themselves to be better prepared if Zeke got suspended or held out.  Also can we really consider a team coached by Garrett a real super bowl contender?

Yes and maybe one of them turns out to be capable.  But if they want to win right now, they need EE on the field.  Personally, I'd love for them to take a stand and see how far he's willing to go.  He got $16 million up front and has 2 years left on his contract.  Not to mention all the trouble he's been off the field.

And your second question is part of the support for why they need Zeke now.   I don't think he's (Garrett) capable of being creative enough to make it work without an elite RB. 

In general I hate the idea of paying big money for an RB.  I think long term it's better spent on O-Line or top defensive players. 

Edited by K197040
  • Like 2

On 7/30/2019 at 4:00 PM, K197040 said:

Yes and maybe one of them turns out to be capable.  But if they want to win right now, they need EE on the field.  Personally, I'd love for them to take a stand and see how far he's willing to go.  He got $16 million up front and has 2 years left on his contract.  Not to mention all the trouble he's been off the field.

And your second question is part of the support for why they need Zeke now.   I don't think he's (Garrett) capable of being creative enough to make it work without an elite RB. 

In general I hate the idea of paying big money for an RB.  I think long term it's better spent on O-Line or top defensive players. 

I agree on both points.

Big Cowboys fan and I'm also fine with them letting Zeke sit.  Frankly, I'm tired of this inmates running the asylum stuff that Bell really seemed to make popular last year.  I think Zeke has a problem here because I just don't know if the cowboys are even really able to pay Zeke if they plan on paying Dak and Cooper.  They've also got a lot of money tied up in the OL.  

The absolute best move IMO for the Cowboys from a business perspective is to have Zeke these next 2 years, maybe franchise him for one after that and then let him walk.  And he knows it.

And agree on Garrett.  He doesn't know how to do anything except play conservative, pound it out football.  He could never think out of the box enough to make it work without Zeke.

Either way, I hope they stand tall here.  Make Zeke site for two years if they can.  This guy has been nothing but a distraction and is one strike away from a big suspension.  No wonder he wants to get paid now because one slip up and he's losing tons of money.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

I agree on both points.

Big Cowboys fan and I'm also fine with them letting Zeke sit.  Frankly, I'm tired of this inmates running the asylum stuff that Bell really seemed to make popular last year.  I think Zeke has a problem here because I just don't know if the cowboys are even really able to pay Zeke if they plan on paying Dak and Cooper.  They've also got a lot of money tied up in the OL.  

The absolute best move IMO for the Cowboys from a business perspective is to have Zeke these next 2 years, maybe franchise him for one after that and then let him walk.  And he knows it.

And agree on Garrett.  He doesn't know how to do anything except play conservative, pound it out football.  He could never think out of the box enough to make it work without Zeke.

Either way, I hope they stand tall here.  Make Zeke site for two years if they can.  This guy has been nothing but a distraction and is one strike away from a big suspension.  No wonder he wants to get paid now because one slip up and he's losing tons of money.

The benefit of not paying zeke is that you get to see what Dak truly is as a QB. Before you pay him franchise QB money you better know he can win games without feeding Zeke 30 times a game. 

So you let Zeke sit a year and if Dak does great than you feel great paying him. If he tanks without Zeke (Which I think is a possibility) then at least you didn't overpay for Dak. 

I love Zeke but he is the kind of RB that will hit a wall sooner rather than later. So while I don't blame him for wanting to get paid, I also understand why the Cowboys are not going to cave. 

This could get real interesting. 

• Like 1

Where is Zeke currently falling in redraft leagues (10 teamers)?

19 hours ago, wideopen21 said:

The benefit of not paying zeke is that you get to see what Dak truly is as a QB. Before you pay him franchise QB money you better know he can win games without feeding Zeke 30 times a game. 

So you let Zeke sit a year and if Dak does great than you feel great paying him. If he tanks without Zeke (Which I think is a possibility) then at least you didn't overpay for Dak. 

i honestly wish this would be the case, and i totally agree with whats being recently said from TTS and K19 above.  Problem is and the reason i quoted you here, i think its very likely we see Dak's deal come down very soon.  Like, in camp soon.  I love your thought process here bc it makes too much sense.  But this isn't the feeling i've been getting from the Cowboys in general.  The Cowboys want to pay Dak, Cooper, then Zeke ideally. We all know that.  Given the draft spot and money for Zeke, the off the field issues, plus two years left on his deal.  Zeke is jumping the gun here, IMO, and making this all very difficult for the Cowboys.  Terrible place to be in for the Jones' thats for sure.   Even as productive as Zeke has been, i still don't believe he deserves a contract right now given his history.  You don't get to set the RB market IMO when you're one more mess up away from possibly missing a LOT of a season and your a** has already been called to Roger's office just over a month ago.

11 hours ago, Jin said:

Where is Zeke currently falling in redraft leagues (10 teamers)?

so far in early drafts right now I'm still seeing him picked top 5.  

• Thanks 1

This season begins a new era of how fantasy owners view holdouts and the first round could be really shaken up as a result. We always basically assumed that a player holding out would either report eventually or get their money, but Bell set a new precedent. Obviously his contract situation was a bit different than Zeke's, but folks will be more cautious on draftday regardless. I guarantee you won't see many of Bell's 2018 owners going after Zeke or Gordon if they aren't in camp by draftday. 

Drafts will start taking place for some leagues very soon and if both of these RBs are still holding out, you could see them leapfrogged by any number of guys who would otherwise be late first-rounders and owners will have to make a decision about how far they are willing to let the holdouts fall. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

spacer.png

I think that a lot of people period, not just the people who drafted Bell last year, will be passing on Elliott and Gordon if they have a first round pick.  I thought for sure that Elliott at least would report sometime in August but everything I'm hearing/reading is negative so it could very well last into the season.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if Gordon is traded before the season starts.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SenatorSpaceman said:

This season begins a new era of how fantasy owners view holdouts and the first round could be really shaken up as a result. We always basically assumed that a player holding out would either report eventually or get their money, but Bell set a new precedent. Obviously his contract situation was a bit different than Zeke's, but folks will be more cautious on draftday regardless. I guarantee you won't see many of Bell's 2018 owners going after Zeke or Gordon if they aren't in camp by draftday. 

Drafts will start taking place for some leagues very soon and if both of these RBs are still holding out, you could see them leapfrogged by any number of guys who would otherwise be late first-rounders and owners will have to make a decision about how far they are willing to let the holdouts fall. 

i think you're on the right track here and its going to get messy moving forward.  Next one on deck to watch for, 3rd round pick Alvin Kamara entering his final year in 2020.  MT got paid, I'm very curious if Kamara does also

Edited by BlakeP42

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bronco Billy said:

spacer.png

Dam I wanna be there, leave the wife home with the kids.  The guy girl ratio is thru the roof

Edited by 1972Miamidolphins
  • Haha 1

The Zeke situation really looks like it's getting ugly.  Looks like Elliott owners should do the best they can to grab Alfred Morris off the wire.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Ezekiel Elliott's holdout could drag on for months into the season.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport summarized Jones thoughts by saying, "Because of CBA rules that [Jones] called kind of sloppy, he does not yet see an end to this holdout. He even made a quick comment that it could be months into the season." The two sides remain far from an agreement, and it's now beginning to threaten his 2019 opening day status. Elliott is trying to become the highest-paid back in the league, but the Cowboys have other high-profile contracts to sort out, too. Drafting Elliott with a top-four fantasy pick is becoming riskier and riskier.

Aug 2, 2019, 11:54 AM ET

Man, I hope this resolves before my draft on 8/26. Not trying to take a risk on this guy with pick 3.

• Like 1

I get that in this era of suspensions / holdouts taking risks can win you leagues but I just can’t in the first round. I think it’s fair to say he’s arguably no longer a first round pick at this point.

14 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

Man, I hope this resolves before my draft on 8/26. Not trying to take a risk on this guy with pick 3.

3rd pick your fine.  One of the other 3 right now.  They are all so close that Zeke isn't worth the risk.  Its guys with the fourth pick and below that have the real decision to make.