Boudewijn

Ezekiel Elliott 2019 Outlook

6 minutes ago, fourlees said:

The reason week six comes up is because Zeke knows he needs to be available for 8 games to get credit for season. he knows the cowboys could use up to 3 week roster exception before he is active. This insures his camp he gets credit if cowboys try it

He needs to report by week 10.  Their bye is week 8 IIRC.    

Roster exemption does not change the fact he reported.     Week 6 is just pulled from the PFF article that is entirely speculation from a writer. 

3 minutes ago, ThunderDan said:

Is this true?  I don't believe it is, but I could be wrong.  

what part don't you believe? need 8 weeks for credit - true, Joey Galloway arbitration ruling from way back. 3 week roster exemption- true nflpa

9 minutes ago, Chardo said:

They open with Giants, Washington, and Miami.  What if they're 3-0, and Pollard shows him they don't need Zeke?

Depends how they win.  If Pollard is putting up huge numbers, maybe.  If Pollard stinks and they are squeaking by, then it may help Zeke.

In 1993, the 0-2 start was part of why they signed Emmitt, but the bigger issue for the Cowboys was that they had the best OL in the league and Derrick Lassic could only get like 3.6 ypc behind it.  If they start 0-2 but Lassic is going for 150 yards rushing each game, the narrative would have been different.

The Steelers missed the playoffs last year, but nobody is saying it is because they didn't sign Bell.  This is because Connor was nearly as good as Bell.  The rushing game barely missed a beat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

He needs to report by week 10.  Their bye is week 8 IIRC.    

Roster exemption does not change the fact he reported.     Week 6 is just pulled from the PFF article that is entirely speculation from a writer. 

no if he is on roster exemption he does not get credit. look it up. he has to be on active roster. it is 8 weeks for credit not 8 games per Galloway ruling. report by 6, 7 8 9 roster exemption, 10-17 to get credit

4 minutes ago, fourlees said:

what part don't you believe? need 8 weeks for credit - true, Joey Galloway arbitration ruling from way back. 3 week roster exemption- true nflpa

First I've heard of 8 weeks - I thought  you needed 6 weeks (game weeks) to get credit.

2 minutes ago, oban14 said:

First I've heard of 8 weeks - I thought  you needed 6 weeks (game weeks) to get credit.

10:17
PFT Draft: Best coaching trios in NFL
nbc_pft_holdoutsclowneytrade_190829.jpg?itok=DRnLlveI

nbc_pft_jimmygonpurpose_190829.jpg?itok=ImwszJRS

pft_promo_1_2x.jpg

pft_promo_rail-no-guest.jpg

pft_promo_rail-podcast-v2.jpg

pft-pm-v4.jpg

NBCSN Channel Finder

Enter your zip code to find NBCSN near you

Cowboys may anticipate an Ezekiel Elliott return in October, at the latest

Posted by Mike Florio on August 29, 2019, 10:54 AM EDT

GettyImages-1090274102-e1546738203545.jp
Getty Images

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones may be trying to position himself for the ability to declare victory, even if running back Ezekiel Elliott‘s holdout lasts into the regular season.

“We’ve got a marathon here,” Jones said earlier this week. “We want Zeke when we get to the playoffs. We want Zeke when we’re in the dog days of the season.”

Whether they sign Elliott to a new contract or not, they’ll likely get Zeke in the “dog days of the season.” Signed through 2020, Elliott risks tolling his contract for a full year if he doesn’t show up in time to get credit for the fourth year of his five-year rookie deal. Under the Joey Galloway arbitration precedent from nearly 20 years ago, a player under contract gets credit for the contract year by playing in eight games.

Given the possibility that the Cowboys will request and receive a roster exemption of up to three weeks when Elliott returns, his best move would be to show up right after Week Six. That way, he’s guaranteed to be available for eight games — from Week 10 (a Sunday night contest vs. the Vikings) through Week 17 — even if the Cowboys use the maximum roster exemption.

The Cowboys understand these rules, and they surely assume that Elliott will show up in time to get credit for 2019, setting himself up for 2020 being the final year of his contract. By talking about the season being a marathon and wanting Zeke for the “dog days” and the playoffs, Jones hints at a regular-season holdout of up to six weeks, a roster exemption to get Zeke into shape, and then having Elliott on the team for the final two months of the regular season.

Of course, it’s possible that Elliott, who didn’t flinch at forfeiting a year of credit toward free agency, won’t care about letting his contract toll for a full year. If his goal isn’t to become a free agent but to get more money from the Cowboys, he could choose to skip the full season, giving up more than $3.5 million but preserving his body.

While that wouldn’t secure the same path to free agency that Le'Veon Bell finagled a year ago, Elliott’s leverage over the Cowboys comes from the withholding of services. And Elliott, who seemingly stunned the Cowboys with his training-camp holdout, could shock them by not showing up at all this season.

For now, they assume he’ll be there, perhaps no later than the days following the sixth Sunday of the season. Unless the two sides begin to make progress soon in their negotiations, it’s time to start looking at Week Six as the potential point of no return

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, fourlees said:

no if he is on roster exemption he does not get credit. look it up. he has to be on active roster. it is 8 weeks for credit not 8 games per Galloway ruling. report by 6, 7 8 9 roster exemption, 10-17 to get credit

According to this source- That went to arbitration and Seattle lost.  It’s week 10 regardless of roster exemption.  

“NFL contracts don’t toll (get shifted to the next season) unless a player misses more than 9 games in the year, which at this point, Elliott has not.

That number has never been clearly defined by the league, but Seattle lost an arbitration case when Joey Galloway held out for 9 games, but his contract was not tolled.

So as long as Elliott reports by Week 10, his fourth year in the NFL counts in 2019, his fifth-year option stays in 2020 and he will be a UFA in 2021. He will have to report by the accrued-season date in 2020 (provided no long-term deal is done by then) or he will risk being a restricted free agent in 2021, with the club still able to place the more expensive but more secure franchise tag on him that year.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/07/dallas-cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-holdout-contract-accrued-season-deadline-fines-signing-bonus-penalties-toll/amp/

Thanks for the update (not above me, two above me), chief! …. 

Edited by nlm

Ugh...if you drafted zeke in the first round, you already lost. Pollard and Morris suck

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fourlees said:

10:17
PFT Draft: Best coaching trios in NFL
nbc_pft_holdoutsclowneytrade_190829.jpg?itok=DRnLlveI

nbc_pft_jimmygonpurpose_190829.jpg?itok=ImwszJRS

pft_promo_1_2x.jpg

pft_promo_rail-no-guest.jpg

pft_promo_rail-podcast-v2.jpg

pft-pm-v4.jpg

NBCSN Channel Finder

Enter your zip code to find NBCSN near you

Cowboys may anticipate an Ezekiel Elliott return in October, at the latest

Posted by Mike Florio on August 29, 2019, 10:54 AM EDT

GettyImages-1090274102-e1546738203545.jp
Getty Images

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones may be trying to position himself for the ability to declare victory, even if running back Ezekiel Elliott‘s holdout lasts into the regular season.

“We’ve got a marathon here,” Jones said earlier this week. “We want Zeke when we get to the playoffs. We want Zeke when we’re in the dog days of the season.”

Whether they sign Elliott to a new contract or not, they’ll likely get Zeke in the “dog days of the season.” Signed through 2020, Elliott risks tolling his contract for a full year if he doesn’t show up in time to get credit for the fourth year of his five-year rookie deal. Under the Joey Galloway arbitration precedent from nearly 20 years ago, a player under contract gets credit for the contract year by playing in eight games.

Given the possibility that the Cowboys will request and receive a roster exemption of up to three weeks when Elliott returns, his best move would be to show up right after Week Six. That way, he’s guaranteed to be available for eight games — from Week 10 (a Sunday night contest vs. the Vikings) through Week 17 — even if the Cowboys use the maximum roster exemption.

The Cowboys understand these rules, and they surely assume that Elliott will show up in time to get credit for 2019, setting himself up for 2020 being the final year of his contract. By talking about the season being a marathon and wanting Zeke for the “dog days” and the playoffs, Jones hints at a regular-season holdout of up to six weeks, a roster exemption to get Zeke into shape, and then having Elliott on the team for the final two months of the regular season.

Of course, it’s possible that Elliott, who didn’t flinch at forfeiting a year of credit toward free agency, won’t care about letting his contract toll for a full year. If his goal isn’t to become a free agent but to get more money from the Cowboys, he could choose to skip the full season, giving up more than $3.5 million but preserving his body.

While that wouldn’t secure the same path to free agency that Le'Veon Bell finagled a year ago, Elliott’s leverage over the Cowboys comes from the withholding of services. And Elliott, who seemingly stunned the Cowboys with his training-camp holdout, could shock them by not showing up at all this season.

For now, they assume he’ll be there, perhaps no later than the days following the sixth Sunday of the season. Unless the two sides begin to make progress soon in their negotiations, it’s time to start looking at Week Six as the potential point of no return

According to this source- That went to arbitration and Seattle lost.  It’s week 10 regardless of roster exemption.  

“NFL contracts don’t toll (get shifted to the next season) unless a player misses more than 9 games in the year, which at this point, Elliott has not.

That number has never been clearly defined by the league, but Seattle lost an arbitration case when Joey Galloway held out for 9 games, but his contract was not tolled.

So as long as Elliott reports by Week 10, his fourth year in the NFL counts in 2019, his fifth-year option stays in 2020 and he will be a UFA in 2021. He will have to report by the accrued-season date in 2020 (provided no long-term deal is done by then) or he will risk being a restricted free agent in 2021, with the club still able to place the more expensive but more secure franchise tag on him that year.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/07/dallas-cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-holdout-contract-accrued-season-deadline-fines-signing-bonus-penalties-toll/amp/

I don't think either of these are correct.

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/football-ops/2018-nfl-free-agency-faq/

Q. What constitutes an accrued season?

Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved/injured or reserve/physically unable to perform lists.

That's straight from NFL.com.  It would be week 10 if they have a late bye week or week 11 if they have an early one.

correct, which is why he would only go to week 6, the team can use up to 3 week roster exemption and im sure they would if he pulled this.

3 minutes ago, fourlees said:

correct, which is why he would only go to week 6, the team can use up to 3 week roster exemption and im sure they would if he pulled this.

No, you’re missing the point.   Galloway’s case defined that a team cannot creatively manipulate roster status to force a contract to not toll.   Which, I’m assuming, is why the policy mentioned by @oban14was put in place. 

Its week 10 my man 

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, oban14 said:

nd not count

I don't think either of these are correct.

https://operations.nfl.com/updates/football-ops/2018-nfl-free-agency-faq/

Q. What constitutes an accrued season?

Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved/injured or reserve/physically unable to perform lists.

That's straight from NFL.com.  It would be week 10 if they have a late bye week or week 11 if they have an early one.

the team can still request a 3 week roster exemption, which would keep him off roster and not count. its weather u believe they would do it to screw him up for the year

Just now, Impreza178 said:

No, you’re missing the point.   Galloway’s case defined that a team cannot creatively manipulate roster status to force a contract to not toll.   Which, I’m assuming, is why the policy mentioned by @oban14was put in place. 

if u be;ive asking for the 3 week roster exemption is creatively manipulating, I dont

Just now, fourlees said:

the team can still request a 3 week roster exemption, which would keep him off roster and not count. its weather u believe they would do it to screw him up for the year

No, they can't.  If the player is able and willing to play for six games, the team can either activate them or deactivate them for those games but the six games count.  I still maintain it's week 11 with an early bye and week 10 with a late bye but in any case, the worst case for Zeke/Gordon fantasy owners is they show up with six games left to play and the team refuses to play them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oban14 said:

No, they can't.  If the player is able and willing to play for six games, the team can either activate them or deactivate them for those games but the six games count.  I still maintain it's week 11 with an early bye and week 10 with a late bye but in any case, the worst case for Zeke/Gordon fantasy owners is they show up with six games left to play and the team refuses to play them.

That is correct,  as precedent and updated NFL policy indicate.    

Just now, Impreza178 said:

That is correct,  as precedent and updated NFL policy indicate.    

Further, even if the team suspends him for "conduct detrimental to the team", I believe it would still count as a contract year.  NFL suspensions of more than 10 games are a different matter, in that case the contract year would not count (I am pretty sure).

• Like 1

Everything we are reading seems to suggest that week 1 is a long shot and a "marathon" is quite possible. JJ needs to fit Dak, Amari and Zeke's contract with the rest of the team under a hard cap.

If you don't have Pollard, trying to acquire him before he blows up may be prudent.

Last time we heard a holdout was coming back by week 8 because it would be dumb not to, well he plays for the Jets now.

I want NOTHING to do with Zeke.

I'll spend a flyer on Pollard and that's it.

6 minutes ago, fruitjacket said:

Last time we heard a holdout was coming back by week 8 because it would be dumb not to, well he plays for the Jets now.

Bell was not under contract ... Zeke is.

he's gonna pop back in sooner rather than later - totally different situations, contract wise. 

• Like 2

So, from what I can tell, we are looking at Zeke missing between 0-8 games.

Maybe we should be splitting the difference and valuing Zeke at 12 games?  If he signs early, great.  If he misses 8, then you didn't get totally screwed because you assumed only 12 games, not 16.

Where would you take him if you were guaranteed he would play 12 games?

What other teams would even pay that much for Zeek? Houston comes to mind, but they need lineman more then a rb. F this guy. I'd pull a Robert craft and lower my offer

30 minutes ago, fruitjacket said:

If people keep comping the Zeke situation to Leveon last year, I'm going to jump out the window.  They're not the same AT ALL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Bell was not under contract ... Zeke is.

he's gonna pop back in sooner rather than later - totally different situations, contract wise. 

I'ts my understanding that Zeke could sit out the year and be out of his contract, in which case he hits the open market and can get Gurley money.

If that's true, then I can totally see him doing that.

• Haha 2