Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, tschwicht said:

 

Ok, yeah I thought about that after I posted. Either way, if he doesn't sign, they retain his rights for free and no one else gets him that year either.

Still not an idea situation for him to sit out 2 years. He will be 28 years old coming off two seasons out of the NFL basically looking for a big contract.

Not to mention he won't be getting paid any of that time. Still think the Bolts have the upper hand here.

 

Edit to add: I don't think that means he doesn't sit this year. But I highly doubt he doesn't sign the franchise tender next year and prove himself if it comes to that and there are no suitors. Because they will franchise him for a 1 year deal at that pay rate if he's still in good shape and worth it then. They aren't just going to let him walk.

 

For exactly the same reason Pitt didn't franchise Bell again this year, I don't see LAC franchising Gordon if he sits out this year until week 10.  It would be a bad look in the locker room to show that sort of pettiness.  They'd be essentially telling Gordon that you aren't playing anywhere if you aren't willing to play for us under our terms.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly Melvin has to miss at least a game if not a few at this point as he can hold out for 10 weeks.  He needs the Chargers to feel his absence, their clock is ticking as Rivers isn't getting any younger and they do not have a QB learning on deck yet.  

 

Also expect Melvin's negotiations to halt until at least Zeke (who seems waaay closer) gets his deal done (which may happen tonight? Probably happens in the 11th hour right before the first game tho).  So I fully expect Melvin to sit out at least 3 weeks after Zeke gets his deal done.  So expect to 99% not have him for the first 2 if not 3 weeks of the season.

 

If Ekeler and/or Justin Jackson end up goffing off Melvin may end up reporting sooner rather than later as that takes away from his leverage so why continue to miss game checks and hurt the team if Ekeler ends up being just as good (or dare I say better?).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, kevinwayne20 said:

 

For exactly the same reason Pitt didn't franchise Bell again this year, I don't see LAC franchising Gordon if he sits out this year until week 10.  It would be a bad look in the locker room to show that sort of pettiness.  They'd be essentially telling Gordon that you aren't playing anywhere if you aren't willing to play for us under our terms.  

 

I think you severely underestimate how stubborn the Chargers' front office is.

And what they would be saying is you aren't going to, as our first round pick, make us lose a year of your contract and then let you go freely to some other team without compensation. They aren't saying "you aren't playing anywhere if you aren't willing to play for us under our terms". They are saying you aren't skipping out a year of your contract and then playing somewhere else without us being compensated.

This is turning into a player vs. front office battle, and the front office will move on with a full bank account. Gordon won't. He's simply not in the same position. 

And to add to that, comparisons to Bell are ridiculous. Bell was more than proven as the TOP RB in the league. Gordon is on a rookie contract, has an injury history, and hasn't led the league ever. This is not the same situation and Gordon has neither the leverage (this year was not the time to sit out), nor the resume to do what he's doing and think it is going to turn out well.

I'm sure he's finding this out now while pursuing trades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tschwicht said:

 

I think you severely underestimate how stubborn the Chargers' front office is.

And what they would be saying is you aren't going to, as our first round pick, make us lose a year of your contract and then let you go freely to some other team without compensation. They aren't saying "you aren't playing anywhere if you aren't willing to play for us under our terms". They are saying you aren't skipping out a year of your contract and then playing somewhere else without us being compensated..

 not true.  They would likely receive a third or fourth round compensatory pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does it even mean for a player to pursue trades?  How does that work?

He obviously can't be like "Hey, if you trade for me, the Chargers need x (draft picks, players) in return."  He has no idea what kind of deal the Chargers are willing to do.

Does it mean he can just tell teams that he'd like to play for them, and then hope that team calls the Chargers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

What does it even mean for a player to pursue trades?  How does that work?

He obviously can't be like "Hey, if you trade for me, the Chargers need x (draft picks, players) in return."  He has no idea what kind of deal the Chargers are willing to do.

Does it mean he can just tell teams that he'd like to play for them, and then hope that team calls the Chargers?

 

I believe his agent will put out feelers to teams and see who is interested. If a team is interested, his agent could facilitate a call between the interested team and the Chargers. Only then could the asking price be discussed. I think the Chargers aren't going to waste their time being proactive but that falls on Gordon's camp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SGagne said:

 

I believe his agent will put out feelers to teams and see who is interested. If a team is interested, his agent could facilitate a call between the interested team and the Chargers. Only then could the asking price be discussed. I think the Chargers aren't going to waste their time being proactive but that falls on Gordon's camp. 

 

Makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is there any market for Melvin right now? 

 

It takes a perfect storm for him to get traded. You need a team with cap space first. Then they need to have a hole at RB. Then they need to feel that Melvin puts them over the top. Then they need to be comfortable giving up assets to get him. 

 

I dont see it. Melvin won’t play this year if it’s not in a Chargers uniform. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

 not true.  They would likely receive a third or fourth round compensatory pick. 

 

You're right. I still think they franchise him. Pitt franchised Bell. 

This was not they year for him to do this. Franchise year was. Teams will take a stand, or everyone is going to start sitting thinking they can just get out of their contract. 

It's a very interesting time in football as far as the contract side of things is concerned.

But I'm not sure any of it is going to happen. I could be wrong. I certainly hope I am and the end result is he is on the field by week 2 paying off my mid-late round gamble on him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Experienced Rookie said:

How is there any market for Melvin right now? 

 

It takes a perfect storm for him to get traded. You need a team with cap space first. Then they need to have a hole at RB. Then they need to feel that Melvin puts them over the top. Then they need to be comfortable giving up assets to get him. 

 

I dont see it. Melvin won’t play this year if it’s not in a Chargers uniform. 

 

This I definitely agree with. I don't see a trade market for him and the Chargers know it. I honestly think (and hope) he sits a game or two, bends but gets the original contract offer and signs it. Says he never wanted to leave the Chargers, it's home, blah blah. Then kills it (except against the Chiefs haha).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if this has been asked, but is Gordon's $10 offer still standing?  I thought the Chargers came out and said they weren't going to renegotiate the extension this year anymore.  That sounded to me like they are telling Gordon to play for them or get fined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Experienced Rookie said:

How is there any market for Melvin right now? 

 

It takes a perfect storm for him to get traded. You need a team with cap space first. Then they need to have a hole at RB. Then they need to feel that Melvin puts them over the top. Then they need to be comfortable giving up assets to get him. 

 

I dont see it. Melvin won’t play this year if it’s not in a Chargers uniform. 

Dolphins and Texans could each use an RB and have plenty of cap space to do it.  Dolphins are in rebuild mode so I don't see it there.  I think if Houston's run game is abysmal that is a possible landing spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brownsfan74 said:

Sorry if this has been asked, but is Gordon's $10 offer still standing?  I thought the Chargers came out and said they weren't going to renegotiate the extension this year anymore.  That sounded to me like they are telling Gordon to play for them or get fined.

 

They said contract negotiations are done until next year. If they made an offer to him and he decides to accept their offer (not negotiate for more) I really doubt they don't get it done.

I don't think the Chargers want to move on from him. They wouldn't have offered him $10m if they did. They just don't want to overpay to keep him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

Sorry if this has been asked, but is Gordon's $10 offer still standing?  I thought the Chargers came out and said they weren't going to renegotiate the extension this year anymore.  That sounded to me like they are telling Gordon to play for them or get fined.

 

I believe they rescinded all existing offers, and said if he wants to come back its under the existing contract of $5M for 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oban14 said:

Dolphins and Texans could each use an RB and have plenty of cap space to do it.  Dolphins are in rebuild mode so I don't see it there.  I think if Houston's run game is abysmal that is a possible landing spot.

 

I know the Texans at least have Watson coming up to get paid. Their cap for this year is currently high. But you'd have to look at their entire cap picture over the next few years to see if Gordon's deal would make sense. They could front load a bit with this year's cap I just don't know what following years hold, but I think they are going to roll with Hyde and use that money elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

 

I believe they rescinded all existing offers, and said if he wants to come back its under the existing contract of $5M for 2019.

 

This is true. They didn't exactly say rescind but they did say he'd be playing on his 5th year. Same thing.

I doubt that holds true if he wants to take the offer they originally proposed. GMs say a lot of things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tschwicht said:

 

This is true. They didn't exactly say rescind but they did say he'd be playing on his 5th year. Same thing.

I doubt that holds true if he wants to take the offer they originally proposed. GMs say a lot of things.

 

They also said they would no longer discuss a contract with him until after the season.  They made a major power move on him.  At least he's keeping his sense of humor on Twitter, but I feel bad for him and how badly he's been advised by his Agency on this whole thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tschwicht said:

 

This is true. They didn't exactly say rescind but they did say he'd be playing on his 5th year. Same thing.

I doubt that holds true if he wants to take the offer they originally proposed. GMs say a lot of things.

Agree with this.    I think they would find it in their hearts to give him the 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:
3 minutes ago, tschwicht said:

 

This is true. They didn't exactly say rescind but they did say he'd be playing on his 5th year. Same thing.

I doubt that holds true if he wants to take the offer they originally proposed. GMs say a lot of things.

Agree with this.    I think they would find it in their hearts to give him the 10

 

Yeah, but he'd have to swallow a whole lot of pride to take that $10 million offer now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Agree with this.    I think they would find it in their hearts to give him the 10

 

One would hope but it doesn’t sound like the Chargers are going to budge. 

“When, or if, Melvin reports,” Telesco said, “he’ll play under his current contract and then we’ll just revisit it after the season.”

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

 

Yeah, but he'd have to swallow a whole lot of pride to take that $10 million offer now.

 

He’ll have to beg cause there is no offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tschwicht said:

 

I think you severely underestimate how stubborn the Chargers' front office is.

And what they would be saying is you aren't going to, as our first round pick, make us lose a year of your contract and then let you go freely to some other team without compensation. They aren't saying "you aren't playing anywhere if you aren't willing to play for us under our terms". They are saying you aren't skipping out a year of your contract and then playing somewhere else without us being compensated.

This is turning into a player vs. front office battle, and the front office will move on with a full bank account. Gordon won't. He's simply not in the same position. 

And to add to that, comparisons to Bell are ridiculous. Bell was more than proven as the TOP RB in the league. Gordon is on a rookie contract, has an injury history, and hasn't led the league ever. This is not the same situation and Gordon has neither the leverage (this year was not the time to sit out), nor the resume to do what he's doing and think it is going to turn out well.

I'm sure he's finding this out now while pursuing trades.

 

Bell was surely a better player but lets not ignore that he had issues as well.  Past injury issues, a historic usage rate and mutiple suspensions.  He was also coming off a year where he looked more like a DT than a RB after a year of partying in South Beath.  I don't think it's that ridiculous.   The situation is differant because Gordon will have to come back to accrue that 5th season but I don't see why LA would want to continue the distraction by franchising a guy who just sat out 10 weeks.

As a Gordon owner in my main league I'd love to see him back but I see no upside for him to come back.  He's got nothing to gain by coming back before week 10.  He's gonna look bad no matter what happens.  No sense in risking injury for a franchise who wants to pay him more like Jerrick Mckinnon than a pro bowl caliber RB.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Asian Sensation said:

 

One would hope but it doesn’t sound like the Chargers are going to budge. 

“When, or if, Melvin reports,” Telesco said, “he’ll play under his current contract and then we’ll just revisit it after the season.”

 

 

 

 

That is a GM who doesn't put up with any crap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Asian Sensation said:

 

He’ll have to beg cause there is no offer. 

He can just fire his agent and tell the Chargers it was his agents fault the entire time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.