Boudewijn

Ezekiel Elliott 2019 Outlook

2 minutes ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Zeke has made Dallas relevant again and brought in far more money and value to the Cowboys than they've ever paid him - they wouldn't even be sniffing the playoffs without him.

DING DING DING

Jerruh needs to stop being a penny pincher. If they wanted to pay him less than Gurley's current deal then they should have re-upped Zeke before that even happened. The longer this goes on, the more expensive Zeke gets, that's the name of the game. It almost always pays to get ahead of situations like this with players you KNOW are going to be cornerstones of your franchise.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Give Houston a call.  Zeke wouldn't even have to go out of state.

methinks Jerrruhhh would pay Zeke 80 mil per before he would EVER cede Texas.

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

"And as for the awards, Elliott was named team offensive MVP. "

Not an insignificant footnote and I'm sure not lost on Jerry. As others have alluded, the Cowboys would be the NFC Colts minus Luck without Zeke.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

He is the one holding out on the contract HE signed. Don't sign it if you don't like it. He is sending the bad message. Finish the deal YOU agreed to and then see what they think of you with a new contract.

Poor take when we are talking about the mandatory rookie contract as imposed by the CBA.  Do better sir.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

Poor take when we are talking about the mandatory rookie contract as imposed by the CBA.  Do better sir.

Sign it or go find another job or league to play in. Next!

Also, I don't understand why posters keep saying the Cowboys have a cupcake schedule to start. They don't. They don't play the Chiefs and the Patriots on the road but they play 2 divisional rivals in that opening three game stretch. Divisional matchups (especially in the NFC East are never easy). One game is at Washington where the Cowboys LOST last year. The other is at home against the Giants where they won by a TD last year (on the road they beat the Giants by 1 pt). The matchup is not as lopsided as people are making it out to be. And though they lost Odell, the Giants should be a solid team and were extremely competitive last year, losing like half of their games by a touchdown. The Cowboys should beat the Dolphins at home easily. A 1-2 start without Zeke is not unrealistic. A 2-1 start in my view is likely, splitting the divisional games. Then the schedule is BRUTAL with no zeke:

At NO (L), home against GB (L), at NYJ (L?), home against PHI (L), at NYG (L), home against MN (L), at DET (W?), at NE (L), home against BUF (W), at CHI (L), home against LAR (L), at PHI (L), home against WAS (W?).

Actually, the first 3 games are of little significance - without Zeke, this team will be lucky to win 7 games.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

Also, I don't understand why posters keep saying the Cowboys have a cupcake schedule to start. They don't. They don't play the Chiefs and the Patriots on the road but they play 2 divisional rivals in that opening three game stretch. Divisional matchups (especially in the NFC East are never easy). One game is at Washington where the Cowboys LOST last year. The other is at home against the Giants where they won by a TD last year (on the road they beat the Giants by 1 pt). The matchup is not as lopsided as people are making it out to be. And though they lost Odell, the Giants should be a solid team and were extremely competitive last year, losing like half of their games by a touchdown. The Cowboys should beat the Dolphins at home easily. A 1-2 start without Zeke is not unrealistic. A 2-1 start in my view is likely, splitting the divisional games. Then the schedule is BRUTAL with no zeke:

At NO (L), home against GB (L), at NYJ (L?), home against PHI (L), at NYG (L), home against MN (L), at DET (W?), at NE (L), home against BUF (W), at CHI (L), home against LAR (L), at PHI (L), home against WAS (W?).

Actually, the first 3 games are of little significance - without Zeke, this team will be lucky to win 7 games.

ok, they will struggle offensively, that's a given ... but Mr.Marianelli and the 11 guys on the D side of the ball are gonna have a lot to say about these games, as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Sign it or go find another job or league to play in. Next!

Yes, that's the question.  Elliott feels his value has far exceeded his compensation, therefore he wants more money or he will not play.  Seems like a pretty reasonable position to me, and thus, a holdout continuing into the season is likely.

Are you, perhaps, a member of management for your particular company or organization?  

• Like 2

Just now, SharkSwimmer said:

Yes, that's the question.  Elliott feels his value has far exceeded his compensation, therefore he wants more money or he will not play.  Seems like a pretty reasonable position to me, and thus, a holdout continuing into the season is likely.

Are you, perhaps, a member of management for your particular company or organization?  

If he sucked would he be giving money back to the cowboys even though he has a contract? They should let him retire if he is not happy.

8 minutes ago, timexsocialclub said:

O line nursing injuries too

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/cowboys-o-line-nursing-several-injuries-raising-concern-level-in-possible-absence-of-ezekiel-elliott/amp/

28 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

DING DING DING

Jerruh needs to stop being a penny pincher. If they wanted to pay him less than Gurley's current deal then they should have re-upped Zeke before that even happened. The longer this goes on, the more expensive Zeke gets, that's the name of the game. It almost always pays to get ahead of situations like this with players you KNOW are going to be cornerstones of your franchise.

This has nothing to do with JJ being cheap - and I have always hated the cowboys.  This is simply a result of the salary cap.  If the NFL gave them a cap exemption JJ would probably give him Todd Gurley's deal plus 50%.

9 minutes ago, oban14 said:

This has nothing to do with JJ being cheap - and I have always hated the cowboys.  This is simply a result of the salary cap.  If the NFL gave them a cap exemption JJ would probably give him Todd Gurley's deal plus 50%.

Agree mostly with this.  No salary cap, he gets paid handsomely.  However...they are SO close in number now (or at least it appears to be).  If you're willing to offer a contract that close, then just give him what he wants, take your losses, and worry about Dak and the rest of them after.

Either that, or don't offer the contract and see what you have in Pollard.  If you're gonna gamble, then gamble.

Honestly, I think JJ is basically resigned to caving, given their actions.  They keep sending contracts and Zeke keeps declining.  Certainly not what is going on with the Melvin Gordon holdout, for example.  My take is that JJ is going to wait until he absolutely has to do it, just to see if he can squeeze a small concession out of Zeke.

These guys are close though.  I think it gets done either right before the season starts or shortly after.  Being this close, I don't see them giving up.  It would be like driving 99 yards and then punting.

Edited by Brownsfan74
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, oban14 said:

The reason why there is a salary cap in the first place is because JJ is cheap. 

8 minutes ago, munde53 said:

The reason why there is a salary cap in the first place is because JJ is cheap. 

San Diego is cheap.  Cincinnati is cheap.  If the NFL let JJ spend 500 million over two years on FAs so he could win a super bowl he would do it.

2 minutes ago, oban14 said:

San Diego is cheap.  Cincinnati is cheap.  If the NFL let JJ spend 500 million over two years on FAs so he could win a super bowl he would do it.

JJ pushed for a salary cap so he would have an excuse to not sign all of his players after wining those Super Bowls because he didn't want to pay them.

[AC content and responses removed.  "I have the #x pick, thinking about picking Y or Z" does not belong in this forum.]

No way is Zeke worth taking ahead of McCaffrey and Kamara. They are sure things and could outscore him even if he doesn’t miss any games. Throw in Zeke’s uncertainty and it’s a no-brainer to take those other guys over him. At this point I would probably also take Bell over Elliott. If Elliott misses even 1 game due to holdout, he’s not worth a top 4 draft price. 

1 hour ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

If he sucked would he be giving money back to the cowboys even though he has a contract? They should let him retire if he is not happy.

Yes.  If he sucked, he could be cut as the Cowboys literally teared up his contract.  [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed personal attack.

1 hour ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Agree mostly with this.  No salary cap, he gets paid handsomely.  However...they are SO close in number now (or at least it appears to be).  If you're willing to offer a contract that close, then just give him what he wants, take your losses, and worry about Dak and the rest of them after.

Either that, or don't offer the contract and see what you have in Pollard.  If you're gonna gamble, then gamble.

Honestly, I think JJ is basically resigned to caving, given their actions.  They keep sending contracts and Zeke keeps declining.  Certainly not what is going on with the Melvin Gordon holdout, for example.  My take is that JJ is going to wait until he absolutely has to do it, just to see if he can squeeze a small concession out of Zeke.

These guys are close though.  I think it gets done either right before the season starts or shortly after.  Being this close, I don't see them giving up.  It would be like driving 99 yards and then punting.

There are a lot of ways to skin a cat.  You could give him an extension, convert a lot of the guaranteed money into a signing bonus that is paid upfront, and the cap hits would not be as high.  NFL teams make deals like that all the time.  Plus the cap continues to rise, so it's not a valid excuse IMO.  If they were really that tight on the cap, I'm sure there would be plenty of other fat they could cut which would still give them the ability to retain Zeke.

29 minutes ago, y2jbones said:

If Elliott misses even 1 game due to holdout, he’s not worth a top 4 draft price. 

False.  if you could guarantee me 4 weeks missed or less.. I’d take Zeke as a top 4 without a second thought.  

Once he’s back you have the best rb in the league, and I know who his cuff is in the meantime.   There’s also no byes and few injuries- so I’m not hurting for options early.   

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

False.  if you could guarantee me 4 weeks missed or less.. I’d take Zeke as a top 4 without a second thought.  

Once he’s back you have the best rb in the league, and I know who his cuff is in the meantime.   There’s also no byes and few injuries- so I’m not hurting for options early.   

solid musings right here. 

sagacious, even ... 

are you folks forgetting you have 14 or 15 or 16 rds after rd 1?

trust your hunches and gut - build something more than a carbon copy ADP cheat sheet - live a little.  

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Agreed.  It's all about the playoffs, baby.  Only reason to hesitate is if you think he really might pull a Bell and sit out all year, or if you think he'll come back late and out-of-shape and likely get injured once he comes back.  The "Zeke who?" comment from Jerry was laughable.  Once he's back in the fold, he's not getting passed up by Pollard or anyone else.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Yes.  If he sucked, he could be cut as the Cowboys literally teared up his contract.  [...]

[...] They would not need to cut him but keep money from him. Just like him holding out. Both need to full fill their contracts they agreed to.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed personal attack.