Rotoworld.com Forums

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

Support of Jackson, mostly.

The broader point is that the jury should still be out on him. I'm certainly not anointing him the next Barry Sanders, but to say he's trash because of his ypc in a couple of randomly selected games where he got a handful of carries is disingenuous, at best. 

Except it's more than a "couple" of games, it's most of them, and he mostly sucked near as I can tell regardless of how many carries he got. I agree that the jury is out though, still way too small of a sample size. 

Bottom line I won't be rushing to draft either of the backups if Gordon doesn't play. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My map of Southern California.

It's important to note that both Gordon and Zeke are still under contract (unlike when Bell held out), so they have to play this year (or retire).  If they don't play, they will still have the same am

Melvin had a few good runs here or there but Austin Ek would have done the same if not MORE on those same runs. Austin only got 8 touches and still managed to find the end zone. austin + targets

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, bomont said:

Except it's more than a "couple" of games, it's most of them, and he mostly sucked near as I can tell regardless of how many carries he got. I agree that the jury is out though, still way too small of a sample size. 

Bottom line I won't be rushing to draft either of the backups if Gordon doesn't play. 

Not really true. 

He played 5 games in which he got more than 3 carries.

7 for 57.

8 for 63 and a TD. 

7 for 12.

16 for 58 and a TD. 

6 for 10. 

So, in meaningful games, he had 44 carries for 200 yards and 2 TDs. He also had 13 receptions. Nothing about that "mostly sucked". 

On 7/12/2019 at 1:51 PM, sjm76 said:

There is always a chance that Gordon sits out the season like Le'Veon Bell last year but I think it's more likely he'll either sign before the season starts or be traded and SD will get a starting caliber rb in return along with a draft pick(s).

Just thinking about it, I think that Tampa Bay wouldn't be a bad landing spot for Gordon and SD could likely get a couple of high picks and either Peyton Barber or Ronald Jones in return.

the bell situation was entirely different, bell was on looking at multiple tags at that point and it had gotten personal.  gordon's hold out will probably follow the more typical route that holdouts do and he will be back and in uniform toward the end of preseason or just after the start of the season.  LAC is a super bowl contender and they still trying to get a foothold in LA. 

• Like 1
On 7/23/2019 at 12:51 PM, Panthor said:

LAC is a super bowl contender and they still trying to get a foothold in LA. 

this.  

I have no idea how this is going to play out and it is really terrible because I have been a Gordon drafter the past two seasons on multiple teams.  He has been extraordinary.  This might be the year I look elsewhere.  Maybe WR in the first round.  😨

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

This guy won’t really hold out right? I’ll be shocked. Not much leverage, this really isn’t the same as bell at all. 

What sets it outrageously apart?

melvin has 1700 less rush yds on about 350 less carries. He’s a pretty solid bell cow, always healthy? No but him and bell are on par with that as well. 

4 hours ago, HarambeLives said:

What sets it outrageously apart?

melvin has 1700 less rush yds on about 350 less carries. He’s a pretty solid bell cow, always healthy? No but him and bell are on par with that as well. 

Bell was on the franchise tag he hasn’t signed. Gordon is under contract. 

19 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Bell was on the franchise tag he hasn’t signed. Gordon is under contract. 

Yes but it’s his rookie deal, do you think they’re not gonna franchise tag him once his rookie contract is up, like what happened to Bell?

31 minutes ago, HarambeLives said:

Yes but it’s his rookie deal, do you think they’re not gonna franchise tag him once his rookie contract is up, like what happened to Bell?

Yes but the chargers can fine him every single day right now. Through out the season. If he doesn’t show up at all, his contract will roll to next season and he will spend another year under contract. So if he sits out the entire season what happens? He loses money, doesn’t get paid, and won’t be a free agent. Bell was under the tag and knew if he sat out and they tried to tag him again it would be at some wild number they would never do. Gordon doesn’t have that leverage. He’s under contract. 

• Like 1

I took Jeremy Cox earlier this week, as an absolute stonewall deepest of flyers.

Be interested to see if he starts to get any sort of look in at camp if Gordon's absence becomes increasingly protracted.

Yeah, I'll probably be dropping him in a couple of weeks...

10 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

Yes but the chargers can fine him every single day right now. Through out the season. If he doesn’t show up at all, his contract will roll to next season and he will spend another year under contract. So if he sits out the entire season what happens? He loses money, doesn’t get paid, and won’t be a free agent. Bell was under the tag and knew if he sat out and they tried to tag him again it would be at some wild number they would never do. Gordon doesn’t have that leverage. He’s under contract. 

At this point it seems like he’ll take the longevity of his career and the great possibility that a team will pay him a better salary over losing money this year. 

1 hour ago, HarambeLives said:

At this point it seems like he’ll take the longevity of his career and the great possibility that a team will pay him a better salary over losing money this year. 

Yes.... but if he sits out the season, he is still under contract with the chargers. As in no other team will be able to pay him a better salary, because he will still be under contract. 

Edited by Ryansm11
1 hour ago, Ryansm11 said:

Yes.... but if he sits out the season, he is still under contract with the chargers. As in no other team will be able to pay him a better salary, because he will still be under contract. 

This is correct because the tag works differently; he will probably report at some point but nobody knows when and he might just get traded instead. It does put some pressure on chargers because they’re in win now mode. 

1 minute ago, HarambeLives said:

This is correct because the tag works differently; he will probably report at some point but nobody knows when and he might just get traded instead. It does put some pressure on chargers because they’re in win now mode. 

Yeah that’s what I’m saying. Bell knew he was basically a free man at the end of the year. Gordon absolutely would not be. He might hold out a few weeks into the regular season though, that would be annoying lol. 

5 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

Yeah that’s what I’m saying. Bell knew he was basically a free man at the end of the year. Gordon absolutely would not be. He might hold out a few weeks into the regular season though, that would be annoying lol. 

He’s just here to mess up our teams 

So, if the season started today and Gorden was still a holdout, when do you draft him? Mid rounds, late round flier? I mean, he could still end his holdout and report at any time. And he could also get traded, so there's definitely value. 

Very reminiscent of Lev Bell 2018. 

23 minutes ago, The G Man said:

So, if the season started today and Gorden was still a holdout, when do you draft him? Mid rounds, late round flier? I mean, he could still end his holdout and report at any time. And he could also get traded, so there's definitely value. 

Hoe did that end up working for bell owners?

Very dissimilar to bell really. As others have posted above, other than he is a rb that wants more $$.

This is more like vjax however many years ago, if im remembering correctly.

Edited by itslarry
1 hour ago, The G Man said:

He literally can’t sit out all year without suffering ridiculous consequences. Maybe the hold out forces a trade? But either way i don’t see how it’s possible he misses the whole year like bell did. As of right now i would take a shot in the 3rd round after i get two safe players. You can’t spend a first or second on a player who may miss a few weeks . 

8 hours ago, The G Man said:

Honestly I hope a lot doesn’t come out till after my draft whether good or bad, but yeah I’d be willing to take a shot on him in the 3rd if he was possibly still there (which I doubt) but anybody planning on making him their keeper and don’t have better options are in some trouble I’d say. 

Edited by HarambeLives