Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Golden Spikes said:

This isn’t a matter of Chargers being cheap. It’s a matter of not overpaying a rb when you have bosa and rivers contract extensions still

I'd love to know what the Chargers know about his knees. I bet they don't want to pay big $.  I really like MG but I may have to sell for peanuts. Take whatever I can get as a draft pick for this upcoming draft. I can see from Gordon's perspective that this could legit be his last big contract if his body can't hold up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Well not true, Bell was tagged and his 2018 did not count so Pitts still had his rights for 1 more year if they wanted. Pitts decided to not franchise him again and basically let him out of his last year of his contract so he ended up a Free Agent.  Bell pissed off the team and his teammates enough that they let him walk.

Best thing Gordon can hope for is a trade at some point if he doesn't report sometime early.  Look how things went south for Bell during the year. it was ugly and Pitts couldn't bring him back. 

Wrong.

Bell was not under contract for the 2018 league year.

What the franchise tag did was give Pittsburgh exclusive negotiating rights with Bell.  He never signed the franchise tender, nor was he obligated to, so there was no contract.

Pittsburgh could've franchise tagged him again this year to retain exclusive right to sign him.  Because Bell did not play, the franchise tag would've been of the same kind (slightly different amount) as in 2018: 2nd consecutive franchise tag compensation (you can look up the details for first, second, and third year franchise tags - compensation escalates to discourage a team from doing so).  Had Bell signed by week 10 last year, franchising him this year would've been at the 3rd tag level - something like $30+ million.  All of which is a moot point since Bell didn't sign in 2018 and Pittsburgh didn't franchise him again in 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Well not true, Bell was tagged and his 2018 did not count so Pitts still had his rights for 1 more year if they wanted. Pitts decided to not franchise him again and basically let him out of his last year of his contract so he ended up a Free Agent.  Bell pissed off the team and his teammates enough that they let him walk.

Best thing Gordon can hope for is a trade at some point if he doesn't report sometime early.  Look how things went south for Bell during the year. it was ugly and Pitts couldn't bring him back. 

 

there is a difference with having his rights and having him under contract.  Bell wasn't under contract and PIT had already dicked him for multiple years with the franchise options, .  whereas Gordon is actually under contract this year on the last of his rookie deal and then would go through the franchise carousel.  big difference.  PIT choose to let Bell go because he would cost a crazy amount to the cap because it would be a 2nd/3rd tag. where  as Gordon wouldn't cost as much to the cap, once he goes into the franchise tag phase.    situation is apples to oranges. 

 

bell was a de facto FA even though the team had his rights, because of the cap hit.  that is not the case with gordon, he would just simply be under contract next year if he choose to skip out this year.  LAC has no pressure to trade him even if he threatens to hold out the season. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Panthor said:

 

there is a difference with having his rights and having him under contract.  Bell wasn't under contract and PIT had already dicked him for multiple years with the franchise options, .  whereas Gordon is actually under contract this year on the last of his rookie deal and then would go through the franchise carousel.  big difference.  PIT choose to let Bell go because he would cost a crazy amount to the cap because it would be a 2nd/3rd tag. where  as Gordon wouldn't cost as much to the cap, once he goes into the franchise tag phase.    situation is apples to oranges. 

 

bell was a de facto FA even though the team had his rights, because of the cap hit.  that is not the case with gordon, he would just simply be under contract next year if he choose to skip out this year.  LAC has no pressure to trade him even if he threatens to hold out the season. 

So u basically saying he has no choice but to play...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

So u basically saying he has no choice but to play...

 

unfortunately with the way the NFL is right now, that is pretty much it, he could retire i suppose.  but if he simply sits out this year he gains nothing, and simply paid LAC a ton of money in fines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jumper said:


I doubt he's making the HoF either way.  Half a year ain't going to make a whit of difference.  Unless the league decides he undeservingly gets in (like Jerome Bettis) he ain't even sniffing the Hall.  AP is the only lock for the Hall in the current RB crop,  with Saquon and Kamara being on track if they keep up their level of performance for an extended period.  

Frank Gore is 4th all time in rushing. All things considered he should be a lock for the hall of fame. Ezekiel Elliott has the 2nd all time rushing yards per game currently. A few yards less a game than Jim Brown. 4 more years behind the cowboys line and he is a lock in my opinion even more than Kamara.

 

LeSean McCoy and Marshawn Lynch are both top 30. I would not bet on either of them getting or think either are locks for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So in my 10-man redraft last night he was sitting there at the start of the 7th round, so I took him. Is this how late he’s going in drafts now? I didn’t feel great about it, but at that point I didn’t love anybody else in that spot and luckily I was able to grab Ekeler with my 8th round pick. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

So in my 10-man redraft last night he was sitting there at the start of the 7th round, so I took him. Is this how late he’s going in drafts now? I didn’t feel great about it, but at that point I didn’t love anybody else in that spot and luckily I was able to grab Ekeler with my 8th round pick. 

 

 

You should feel more than great about that pick. He will play this year , question is when . Plus you got ekeler. I drafted him early in the 2nd round before the latest news that he was gonna miss some regular season games . In a 10 team league I’d still draft him there. There will be plenty of fill in guys in a shallow league like that and when he comes back he could be a difference maker . 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 12:52 PM, Big Nate said:

I'm a Gordon owner in a keeper league and this is really worrying me, so much that I got a low ball offer (draft pick) that I'm thinking of jumping on.  I think MG knows his knees are not great long term and knows he needs to get paid now.  MG has been fantastic the past couple years but I ask fellow keeper/dynasty owners if you have been worrying about him long term? Thinking about getting off the train at some point?  

Who is confidently keeping this guy for 2019? I think he is worried about his health (similar to Bell) and is prepared to sit out until he gets a new deal or maybe a trade?  Even a trade to a new team doesn't guarantee he will produce or not end up in a timeshare.

Am I being pessimistic here? I just don't like this situation and may take this low ball offer just to get something/anything for him.  If he only misses a couple weeks thats fine but to keep him and he misses 10 weeks or the whole season?  Ouch. I had Bell last year and I did not like it.

I have him as a 4th round keeper.  Traded for his rights this year from the guy who originally had him at the 4th round value. We don't +1 our keepers for some reason.  Loved the value and the risk for future years too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jason20000 said:

Where would you guys draft him in a 12 team PPR?

 

Not sure what others would say, but for me not before the 5th/6th round at the earliest. Guy above said he got him in the 7th then grabbed Eckler in the 8th. I can see that and I think he's set up well either way. That seems about right to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The G Man said:

 

Not sure what others would say, but for me not before the 5th/6th round at the earliest. Guy above said he got him in the 7th then grabbed Eckler in the 8th. I can see that and I think he's set up well either way. That seems about right to me. 

I was sweating bullets Ekeler wasn’t going to make it back to me, because at least on my list he was one of the highest ranked players remaining. I definitely would have felt a lot worse about my team if someone had sniped him haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jason20000 said:

Where would you guys draft him in a 12 team PPR?

Took him at 4.2 in my 12 team ppr last night.  4th round on warrants the risk/reward in my opinion.  I didn't get Eckler who went in 7th but got Jackson in 10th.  Think it will be closer to a 50/50 split than people think as many don't realize Jackson was a true workhorse during his 4 years at Northwestern. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2019 at 3:08 PM, jumper said:


I doubt he's making the HoF either way.  Half a year ain't going to make a whit of difference.  Unless the league decides he undeservingly gets in (like Jerome Bettis) he ain't even sniffing the Hall.  AP is the only lock for the Hall in the current RB crop,  with Saquon and Kamara being on track if they keep up their level of performance for an extended period.  

Zeke too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phillyfan461 said:

Took him at 4.2 in my 12 team ppr last night.  4th round on warrants the risk/reward in my opinion.  I didn't get Eckler who went in 7th but got Jackson in 10th.  Think it will be closer to a 50/50 split than people think as many don't realize Jackson was a true workhorse during his 4 years at Northwestern. 

I actually prefer Jackson to Eckler. Just think he may be a better all around back. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He fell to pick 53 in the 12man superflex i just did. Pretty lol that I paired him with Zeke but whatever I like to gamble. Say he misses 6 games but comes back 100% the rest he way he has league winning upside.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, buzzkilloton said:

He fell to pick 53 in the 12man superflex i just did. Pretty lol that I paired him with Zeke but whatever I like to gamble. Say he misses 6 games but comes back 100% the rest he way he has league winning upside.

He will also have the same value as Adam's, Julio, and anyone else in the back half of the first round in trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2019 at 10:12 PM, peleincubus said:

I wonder how much making the hall of fame matters to him 

 

Where?  In Madden?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had my draft today....12 man.......he was still there in the 7th round. I couldn't believe it. I didn't plan on drafting him at all but in 7th i had to take him and then took eckeler in the 8th. I just hope he returns at some point.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 11:17 AM, JoeJoe88 said:

So in my 10-man redraft last night he was sitting there at the start of the 7th round, so I took him. Is this how late he’s going in drafts now? I didn’t feel great about it, but at that point I didn’t love anybody else in that spot and luckily I was able to grab Ekeler with my 8th round pick. 

You got him at a great value. I took him in the 5th round of my 10 team PPR draft. The reward seems worth the risk at that value. You can always draft Ekeler or Jackson later in the draft to hedge your bet somewhat. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 2:11 PM, timexsocialclub said:

Zeke too

 

Frank Gore gonna sneak up in there, too, methinks. his longevity is remarkable for the rb position  - compiler, sure - but the best football player at the position this era has seen. 

carry on - sorry ' bout the 'jack. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night I got him in round 6 in my 10 team PPR league (pick 57).  I already had Zeke, Fournette and Ingram but I couldn't pass him up at that point.  If all four RB's are healthy when he comes back, I figure I can just swap one for a top WR or TE.  

 

As others have said, he has to come back by week 10.  My only concern is if his replacements are doing incredible then he might not get a full workload when he comes back, but that seems unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.