Boudewijn

Ezekiel Elliott 2019 Outlook

12 minutes ago, Lamont Sanford said:

I like the analogy too, though wouldn’t it be more accurate to say that Zeke is arguably the best dishwasher, and therefore believes he deserves to be the highest paid dishwasher?

This

5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Yes, that's the question.  Elliott feels his value has far exceeded his compensation, therefore he wants more money or he will not play.  Seems like a pretty reasonable position to me, and thus, a holdout continuing into the season is likely.

Are you, perhaps, a member of management for your particular company or organization?  

You do have to at least consider the other side of the coin though.  How much of Elliott's value was a product of the system/team that he was a part of?  

If Zeke was drafted by the Bengals or Bills would he be worth #1 $$ today?  

If Zeke was on the bills or bengals he would be an ok rb still top 15 in the league but not considered one of the best. The cowboys have some stud o line pieces that bengals or bills just do not have. i still think cowboys shoiuld have drafted jalen ramseyand went with a derrick henry type in that draft or just have alfred morris be cheap labor these past few years (clearly not zeke level but serviceable)/ CJ Anderson last year proved if the offense is elite a replacement level rb can get the job done.

Let's get real here. Do these professional ball players really deserve all this money they're getting? Before you forget- yes this is a game. Business, yes. But first and foremost this is a game. One that American's and others all over the world are willing to pay to go see.

Ahh, the price of entertainment!

We created this monster before us, let us reap it.

• Like 1

Just now, lavaman said:

Let's get real here. Do these professional ball players really deserve all this money they're getting? Before you forget- yes this is a game. Business, yes. But first and foremost this is a game. One that American's and others all over the world are willing to pay to go see.

True that. None of these guys deserve the millions they earn. But while they do, I'm not going to act like the guy trying to get his fair pay relative to his peers is the bad guy

1 minute ago, dms80790 said:

True that. None of these guys deserve the millions they earn. But while they do, I'm not going to act like the guy trying to get his fair pay relative to his peers is the bad guy

Wrong. Zeke made the Cowboys more money last year than he got paid in his entire career. As long as people keep watching football you don't get to call them overpaid. 

• Like 5

Just now, miasma16 said:

Wrong. Zeke made the Cowboys more money last year than he got paid in his entire career. As long as people keep watching football you don't get to call them overpaid. 

Oh believe me, I know what you're saying. We as a society are the ones to blame. If it wasn't for us common folk paying hundreds of dollars for tickets, cable subscriptions, NFL ticket, merchandise etc. then these guys wouldn't be paid so much. I'm not gonna blame the players for taking advantage of an opportunity. 

It's just my personal philosophy that a guy that plays with a ball for entertainment, or sings into a microphone, or acts on a television screen shouldn't many multiple times the salary of people like doctors, engineers, professors, etc. 

I know that's not how the world works. It's all about ad money, endorsement deals, television contracts, ticket sales, etc. They bring in tons of revenue so they "earn" it. But it just feels wrong. A lot of things in the world aren't fair though so that's just the way it is. 

Regardless, I have zero issue with Zeke holding out to fight for his fair share relative to his peers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dms80790 said:

Why? Because he's trying to get the money he deserves before it's too late? It's laughable to me that mediocre QBs get 30+mill a year and Zeke is getting nickel and dimed for wanting 15 mill, which is half of what they're going to end up paying the game manager Dak.

The argument that well that's what rbs and QBs get is just dumb to me. This is the only way for rbs to get that kind of money so it can become the norm for their position. It really isn't fair that elite backs like Zeke literally put the team on their back and have to pull teeth to get the money they deserve. Zeke isn't the bad guy here. He's not only trying to get himself more money but also sticking up for the rest of the RBs.

It is ridiculous that RBs get treated the way they do relative to not only QBs but also WRs. As we all know, RBs have a much shorter lifespan than WRs. They also touch the ball a hell of a lot more than WRs do, especially workhorses like Zeke. Zeke is holding out while he still has a chance because if he didn't the cowboys would do him like the Steelers wanted to do Bell and ride the wheels until they came off then dump him. I know Zeke has more years left than Bell, but the concept is the same. 

And before anyone asks, no I am not Marshall Faulk 

This is very well put. Zeke is not only sticking up for himself and thinking of his future financially, but represents the running back corps. He wants half of what Dallas is giving Dak, its crazy. 

1 hour ago, lavaman said:

No they don't. But I can't care about it else it'd turn me sour, it is what it is. I can't control life so I take the things I love and enjoy them, football is one. I can't worry about what these kids do tho. 

9 minutes ago, Brettg57 said:

This is very well put. Zeke is not only sticking up for himself and thinking of his future financially, but represents the running back corps. He wants half of what Dallas is giving Dak, its crazy. 

Yeah that is pretty crazy but QBs are worth more to the game than RBs and have a way longer shelf life

I will say that Zeke probably helps cowboys more than Dak. THey should swap contracts.

2 minutes ago, bhawks489 said:

Yeah that is pretty crazy but QBs are worth more to the game than RBs and have a way longer shelf life

I will say that Zeke probably helps cowboys more than Dak. THey should swap contracts.

They’re worth more because of supply and demand. Give the NFL 60 starting caliber Qb’s and there contracts would deflate tremendously. This is why the rb’s are having so much trouble. There isn’t enough talent gap and championship teams have shown you don’t need a Zeke to win the super bowl. 

• Like 3

Also remember that NFL has a hard salary cap. More money to start players = less money elsewhere. 

I personally think defensive players should get most of the money as a top defense can keep team in games. QBs shouldn’t unless you are too 5.

Pats can win without a stud RB (or WR). CJ Anderson easily replaced Gurley. 

2 hours ago, dms80790 said:

Why? Because he's trying to get the money he deserves before it's too late? It's laughable to me that mediocre QBs get 30+mill a year and Zeke is getting nickel and dimed for wanting 15 mill, which is half of what they're going to end up paying the game manager Dak.

The argument that well that's what rbs and QBs get is just dumb to me. This is the only way for rbs to get that kind of money so it can become the norm for their position. It really isn't fair that elite backs like Zeke literally put the team on their back and have to pull teeth to get the money they deserve. Zeke isn't the bad guy here. He's not only trying to get himself more money but also sticking up for the rest of the RBs.

It is ridiculous that RBs get treated the way they do relative to not only QBs but also WRs. As we all know, RBs have a much shorter lifespan than WRs. They also touch the ball a hell of a lot more than WRs do, especially workhorses like Zeke. Zeke is holding out while he still has a chance because if he didn't the cowboys would do him like the Steelers wanted to do Bell and ride the wheels until they came off then dump him. I know Zeke has more years left than Bell, but the concept is the same. 

And before anyone asks, no I am not Marshall Faulk 

Outstanding work.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brettg57 said:

Zeke is not only sticking up for himself and thinking of his future financially, but represents the running back corps.

Give me a break. He doesn't give one single f--- about how his holdout affects any other player in the league. He cares solely about himself and how much money he can make.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BIGFATPANDA said:

Word is Alfred is actually the starter and pollard is the change of pace back

Link?

6 hours ago, BIGFATPANDA said:

spacer.png

Dak has played 22 preseason snaps, Pollard has been the RB in the backfield for all 22 of those snaps.

I still think Zeke gets a deal done before the season starts, but if he doesn't Pollard will 100% get the bulk of snaps in Game 1.

Edited by vercrazy
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, BIGFATPANDA said:

Until Pollard turns a 4 yard play into 10.  Which should come somewhere in his first series.  Alf gets what's blocked, little more.  Pollard has quickness to break bigger plays.  

The thing I'm going back and forth on with Zeke is if it's worth the risk considering you will absolutely need to reach for Pollard to secure him. In a savvy competitive league there will be people looking to vulture him from you. Even if you plan on reaching in say round 6 for Pollard, your plan could get blown up by someone reaching for him just before your pick and then if Zeke misses more than 1 or 2 games, you're gonna be in a bad spot.

21 minutes ago, bangarrang said:

The thing I'm going back and forth on with Zeke is if it's worth the risk considering you will absolutely need to reach for Pollard to secure him. In a savvy competitive league there will be people looking to vulture him from you. Even if you plan on reaching in say round 6 for Pollard, your plan could get blown up by someone reaching for him just before your pick and then if Zeke misses more than 1 or 2 games, you're gonna be in a bad spot.

😂

People are really wasting 6th round picks on a guy that will be on waivers by the time Zeke (inevitably) signs?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GriffeySwag said:

😂

People are really wasting 6th round picks on a guy that will be on waivers by the time Zeke (inevitably) signs?

Right? 

It gets a little nuts this time of year lol.  If someone wants my cuff that bad then take him.   I’d love to see who’s available if people draft like this...

• Like 2

15 hours ago, KennyWoo said:
16 hours ago, dms80790 said:

Running backs are the dish washers of the NFL. They do the most work in the restaurant and take a physical beating on their bodies and get the least pay

Dishwashers are also commodity labor, much more easily replaced than the difference-making positions in the restaurant world: chef, maitre d', etc.  RBs are similarly situated.

In that regard, you are absolutely correct, and I love the comparison.  Zeke Elliott is one of the best dishwashers available.  Yet he wants "chef money."  

Well, it's more than that.  Zeke is saying that he's the only dishwasher out there who can clean dishes fast enough to keep the restaurant in business, and that JJ setup the restaurant based on how quickly he does the dishes.  He's saying if you want to keep restaurant profits high with fast table turnover (based on his clean dishes) that you better pay him.  He's confident you won't find another dishwasher who can keep the restaurant humming.

• Like 2

On one hand, Zeke signed a contract, and needs to honor it. IRL, if someone exceeds their ability on an existing contract, they don’t get to demand more money and withhold work. I find it inexcusable that the league and union even allow this to happen. 

On the other hand, they need to get rid of the current way contracts are handled. The top running back in a year, should get paid the top pay for that year. It’s time to move to performance based contracts. Everyone gets a base salary, and earns bonuses on everything from snaps played, to league leaders. Team bonuses for wins and team rankings, etc. Like in fantasy football, end of the year there is a list of best player to worst, and that’s how each should be paid top guy gets highest pay for the year, and lowest guy gets lowest pay. (Based on predetermined nfl ranking categories, not from fantasy football rankings)

You wouldn’t see anyone holdout ever again for money!

Zeke is elite. But the Cowboys line is the best in the NFL. Would Zeke put up the same stats had he played for the Bucs??? Can Pollard put up numbers somewhat close to Zeke in Dallas??? As of now, we won’t know those answers. If Pollard can put up 85% the stats Zeke did, why would the cowboys want to spend 15 million on Zeke, when Pollard is playing for peanuts? That money can be put towards making sure the cowboys keep the best offensive line in football, so pollard could keep working. 

If cowboys pay Zeke 15 million, then they might not be able to retain the best lineman, which in a couple years, could start affecting Zekes production and Dak’s health. 

Football is a team game, players that only care about being paid the most, affect their ability to do their job in the future, by hamstringing their teams ability to afford the best supporting players. After all, the NFL has a salary cap. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1