Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

Would be awesome if he could land in Green Bay.  A 2nd and a swapping 5th/6th should do it given their offers to him

2 minutes ago, ponza88 said:

Some clubs can be vindictive and ask for an insane amount, so technically he's available... but not really.

Hopefully it's like what you say, a starting point in negotiations.

Yeah it could be like you said, that the Chargers don't actually want a deal so they are asking for something intentionally absurd.

But, I don't see what outcome they hope for in that case. For Gordon to come back and accept the $10 million with the Chargers? It seems like that ship has sailed. 

If they aren't willing to up their offer, they need to do a deal. Which is why I think they are indeed serious about doing a deal. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

Quote From https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/03/chargers-are-looking-for-a-first-rounder-plus-for-melvin-gordon/:

"If the Chargers value him as a guy who is worth a one and a five, that value should be reflected in their offers to Gordon. Conversely, if the Chargers view Gordon as a guy worth something like $10 million per year, they shouldn’t want a first-round pick, and more, from a team that also would have to pay him."

I mean they can simultaneously think that some team believes he's worth what they are asking and also not offer him the contract he wants.

Edited by TheDoctor
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CrastersCreep said:

Out all year? No way

Last year nobody would think Bell would be. I was told he will be back week one. He will be back week six. He has to come back before week ten. And it never happened. He was porking more chicks in his off season than them gd slaughters for Chick-fil-A. 

Just now, PizzaBeerFF said:

Last year nobody would think Bell would be. I was told he will be back week one. He will be back week six. He has to come back before week ten. And it never happened. He was porking more chicks in his off season than them gd slaughters for Chick-fil-A. 

It’s a much different situation than Bell. He has to report by week 10. It has been covered extensively in this thread if you want to see for yourself. 

Except Bell wasn't under contract and never signed his franchise tag tender. This is completely different. Gordon needs this year to toll in order to hit FA or be tagged by the Chargers. By not playing he is effectively in NFL purgatory.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

A lot of people thought Bell would be out most of the year... me included. Bell is a F'IN Diva... like his other PIT teammate, AB.

Edited by ponza88

8 minutes ago, marlin said:

Would be awesome if he could land in Green Bay.  A 2nd and a swapping 5th/6th should do it given their offers to him

Why would Green Bay want him with Jones, Williams and Williams? 

Edited by Rosenburger

8 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

It will not be Philly - will people stop linking them. Diehard eagles fan here. They just traded up in the 2nd round for a RB they absolutely love who has had glowing reports all offseason and sent a 6th for Jordan Howard. They will not be giving up additional draft capital and doling out a large contract (as much as I’d love for that to happen as Gordon owner).

Gotta admit...Philly loves collecting RBs.

10 minutes ago, Newtown said:

Might be Philly or Washington. I can see Howie Roseman or Dan Snyder making a splash. 

Miami could get something done. 

So lets do the math, he is supposed to make a total of 5 million , every week he sits out he doesnt make 330K and is also fined 280K (40K/day if i am right?). Basically losing 600K per week. By week 10 he is going to be 2.8 million in the red with a potential earning of 1.8 million , effectively he will be playing 6 games for -$1,000,000.

After looking at those numbers, I am pretty sure he is not sitting out the year. He is also not going to get a max contract next year, he just doesnt have the resume. He needed another good year and it would have made sense maybe. However, given the math, i think he is back the latest week 4. 

Edited by screaming_vultures

2 minutes ago, Corey In Da House said:

Miami could get something done. 

They could but they’re fully committed to tanking - I don’t see it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rosenburger said:

Why would Green Bay want him with Jones, Williams and Williams? 

Because Aaron Jones can’t hold up the entire season, Jamal Williams is JAG.  Melvin Gordon would fit the offense perfectly and it would be great to see him in open space.  Would be an instant fan favorite coming back in state.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Newtown said:

Gotta admit...Philly loves collecting RBs.

Yes but they’re not about to spend more draft capital and hand out a huge contract with guaranteed money to a position of strength where they have great depth. They just released their leading rusher from last year which should tell you how deep they are at RB. I’d love nothing more then him

to get traded but it won’t be the Eagles.

I think that Tampa Bay would be the perfect landing spot for Gordon.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

So lets do the math, he is supposed to make a total of 5 million , every week he sits out he doesnt make 330K and is also fined 280K (40K/day if i am right?). Basically losing 600K per week. By week 10 he is going to be 2.8 million in the red with a potential earning of 1.8 million , effectively he will be playing 6 games for -$1,000,000.

After looking at those numbers, I am pretty sure he is not sitting out the year. He is also not going to get a max contract next year, he just doesnt have the resume. He needed another good year and it would have made sense maybe. However, given the math, i think he is back the latest week 4. 

Do this math, sees two peers making fifteen million with much guaranteed. Hmm... rest, be fresh, and kill it. Why would you know you can get near fifteen million and settle for less than ten? 

Oh, I know, because we need him on our fantasy teams. Please. 

2 minutes ago, marlin said:

Because Aaron Jones can’t hold up the entire season, Jamal Williams is JAG.  Melvin Gordon would fit the offense perfectly and it would be great to see him in open space.  Would be an instant fan favorite coming back in state.   

They won’t want to tie up all that cap space on Gordon with what he is going to get on his contract. 

Do this math, sees two peers making fifteen million with much guaranteed. Hmm... rest, be fresh, and kill it. Why would you know you can get near fifteen million and settle for less than ten? 

Oh, I know, because we need him on our fantasy teams. Please. 

I don't think you understand if he doesn't play this year he doesn't get any closer to a new contract.

Just now, TheDoctor said:

I don't think you understand if he doesn't play this year he doesn't get any closer to a new contract.

Explain.

2 minutes ago, CrastersCreep said:

Yes but they’re not about to spend more draft capital and hand out a huge contract with guaranteed money to a position of strength where they have great depth. They just released their leading rusher from last year which should tell you how deep they are at RB. I’d love nothing more then him

to get traded but it won’t be the Eagles.

Well until someone actually names a team, it's probably just the agent drumming up interest for his client.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Explain.

This season won’t count towards his contract, the year will just slide

Edited by Rosenburger

1 minute ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

Explain.

The contract does not roll.  He starts over in the same spot next year.  The chargers own his rights for year five. If he does not show, he does not get credit and we reboot a year later.

30 minutes ago, PackerBacker555 said:

Tampa won’t be the team. They have no cap space whatsoever but new regime could get creative 

Teams I see as potential: Niners, eagles, colts, packers

Thing with TB is he doesnt even make them a contender. Sure they dont have a RB but why would they invest draft capital when a RB wont make them a contender. Whoever trades for MG3 is a team that wants to add a player to push them over the edge. Packers/Eagles/Texans(if they want to go all in) all make some since. Colts if they had Luck still but no Luck. 49ers I can see looking into him.