Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, Panthor said:

he is getting used the minute he sets foot back on that field,

Yep. If I were him I’d never play another down for the chargers. Not worth it with their scheme and how terrible of a franchise they are.  Rather play my $5M out at another clubs team

Edited by marlin

11 minutes ago, marlin said:

Yep. If I were him I’d never play another down for the chargers. Not worth it with their scheme and how terrible of a franchise they are.  Rather play my $5M out at another clubs team

How? He has to report in week 10 if he wants to become a free agent and play for that other team...

7 hours ago, Big Nate said:

I understand your angle and you are cherry picking. It's fine if that is what you want to do. We play fantasy for points and MGIII puts points on fantasy board playing for the chargers and he scores TDs for them.  Moreover, if these are his worst games of the year, playing on a sore ankle then maybe that isn't a true painting of his fantasy value.

I never said he was an elite back and I have argued that he can be an injury problem at times. Having said that he's drafted as a top 8-10 RB for a reason and that is he puts fantasy points on the board.  The Chargers see value in him as well, and that is $10M per. ps - TDs count for 6 fantasy points.... most people play in PPR and each catch gives a point. 3 catches in a game is 3 more points.

You’re getting too far away from my original point. All I said was, he didn’t finish the end of the year very well and I gave stats from weeks 13 on to prove that. Whatever the circumstances I don’t think the chargers or the rest of the league have a very good taste in their mouth when it comes to his durability. It would do him good to come back and prove otherwise.

I know he can ball out, he’s been a hell of a player in real life and fantasy, not disagreeing with you at all on that.

Edited by m_cox22

48 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

How? He has to report in week 10 if he wants to become a free agent and play for that other team...

Another team will offer and 2nd or 3rd round pick during the year especially if he only has $3M left on contract and they are in win now mode. Win-win-win for everyone involved

6 hours ago, Prettyklever said:

Everyones so focused on what the chargers want in return but....I don't think anyone wants to pay him 13M/Year tbh. 

Problem is that he's overrating his worth.

I think a few teams would pay him right away once the chargers lower that asking price. 

1 hour ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

I think a few teams would pay him right away once the chargers lower that asking price. 

Doubt it. The only offer heard of is Jordan Howard + Salary dump to the Chargers for Gordon.. No one has even offered a second yet to see if the Chargers will take it. While negotiating you always start with the most you can get, in this case the Chargers are asking for a first and a fifth but doesn't mean they won't bend.

1 hour ago, Athebaby7 said:

Anyone else thinking of dealing Gordon? What kinda players would you be targeting if so?

I just traded for Gordon in exchange for two bench receivers. Pretty stoked since it’s very low risk with what I gave up. At this point, I doubt you’d get anything substantial for him. 

1 hour ago, akooreman180 said:

I just traded for Gordon in exchange for two bench receivers. Pretty stoked since it’s very low risk with what I gave up. At this point, I doubt you’d get anything substantial for him. 

That person is crazy. You should never trade someone at their lowest value possible and his could almost never get lower than right now really. You’ve got to hold at this point and just hope. And maybe try to trade for Jackson in the meantime.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

That person is crazy. You should never trade someone at their lowest value possible and his could almost never get lower than right now really. You’ve got to hold at this point and just hope. And maybe try to trade for Jackson in the meantime.

Agreed, really happy with how cheap I was able to get Gordon. In the meantime I’ve got DJ, Fournette, and Aaron Jones so I can afford to just stash him on my bench. If he comes back, I’m hoping to trade him for a good WR before he even steps on the field. 

2 hours ago, akooreman180 said:

Agreed, really happy with how cheap I was able to get Gordon. In the meantime I’ve got DJ, Fournette, and Aaron Jones so I can afford to just stash him on my bench. If he comes back, I’m hoping to trade him for a good WR before he even steps on the field. 

If you have an IR spot, see if you can stash him there.  I'm able to in Yahoo and Fantrax.

• Like 1

Well, I ended up with Gordon again this year.  Paid $10 for him in my auction draft after I spent all my money on four players and didn't have enough left for someone with as much potential as MGIII.  Hopefully, MGIII will get traded or come back before week 10.  

So i jokingly offered Melvin Gordon for Jamaal Williams and the owner turned it down lol. The funny thing is that he’s a Chargers fan

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MrPositive said:

CSB I guess but got an unsolicited offer of MG3 for Calvin Ridley and some other random WR5/6 type a couple days ago.  People seemed to have learned a lesson from Bell last year to not hold onto guys in situations where it's unclear when and even if they'll report.  If you need help at any skill position on your roster (like your WR2 is weak, etc.) then you're better off flipping MG3 for that missing piece and finding your Gordon replacement later.  "I'll hold onto him so I'll get a boost for the playoffs" only works if you make the playoffs and have a roster solid enough to hold him as dead weight for the time being. 

6 minutes ago, HTXMade said:

So i jokingly offered Melvin Gordon for Jamaal Williams and the owner turned it down lol. The funny thing is that he’s a Chargers fan

Chargers fans will be even less likely to take MG, since they know the organization and the fact that MG is totally screwed at this point.

How is Gordon not learning from Leveon Bell last year? A $10M a year contract is apparently top 5 for RB’s. Lev Bell misses all of last season’s pay and did not cash in with a massive record breaking payday like he was expecting. He got $13M a year for 4 years. If that’s what Gordon hypothetically were to get next year, you can subtract the $5.8M plus fines that he loses this year making his $10M offer nearly a wash. And he’d get to stay on a contender and not have to get his payday by going to a bottom feeder like Lev had to because there was no market among quality teams. This can only end up with him getting similar offers next year and having to go to a team like the Bucs or a situation like Philly where he’s sharing the load with another quality back making him now an afterthought among his former peers of top RB’s. 

a lot may change if their run game struggles or worse if they lose a couple of these early games that they are supposed to win. for now, hoping ESPN allows for IR stashing (as they did last year with bell)

2 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

How is Gordon not learning from Leveon Bell last year? A $10M a year contract is apparently top 5 for RB’s. Lev Bell misses all of last season’s pay and did not cash in with a massive record breaking payday like he was expecting. He got $13M a year for 4 years. If that’s what Gordon hypothetically were to get next year, you can subtract the $5.8M plus fines that he loses this year making his $10M offer nearly a wash. And he’d get to stay on a contender and not have to get his payday by going to a bottom feeder like Lev had to because there was no market among quality teams. This can only end up with him getting similar offers next year and having to go to a team like the Bucs or a situation like Philly where he’s sharing the load with another quality back making him now an afterthought among his former peers of top RB’s. 

you conveniently ignore guaranteed money in your post... melvin sits most of this year to reduce risk of injury... then nex tyear they wont tag him... they'll let him sign elsewhere because the chargers would get a 3rd round comp pick out of it. melvin gets $20M plus guarenteed.

Edited by boredster

3 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

These guys don't care about what their base salary is every year, they care about how much guaranteed money their contract is.  If they don't get the guaranteed money and they are injured the first game, they don't get paid. Without guaranteed money it gives all of the leverage to the team and they can cut the player at any time. Guaranteed money means the player knows no matter what, I'm getting $XX signing this contract. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Yup, and that's if someone pays him $13 million a year.  If he was offered $10m per he should take it imo.  Better to have that coin right now when healthy, than to risk injury and hope you get more next year.  Especially when you've had a bit of an injury history already in your career.

51 minutes ago, SGagne said:

These guys don't care about what their base salary is every year, they care about how much guaranteed money their contract is.  If they don't get the guaranteed money and they are injured the first game, they don't get paid. Without guaranteed money it gives all of the leverage to the team and they can cut the player at any time. Guaranteed money means the player knows no matter what, I'm getting $XX signing this contract. 

This seems to be escaping many folks.  10M with no guarantees in the future means he gets not a penny more for his career if badly injured this season.  

One would have to imagine that guaranteeing him twice that over 3 years would be far more enticing for Gordon.     Even if it’s less than 10-11M AAV.  

3 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

This seems to be escaping many folks.  10M with no guarantees in the future means he gets not a penny more for his career if badly injured this season.  

One would have to imagine that guaranteeing him twice that over 3 years would be far more enticing for Gordon.     Even if it’s less than 10-11M AAV.  

Do we even know the years or guaranteed amount that LAC offered? I think that’s as much an assumption on everyone else’s part as what I’m assuming.