Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My map of Southern California.

It's important to note that both Gordon and Zeke are still under contract (unlike when Bell held out), so they have to play this year (or retire).  If they don't play, they will still have the same am

Melvin had a few good runs here or there but Austin Ek would have done the same if not MORE on those same runs. Austin only got 8 touches and still managed to find the end zone. austin + targets

Posted Images

1 hour ago, gufomel said:

1 hour ago, gufomel said:

2-3 doesn’t seem all that much...

2 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Chargers and holdout RB Melvin Gordon are currently $2-$3 million apart in average annual value.

This is the whole blurb:

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports the Chargers and holdout RB Melvin Gordon are currently $2-$3 million apart in average annual value.

Per Robinson, the Chargers would be comfortable bettering Devonta Freeman's five-year, $41.25 million deal, but that Gordon is hoping for something in the range of David Johnson's three years and $39 million. That does not sound like a gap that will be bridged any time soon.

1 minute ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

2-3 doesn’t seem all that much...

It is according to the person who posted the blurb. 

Thats 2-3 per year, so we’re talking $10+ million over a whole contract. That’s pretty big. 

5 hours ago, gufomel said:

It is according to the person who posted the blurb. 

Thats 2-3 per year, so we’re talking $10+ million over a whole contract. That’s pretty big. 

It seems totally solvable to me. They're negotiating, this is the main point, and where they'll end up is anybody's guess, but they're negotiating and that means there will probably be a deal.

24 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

It seems totally solvable to me. They're negotiating, this is the main point, and where they'll end up is anybody's guess, but they're negotiating and that means there will probably be a deal.

Chargers are notorious as the leagues hardest negotiators. I won't be shocked at all to see this go into the regular season. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, fruitjacket said:

Melvin Gordon is a product of a crapload of touches on a good team.  

He should be happy to get what they are offering.  That being said, the Chargers are notorious for being pricks when it comes to contracts.

He’s also undeniably the most talented back on that roster.    Ekeler was a disappointment as the lead back, and JJax is a complete unknown.   Good build but needs to put on some weight to take the pounding.   This Chargers team is built to win NOW.   Old man Rivers has a few seasons and it’s out to pasture with his 28 children.  

Its no accident this franchise had never won a championship.  There’s a time for being frugal and a time to get over the hump.   They’ve got one of the two down pat. 

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, oliminator123 said:

He's requesting a trade? Any realistic arguments this would actually happen? Or is he just fanning the flames?

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.  A good trade fit could be Tampa Bay as they could give up either Peyton Barber or Ronald Jones and a high draft pick(s) for Gordon.

1 minute ago, sjm76 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.  A good trade fit could be Tampa Bay as they could give up either Peyton Barber or Ronald Jones and a high draft pick(s) for Gordon.

I don't see a trade happening for a few reasons. 

1- The same reason the Chargers don't want to pay him will be the same reason other teams won't want to pay him. 

2- He is a very good RB but he is no leveon bell and Bell wasn't paid and few teams were interested in Bell in free agency. 

3- Many teams, including the Bucs, don't have the cap space to bring him and give him a new big deal. 

4- The chargers don't want to pay Gordon and they are in contention for the playoffs why would another team want to pay him AND give up a high draft pick? 

• Like 2

Unlike Leveon - who just refused to sign his franchised player tag, Melvin still has his last year remaining on the his contract. I know it has been reported that Zeke has a August 6th report date deadline to be able an accrue another year toward free agency. Does Melvin have any sort of deadline as well? I know they were both first round picks so I would assume the makeup of their first contracts per the CBA would be similar. 

11 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

Unlike Leveon - who just refused to sign his franchised player tag, Melvin still has his last year remaining on the his contract. I know it has been reported that Zeke has a August 6th report date deadline to be able an accrue another year toward free agency. Does Melvin have any sort of deadline as well? I know they were both first round picks so I would assume the makeup of their first contracts per the CBA would be similar. 

IIRC MG is in the 5th year of his contract and Zeke is on the 4th of his.  Either way I think both need to report to get credit for an accrued year that will move them closer to free agency.  Problem is that under current CBA, that even if MG reported and got that 5th year credit the Chargers could still franchise tag him next year and the year after that.  As we saw with the Lev Bell example, the franchise tag doesn't really become prohibitively expensive until the 3rd year.  

I know, it's turrbl.

Gordon is an idiot and not worth what he's asking. He's played a full season just once, he's cracked 1000 yds just once, he's cracked 4 YPC just once....I wouldn't pay him more either