Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

3 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Another Patriots reference lol.    Why do people still think other teams can do what they do?   

I know right, that's with a HOF QB and the best NFL head coach arguably ever. If your franchise doesn't have a decent QB to run your offense, most teams tend pivot to a strong run game and good D .Which even the Pats are doing now, since Brady is aging . Anywaysss, I hope Gordon plays week 1 . My RB stable is very suspect right now lol , snatching Gordon up in the 6th round could be HUGE for me .I hope Melvin and is agent are smart enough to know that their leverage is very little if any. I mean how much money has Melvin made in his career, can he really afford to miss game checks , like how Bell did. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Here's the difference between Elliott and Gordon:

Elliott is a two-time rushing champ with a top-four pick pedigree.  And his flagship franchise team is proven garbage without him.  Yeah maybe there are two years left on his deal, but that's leverage.  The Cowboys may cave.

On the other hand, Melvin Gordon is pretty good.  Gordon has put up nice fantasy numbers for the past few years due mostly to insane usage and an especially crazy amount of red zone and goal-line rushes and receptions.  But he plays for a crap franchise that won't win anything this year with or without him.  And Gordon's owners are notoriously cheap.  That's no leverage.  But Gordon believes, incorrectly in my opinion, that he is worth over $10 million per year.  The Chargers are not going to cave.

You're looking at each side from the angle that Elliot is more likely to play sooner than Gordon, which I disagree with.

The Cowboys may cave to Elliot, I don't dispute that, particularly if they lose early.  But I find it very unlikely Elliot caves to the Cowboys.  You are not factoring that in.  Look at all the communication that's come out of his camp, its all negative.  "Jones comments irked him", Faulk's criticism of Dak, etc.  If the Cowboys find early success in his absence, I'd think it would drive Elliot even further into his stance out of stubbornness and spite.

The Chargers have already offered Gordon $10M-$11M/ year in a contract.  That's a standing offer.  It's unlikely they go higher, but that's a fair deal, and one that I could easily see Gordon caving to as he's unlikely to receive more than that on the open market.  Gordon is still actively daily on Twitter, and 80% of his posts revolve around his Charger teammates.  He doesn't seem hell bent on sticking it to the Chargers, and from afar he appears much more likely to suit up before Elliott.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

The Chargers have already offered Gordon $10M-$11M/ year in a contract.  That's a standing offer.  It's unlikely they go higher, but that's a fair deal, and one that I could easily see Gordon caving to as he's unlikely to receive more than that on the open market.  Gordon is still actively daily on Twitter, and 80% of his posts revolve around his Charger teammates.  He doesn't seem hell bent on sticking it to the Chargers, and from afar he appears much more likely to suit up before Elliott.

Was Bell this active on Twitter last year? I just started following Gordon and took some time to go back to see some of his tweets and retweets and the guys seems like he knows that he has money on the table and is taking every opportunity to enjoy himself before he gets back in the fold before the season. 

I could be 100% wrong about that, but its just an opinion lol.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Here's the difference between Elliott and Gordon:

Elliott is a two-time rushing champ with a top-four pick pedigree.  And his flagship franchise team is proven garbage without him.  Yeah maybe there are two years left on his deal, but that's leverage.  The Cowboys may cave.

On the other hand, Melvin Gordon is pretty good.  Gordon has put up nice fantasy numbers for the past few years due mostly to insane usage and an especially crazy amount of red zone and goal-line rushes and receptions.  But he plays for a crap franchise that won't win anything this year with or without him.  And Gordon's owners are notoriously cheap.  That's no leverage.  But Gordon believes, incorrectly in my opinion, that he is worth over $10 million per year.  The Chargers are not going to cave.

The Chargers were 12-4 last year! And should be better this year. How are they a crap franchise with no chance to win anything? 🙄

Everyone has them ranked above the Cowboys. USA Today has them #2 LOL : https://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/rankings/

Edited by mbell317
  • Haha 1

Just now, mbell317 said:

The Chargers were 12-4 last year! And should be better this year. How are they a crap franchise with no chance to win anything? 🙄

threefold answer here:

Hoodie. 

Tom.

Homie. 

/fin

5 hours ago, Impreza178 said:

Another Patriots reference lol.    Why do people still think other teams can do what they do?   

Out of all I said and you hone in on the minimal Patriots portion of it. There is always THAT guy.

9 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

Teams that put a ton of money into their QB and RB don’t win. That’s just a fact. One or the other, but not both. Add in a highly paid WR and that’s death. Just look at the Falcons. Tell me a team where that three-headed money monster formula works? Rams have a cheap QB and affordable WRs. The Chiefs have the same. The Pats don’t spend big money on RBs. The Giants will waste Saquon’s cheap years and likely pay him big money later and stay a terrible franchise. The Cowboys can support a great offensive line year after year because they’ve had cheap QB and RB. I’d imagine a good offensive line helps a RB, no? The Chargers won’t give Gordon what he wants if they are smart, and neither will the Cowboys with Zeke. 

The Falcons had a 28-3 lead in the Superbowl with highly paid QB, WR, and RB - and that's not what cost them the game.

I'm sure all teams would love to emulate the Patriots, and it's simple to do so.  Just go out and get the greatest coach of all time then draft the greatest QB of all time, and, if it's not too much trouble, then convince that GOAT QB to marry an international supermodel so he can sign contracts at less than market value.

Easy-peasy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, SadFaceHappy said:

The Falcons had a 28-3 lead in the Superbowl with highly paid QB, WR, and RB - and that's not what cost them the game.

I'm sure all teams would love to emulate the Patriots, and it's simple to do so.  Just go out and get the greatest coach of all time then draft the greatest QB of all time, and, if it's not too much trouble, then convince that GOAT QB to marry an international supermodel so he can sign contracts at less than market value.

Easy-peasy

the qb woukd need to be drafted in the sixth round tho.....;)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

the qb woukd need to be drafted in the sixth round tho.....;)

Right!

Forgot to even mention that part.

I don't get why every team doesn't just do exactly what the Patriots do!

1 hour ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Easy-peasy

Those deals for Ryan and Freeman were after the SB. Easy there fella. I said the Patriots and I named other teams that don’t go out there and break the bank for RBs and WRs. They let other teams do it, handcuffing them for years because of it. You can add Pittsburgh to the list. Teams invest in a QB and then draft well. These are your teams that actually make the playoffs consistently. The Chargers can go right ahead and pay Gordon, but they better hope they win it all this year. That’ll be their window. I have Gordon so it isn’t like I don’t want them to be stupid and sign him to a rich deal.

Edited by FitzMagic

1 hour ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Easy-peasy

They also had a great draft and a very cheap (and healthy) defense.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Have we learned nothing from Le'Veon bells holdout?  It's not about the Max value of the contract. Edit: I say again, the Max value of the contract means almost nothing.  Teams can just cut the player, player could get hurt, etc.  The real issue is the amount that's guaranteed.  

Edited by Mathew Berry
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

Those deals for Ryan and Freeman were after the SB. Easy there fella. I said the Patriots and I named other teams that don’t go out there and break the bank for RBs and WRs. They let other teams do it, handcuffing them for years because of it. You can add Pittsburgh to the list. Teams invest in a QB and then draft well. These are your teams that actually make the playoffs consistently. The Chargers can go right ahead and pay Gordon, but they better hope they win it all this year. That’ll be their window. I have Gordon so it isn’t like I don’t want them to be stupid and sign him to a rich deal.

Ryan and Julio were on their second contracts, which were among the highest at the position, but Freeman was relatively cheap. They signed him to a big deal, which I disagreed with, the next year.

Paying those guys isn't what kept them from winning.  Poor personnel evaluation has been the problem, notably along the offensive line.

Any dogmatic rule, such as never paying a RB, is foolish.  You build the best team you can - sometimes that means letting a good RB walk and replacing him, sometimes it means paying the man at the top of the market.

Regardless, in Gordon's situation I tend toward letting him walk.  I can't believe the Chargers offered him $10m/year and he turned it down.  Gordon is an above average player, but he's no Zeke

• Like 4

6 hours ago, nonstopfan said:

Was Bell this active on Twitter last year? I just started following Gordon and took some time to go back to see some of his tweets and retweets and the guys seems like he knows that he has money on the table and is taking every opportunity to enjoy himself before he gets back in the fold before the season. 

I could be 100% wrong about that, but its just an opinion lol.

Bell very much was, but his entries were more negative towards the Steelers.

26 minutes ago, elaw77 said:

Does anyone think that this is just a ruse so Melvin would be fresher for the late season games? 

No.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mathew Berry said:

Have we learned nothing from Le'Veon bells holdout?  It's not about the Max value of the contract. Edit: I say again, the Max value of the contract means almost nothing.  Teams can just cut the player, player could get hurt, etc.  The real issue is the amount that's guaranteed.  

Tell me, which one of the two more aligns with Le'Veon Bell?

The knucklehead burning bridges, hanging out in Mexico, having little to no social media presence, with the camp slinging zingers at the franchise, who would be more inclined to be angered and spiteful if his team succeeds in his absence?

<or>

The guy who by all accounts is a top notch dude, is active daily on social media, still engaging with all his teammates, still supporting the team while saying he's a "steal" as a 6th Round fantasy draft pick … who coincidentally last year posted an apology to his fantasy owners for being injured during the fantasy playoffs.  And I don't point to fantasy posts as some kind of grand evidence, but it shows he's aware of his situation with the fans.

Zeke is NOT coming back at a discount (or his current deal) with 2 years left on his contract, plus Franchise Tag options.  If Dallas finds early success, that one could get very ugly with Zeke becoming disenfranchised and harder headed.  If the Chargers found success in Gordon's absence, they could simply move on from him next year and put money elsewhere, with Gordon returning Week 10 at worst and gaining his undrafted free agency.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Tell me, which one of the two more aligns with Le'Veon Bell?

The knucklehead burning bridges, hanging out in Mexico, having little to no social media presence, with the camp slinging zingers at the franchise, who would be more inclined to be angered and spiteful if his team succeeds in his absence?

<or>

The guy who by all accounts is a top notch dude, is active daily on social media, still engaging with all his teammates, still supporting the team while saying he's a "steal" as a 6th Round fantasy draft pick … who coincidentally last year posted an apology to his fantasy owners for being injured during the fantasy playoffs.  And I don't point to fantasy posts as some kind of grand evidence, but it shows he's aware of his situation with the fans.

Zeke is NOT coming back at a discount (or his current deal) with 2 years left on his contract, plus Franchise Tag options.  If Dallas finds early success, that one could get very ugly with Zeke becoming disenfranchised and harder headed.  If the Chargers found success in Gordon's absence, they could simply move on from him next year and put money elsewhere, with Gordon returning Week 10 at worst and gaining his undrafted free agency.

You're still missing the point my friend.  I'm not talking about success/ failure/ or end of any of these holdouts.  I'm pointing out that the issue these running backs have with the "offers"  is the part that's guaranteed.  

2 hours ago, Mathew Berry said:

You're still missing the point my friend.  I'm not talking about success/ failure/ or end of any of these holdouts.  I'm pointing out that the issue these running backs have with the "offers"  is the part that's guaranteed.  

Believe me, I understand that is the most important factor in player contracts.  I just think any conversation on Zeke vs. Gordon that pretends to know the in and outs of their current offers is disingenuous, and I'm not comfortable going down that road.  I'm trying to find other clues or parallels to formulate an opinion on how this ends up.  Like I said, everyone thought they knew the deal with LeVeon's contract last year and it wasn't truly known until week 8 or 9 that he didn't have to play to gain Unrestricted Free Agency.

35 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Believe me, I understand that is the most important factor in player contracts.  I just think any conversation on Zeke vs. Gordon that pretends to know the in and outs of their current offers is disingenuous, and I'm not comfortable going down that road.  I'm trying to find other clues or parallels to formulate an opinion on how this ends up.  Like I said, everyone thought they knew the deal with LeVeon's contract last year and it wasn't truly known until week 8 or 9 that he didn't have to play to gain Unrestricted Free Agency.

:confused pikachu face

A conversation about contract details, the willingness of either side to change their mind, the fairness of the deal is exactly the road you started us down. Edit: Literally the in and outs of the current offers situation. 

23 hours ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Edited by Mathew Berry

I'm buying into the hype of Gordon being back by Week 1. Probably not with a full workload that week, but still.

If you're getting him in the 4th, that seems like tremendous value. Of course it all comes with solid risk, just not as much risk as drafting Zeke a couple of rounds earlier.

The irony of where we are today. A few weeks ago we thought Zeke would be the one coming back and Gordon sitting and now it's the reverse 😂

14 minutes ago, Eazail said:

The irony of where we are today. A few weeks ago we thought Zeke would be the one coming back and Gordon sitting and now it's the reverse 😂

Well...Zeke talks are supposedly “intensifying” today 

2 hours ago, Eazail said:

I must be missing something...is there indication Gordon is getting a deal done? I haven’t seen that news. 

Edited by gufomel
  • Like 1