Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, sSektor said:

Are people really considering calling McCaffrey a better talent than Gordon at RB? LOL

People are confusing fantasy stats vs real life.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Are people really considering calling McCaffrey a better talent than Gordon at RB? LOL

What does Gordon do better than CMC? 

1 minute ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Uhhh, one glaring thing is pass blocking, which CMC is notoriously bad at,

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kdko said:

People are confusing fantasy stats vs real life.

When I see Gordon play, I see an average to above average back. When I see his fantasy stats, I see a top six back. Special backs, imo, are Barkley, cmc, kaara and leveon if hes still got it (we will see soon enough).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Is this a serious question? I get hating Melvin for holding out but sheesh.

3 minutes ago, kdko said:

Uhhh, one glaring thing is pass blocking, which CMC is notoriously bad at,

Got it. Is that why he played over 90% of the offensive snaps last year? You would think if he was such a liability at it they would’ve held on to CJ Anderson. What else you got? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oban14 said:

When I see Gordon play, I see an average to above average back. When I see his fantasy stats, I see a top six back. Special backs, imo, are Barkley, cmc, kaara and leveon if hes still got it (we will see soon enough).

How much would you say you've seen him play, honestly?  Saying he's average either means you don't have a keen eye, or haven't seen him play that much.  There are very few backs the last few years that have scored as many TD's as him, he's got an incredible nose for the endzone.  Also, one of the premier pass catching workhorse backs.  He's averaged more yards per reception than Bell, and has broke off bigger runs and pass plays than him too.  Also has only 5 fewer TD's than him as a career total.  But Le'Veon bell must be leagues better than him, right?  Steelers have a notoriously good o-line, and the Chargers has always been notoriously bad.   I'd say what people like to call 'Gordons only year over 4ypc,' is his only year with a good o-line in front of him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Is this a serious question? I get hating Melvin for holding out but sheesh.

Yes, it is. Do you have any legitimate answers? 

5 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Got it. Is that why he played over 90% of the offensive snaps last year? You would think if he was such a liability at it they would’ve held on to CJ Anderson. What else you got? 

That literally has nothing to do with how he performed as a pass blocker.  He was rated THE worst RB in pass protection his rookie year, and didn't improve much last year.  Also, it looks like Gordon has averaged more YPR than McCafferey, soooo... 🤷‍♂️ . What else you got?

P.S:  Taking offensive snaps doesn't mean he's always lining up as RB.

Edited by kdko

13 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

Yes, it is. Do you have any legitimate answers? 

Rushing last season:

McCaffrey had 1098 yards in 16 games with 7 TDs and 4 fumbles behind a top 10 o-line

Melvin had 885 yards in 12 games with 10 TDs and 1 fumble behind a bottom half o-line

Also my eyes tell me Gordon is better between the tackles, as they should for basically everyone else who can manage to look past fantasy stats.

Edited by sSektor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd say MG3 is a top 10 RB not a top 5. That said if you watched him run last season or go look at the film last season compared to prior years it was 100% obv he was much improved as a runner. His cutting and vision were up another level he ran really well must of put alot of work in to get that next contract.  The injury concerns are always going to be there though. 

Would be nice to see him get shipped out to the packers or maybe the Jags when Fournette goes down IF the Chargers would lower the asking price on him. 

Edited by buzzkilloton
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Silent-Trader said:

Melvin has had ONE 1,000 yard season AND one season over 4.0 yards per carry. The dude is overrated. 

You do realize he’s been one of the league leaders in yards after contact because he’s constantly getting hit in the backfield thanks to a porous o-line? Last year was the first time in his entire career he’s had a decent o-line, and o look, over 4 yards per carry. He’s actually extremely underrated once you look past the misleading YPC. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Silent-Trader said:

Melvin has had ONE 1,000 yard season AND one season over 4.0 yards per carry. The dude is overrated. 

Watch Ekeler shine in Melvin's role.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, oban14 said:

He has to come back for six games, question is if the chargers play him or use him as much as they used to.

Is it 6? I was thinking it was at least 8. But I could be wrong. I think this is the rule that's in place relating to this.

16.                               EXTENSION.  Unless this contract specifically provides otherwise, if Player becomes a member of the Armed Forces of the United States or any other country, or retires from professional football as an active player, or otherwise fails or refuses to perform his services under this contract, then this contract will be tolled between the date of Player’s induction into the Armed Forces, or his retirement, or his failure or refusal to perform, and the later date of his return to professional football. During the period this contract is tolled, Player will not be entitled to any compensation or benefits. On Player’s return to professional football, the term of this contract will be extended for a period of time equal to the number of seasons (to the nearest multiple of one) remaining at the time the contract was tolled. The right of renewal, if any, contained in this contract will remain in effect until the end of any such extended term.

Either way how they use him when he's back definitely would be a factor. Probably depends on how the others have performed and what there record is at the time. But really hard to see limiting his touches if their in contention. Especially if he's going to walk at the end of the season. Why not overwork him if they don't have to deal with the long-term ramifications of the stress put on his body during that time?

55 minutes ago, Idoolittle said:

Is it 6? I was thinking it was at least 8. But I could be wrong. I think this is the rule that's in place relating to this.

16.                               EXTENSION.  Unless this contract specifically provides otherwise, if Player becomes a member of the Armed Forces of the United States or any other country, or retires from professional football as an active player, or otherwise fails or refuses to perform his services under this contract, then this contract will be tolled between the date of Player’s induction into the Armed Forces, or his retirement, or his failure or refusal to perform, and the later date of his return to professional football. During the period this contract is tolled, Player will not be entitled to any compensation or benefits. On Player’s return to professional football, the term of this contract will be extended for a period of time equal to the number of seasons (to the nearest multiple of one) remaining at the time the contract was tolled. The right of renewal, if any, contained in this contract will remain in effect until the end of any such extended term.

Either way how they use him when he's back definitely would be a factor. Probably depends on how the others have performed and what there record is at the time. But really hard to see limiting his touches if their in contention. Especially if he's going to walk at the end of the season. Why not overwork him if they don't have to deal with the long-term ramifications of the stress put on his body during that time?

Disgruntled employees such as Melvin Gordon are not going to give their best effort. If anything he's going to put no effort in because he wants to protect himself from getting injured.  So when he does come back I doubt they play him.

What the heck is Melvin up to? Why are there no videos of him on a jet ski, partying on a yacht or at a rap album release party? This guy can’t even hold out properly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, FouLLine said:

I believe Ekeler already had many chances to try but failed.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hoppychokes said:

Ivory had 15.8 YPR last year, so by that measurement he is a better pass catcher than CMC and Gordon.

Eh, I know this is a crappy troll job, but when I'm comparing Gordon and McCaffery they're literally within 6 career receptions of each other.

3 hours ago, FouLLine said:

13 carries for 21 yards type shine like that time he filled in?

1 hour ago, kdko said:

Eh, I know this is a crappy troll job, but when I'm comparing Gordon and McCaffery they're literally within 6 career receptions of each other.

Career wise, CMC is 8.1 YPR and Gordon is 8.7, not exactly a compelling argument. (Especially when one is averaging 90 catches and the other is in the 60s) My point was using stats without context, especially after you "troll"ingly asked if any games were watched. 

Edited by hoppychokes

2 hours ago, Asian Sensation said:

What the heck is Melvin up to? Why are there no videos of him on a jet ski, partying on a yacht or at a rap album release party? This guy can’t even hold out properly. 

don't worry, he'll have frostbite on his feet tomorrow

6 hours ago, sSektor said:

Rushing last season:

McCaffrey had 1098 yards in 16 games with 7 TDs and 4 fumbles behind a top 10 o-line

Melvin had 885 yards in 12 games with 10 TDs and 1 fumble behind a bottom half o-line

Also my eyes tell me Gordon is better between the tackles, as they should for basically everyone else who can manage to look past fantasy stats.

Putting stats aside for a second, just my personal opinion. Melvin is the better rusher (between the tackles) and GL back. Mainly because of his physical attributes . He's the bigger more powerful back. That also plays into pass blocking as well obviously. But receiving I definitely give the edge to CMC , hes electric and a very special player in open space. Shifty as hell, very hard to catch him. And amazing hands catching the ball, I mean some of those grabs he makes jumping in the air snatching the ball , for his size it’s something. I still think overall CMC is the better talent, barely starting his 3rd year in the league. And by all accounts he’s still a hell of a rusher. Pass blocking only knock against him, he can improve on that. But doubt he will be very good at it if ever in his career. 

Now let's find some stats to help us argue that Melvin is better than Saquon Barkley, Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, and Gayle Sayers.

• Like 1