Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

3 hours ago, brosephd said:

would you guys trade for him as buy low, and what would you guys prefer in return for equal value for gordon? looks like he's a good chip to have week 10 going forward and anything before 10 is a bonus.

I'd love to trade for him but I think everybody who has him invested so much in him they won't take a reasonable trade at the present time. I bet his owners (including me if I was one) are going to have to hurt a bit before they trade him. So likely most teams with Gordon won't be that good and will trade him to one of the better teams in the league at a steep discount after weeks 4 or 5ish and then they hit the gold mine when he comes back and get even better.'

But that was my plan last year with Bell and got bit so who knows.

2 hours ago, marlin said:

Well Zeke got his deal.  Chargers should just let Melvin go if they aren’t going to pay him because Gordon has always been a class act to the organization.  I’m not sure why anyone would want to be a Charger after how they are treating him.  What a terrible franchise 

Any franchise that just lets good players go because they were a nice guy will fail. Melvin signed a contract. He is bound to those terms just like the Chargers would be if they gave him a bunch of guaranteed money right now and he gets injured on his first play back. 

I just watched Eric Berry make like $30 million the past 3 years to play in about 5 games. The Chiefs organization supported him through his battle with cancer and then resigned him again to be the highest paid safety in the league. They were a class act. Should he have just said "keep the $16 million you're going to pay me the next 2 years while I sit out or play for another team, you were a class act paying me $30 million the past three years for nothing"? That's not how it works.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marlin said:

Well Zeke got his deal.  Chargers should just let Melvin go if they aren’t going to pay him because Gordon has always been a class act to the organization.  I’m not sure why anyone would want to be a Charger after how they are treating him.  What a terrible franchise 

It's the NFL.

If being a class act got you paid half the NFL would be out of the league. This isn't how businesses operate. You being a "good guy" doesn't mean jack s--- if you don't produce.

Conversely if you produce, you easily look the other way (see Hill or Zeke). 

Edited by TheDoctor

6 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

It's the NFL.

If being a class act got you paid half the NFL would be out of the league. This isn't how businesses operate. You being a "good guy" doesn't mean jack s--- if you don't produce.

Conversely if you produce, you easily look the other way (see Hill or Zeke). 

Im not a Gordon fan, but you can’t say he didn’t produce when on the field last year.  He was on pace for over 1800 total yards and almost 19 TD

2 hours ago, Jeffaolson said:

I'm not a Gordon fan, but you can’t say he didn’t produce when on the field last year.  He was on pace for over 1800 total yards and almost 19 TD

The key is in bold.

6 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

Just for point of reference yesterday, I traded for Gordon (12 team, non PPR) and gave up Antonio Brown and Big Ben. 

Why would you do that. That's really bad

• Haha 2

"According to MMQB's Albert Breer, the Eagles offered Jordan Howard and a swap of mid-round pick to the Chargers in exchange for holdout Melvin Gordon."

FOOLS GOLD

Edited by GoalineD
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

I hope it works out for you. 

I would make that deal for sure, considering it's a dynasty league. I probably wouldn't outside of that context. This year Gordon will play at some point. Depending on team structure may be valuable if you have a strong team. But beyond this year he's still a good buy and I doubt the Chargers will franchise him.

Edited by FitzMagic

1 minute ago, bigmarc27 said:

Just for point of reference. I traded for Gordon (12 team, non PPR) and gave up Antonio Brown and Big Ben. 

Wow, as a keeper/dynasty owner the best offer I received is a 7th round (which is really a 4th after our keepers count for the first 3 rounds).  I decided to hold in hopes that something works out long term. Having said that I do not like the fact that I kept Gordon.  Here is where I'm at with this - I want this to work out where Gordon gets back on the field with the Chargers.  We know he fits well in their system and that he gets first opportunity in the red zone to score TDs (both running and catching).  If he goes to another team that doesn't necessarily happen.

1) I don't see the Chargers budging from their $10M offer. They feel it is fair for his services and to be honest it is more than fair.

2) As much as the Chargers like Gordon he is an injury concern, especially long term with his knee(s).

3) Charges have two good RBs they can rotate through in a committee in Ekeler and Jackson.  As much as this hurts to say, I think the Chargers running game will be perfectly fine. I do not believe Ekeler can be a full-time 3-down back but Jackson can take over a bunch of the carries.  Jackson/Ekeler could be a poor mans Ingram/Kamara if the cards are played right.The more touches Jackson gets it keeps Ekeler fresh and effective.

4) Chargers have enough weapons to keep that offense going and will be fine without Gordon and they know it. I do believe they wish Gordon would have signed for $10M but they will go to battle with the guys who want to be there (and the guys who will honor their contracts).

5) With trade talks happening (even if its not positive) indicates to me that Gordon isn't planning to report anytime soon. Chargers are expecting too much and will never get a 1st from a team just to get the negotiating rights to Gordon. Why would a team give up a first if they don't have Gordon signed to a new contract in advance? Gordon can hold out with the new team.

This is ugly and the longer it goes the more separated he will get from the team.  Gordon is under contract and is expected to be there for week 1.  Zeke signed and is ready to roll. All will be rejoicing in Cowboy land that their star RB is back.  Meanwhile in Charger land the division grows - just wait until one or two teammates speak out negatively on this. There is always one or two loud mouths that can't keep their mouth shut.... It will further divide the two sides and potentially push Gordon to not want to come back.

Chargers are being unrealistic in their trade requests and Gordon is being unrealistic in his $ expectations.

• Thanks 1

At this point, I think the smartest thing for him and the Chargers to do is have him come back late in the season. He'll be fresh and can show out well for his next team while potentially helping the Chargers advance to the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, m_cox22 said:

At this point, I think the smartest thing for him and the Chargers to do is have him come back late in the season. He'll be fresh and can show out well for his next team while potentially helping the Chargers advance to the playoffs.

He's already showed out for his next team, he has nothing left to prove imo... this scenario has nothing but upside for the Chargers and nothing but downside for Melvin.

I can't handle 10 weeks of this endless nonsense.  Even if he is traded, he'll be on a new offense, need to get acclimated, etc.  If he's not traded, and he doesn't report until Week 10, he's not going to automatically resume his workload if two other guys have held down the fort.

I wish my drafts weren't last week, I'd have 0 shares in Melvin Gordon if they were held today.

7 minutes ago, m_cox22 said:

Its pretty clear that he doesn't want to play under his current contract. He's not going to go out and play hard after week 10 through the playoffs and risk getting hurt. He will report to the team because he has to, but I don't see it ending well.

clear that he doesn't want to play under his current contract. He's not going to go out and play hard after week 10 through the playoffs and risk getting hurt. He will report to the team because he has to, but I don't see it ending well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Prettyklever said:

clear that he doesn't want to play under his current contract. He's not going to go out and play hard after week 10 through the playoffs and risk getting hurt. He will report to the team because he has to, but I don't see it ending well.

It would do him no good to not play hard for the games he is active. What team will want to pay him after seeing that? It's really in his best interest to be playing the full season to show he can stay healthy, but that's out of the window it looks like. It would be unbelievably stupid for him to not play hard and showcase himself when he does return.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

He's already showed out for his next team, he has nothing left to prove imo... this scenario has nothing but upside for the Chargers and nothing but downside for Melvin.

Its a what have you done for me lately kind of league. He ended last year like this:

week 13-15, Injured

week 16, 12 for 41. 3.4ypc

week 17, 10 for 42. 4.2ypc

week 1 playoffs, 17 for 40. 2.4ypc

week 2 playoffs, 9 for 15. 1.7ypc

In my opinion he's better off peaking at the end of the year with my strategy rather than coming back now.

7 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

It would do him no good to not play hard for the games he is active. What team will want to pay him after seeing that? It's really in his best interest to be playing the full season to show he can stay healthy, but that's out of the window it looks like. It would be unbelievably stupid for him to not play hard and showcase himself when he does return.

I'm not confident the Chargers will want to play him. They might just put him in the press box or something. 

13 minutes ago, m_cox22 said:

Its a what have you done for me lately kind of league. He ended last year like this:

week 13-15, Injured

week 16, 12 for 41. 3.4ypc

week 17, 10 for 42. 4.2ypc

week 1 playoffs, 17 for 40. 2.4ypc

week 2 playoffs, 9 for 15. 1.7ypc

In my opinion he's better off peaking at the end of the year with my strategy rather than coming back now.

I know what you are trying to say but you left off his receptions and the 3TDs he scored in those games.  Also, if you have owned Gordon in the past you know he's never been a big YPC guy.  Don't cherry pick.

In fantasy he scores TDs and is a back that can catch passes. He isn't a top 5RB and wasn't drafted as one. But he scores you fantasy points when he plays as he can accrue points, rushing, receiving and scoring TDs.  He can get you ~1000 yards rushing, 50 catches for 450-500yards and a total of about 15 TDs.  Solid numbers for fantasy purposes.

23 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

this  👆 

If you’re betting on yourself in FA- you better put something great on film for whatever time you’re there.  

3 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

I know what you are trying to say but you left off his receptions and the 3TDs he scored in those games.  Also, if you have owned Gordon in the past you know he's never been a big YPC guy.  Don't cherry pick.

In fantasy he scores TDs and is a back that can catch passes. He isn't a top 5RB and wasn't drafted as one. But he scores you fantasy points when he plays as he can accrue points, rushing, receiving and scoring TDs.  He can get you ~1000 yards rushing, 50 catches for 450-500yards and a total of about 15 TDs.  Solid numbers for fantasy purposes.

He was also coming of a sprained knee that may or may not have been fully healed.  He was on track to make the All-Pro team had the Chargers not buffoonishly decided to give him an end-around while up 21 points in the 2nd half, in Oakland territory.  Gordon was awesome last year, and his injury was flukey.  I just wish he tried to earn a big payday by doing it for 16 games instead of this route.

Just now, Impreza178 said:

this  👆 

If you’re betting on yourself in FA- you better put something great on film for whatever time you’re there.  

Leveon didnt put anything on film at all lolol