Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

I love how everyone knows what is in Gordon’s mind. It’s really cool. Who’s other minds do you guys know?

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Mark my words: MGIII gonna ball out!

He wants that big fat contract. Maybe the initial plan is to limit him to 10-12 carries. But my guess is once he gets rolling they have no choice but giving him 15+

• Haha 2

After this week, I expect him to return the top 5 RB value he was at before the holdout talks began. Somewhere in the ballpark of Barkley, CMC, Kamara, Cook, D. Johnson.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Idoolittle said:

After this week, I expect him to return the top 5 RB value he was at before the holdout talks began. Somewhere in the ballpark of Barkley, CMC, Kamara, Cook, D. Johnson.

He had a grade 2 MCL sprain last year and didn’t look the same when he was back in weeks 16 and 17. Temper your expectations. I hope he’s back to that form too and stays healthy, I’m banking on it with the trade I made for him but I’m being realistic about it too. 

• Like 1

Coach Anthony Lynn said Friday, "I don’t want to put (Melvin Gordon) in there and play him too much, and I really don’t have to. I like what Austin Ekeler has been doing."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nosh0t said:

Coach Anthony Lynn said Friday, "I don’t want to put (Melvin Gordon) in there and play him too much, and I really don’t have to. I like what Austin Ekeler has been doing."

ESPN's Eric Williams reports the Chargers will split carries between Melvin Gordon and Austin Ekeler.

Coach Anthony Lynn stated, "Whenever (Gordon) is ready to go, he will be the No. 1 guy and get the bulk of the snaps. But obviously he's not there right now." 

Here is some more info!

Edited by Fantasy Gooroo

8 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

RB2 this week. Glad I can fire him and Ekeler up with confidence. 

You're playing both?

1 hour ago, oresteszero said:

You're playing both?

Im playing both too. I can see a scenario where they both are on the field together with Ekeler running routes out of the backfield maybe. They both have RB2 potential 

If there was ever a game to play them both this is it, as I'd expect Gordon to slowly/eventually get back to the 75/25-ish split with Ekeler he had last year aside from games they go down early. But that's after this week. This D just gave up 200+ yards on the ground alone to Fournette.

I'm starting both in a few leagues w/o hesitation.

• Like 1

Is everyone firing him up this week or holding off 1 more week? The last couple of articles got me nervous now

16 minutes ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

Is everyone firing him up this week or holding off 1 more week? The last couple of articles got me nervous now

Traded for him and releasing this beast tomorrow

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

Lynn regularly supports two RBs. I wouldn't over think it.

42 minutes ago, babyfaceassasin said:

Traded for him and releasing this beast tomorrow

Same here. Starting Ekeler too 

2 hours ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

I'm holding off on Gordon for 1 more week. I wouldn't play him unless you have limited options.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

If there was ever a game to play them both this is it, as I'd expect Gordon to slowly/eventually get back to the 75/25-ish split with Ekeler he had last year aside from games they go down early. But that's after this week. This D just gave up 200+ yards on the ground alone to Fournette.

I'm starting both in a few leagues w/o hesitation.

Ekeler had 130 touches in 14 games to Melvin's 225 in 12 games last year that gives Melvin just over a 2 to 1 on a per game basis or 2 out of 3.

With how good Ekeler has been this year (yes he's looked better than Melvin ever has) you'd have to expect Ekeler's touches to be higher than they were last year going forward.  Especially in the passing game where he's proved to be one of the most elite RBs.  

Bang Melvin between the tackles a ton keep Ekeler on the outside and for passing.  Ekeler will easily outscore Melvin this week.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

Ekeler had 130 touches in 14 games to Melvin's 225 in 12 games last year that gives Melvin just over a 2 to 1 on a per game basis or 2 out of 3.

With how good Ekeler has been this year (yes he's looked better than Melvin ever has) you'd have to expect Ekeler's touches to be higher than they were last year going forward.  Especially in the passing game where he's proved to be one of the most elite RBs.  

Bang Melvin between the tackles a ton keep Ekeler on the outside and for passing.  Ekeler will easily outscore Melvin this week.

Yeah I was just doing a rough spitball there.

You may have a point. I wouldn't say Ekeler "looked better than Melvin ever has" but he's been pretty damn close. They're completely different style of runners. 

Time will tell. The Bolts obviously aren't paying Gordon any more than they were so they could go with a hot-hand type setup. 

Owning both, I sure hope not.

Edited by SuperJoint

Gordon has the game breaking "take it to the house" speed and ability.  He's capable of an 80-yard run or catch-and-run.  Ekeler is a solid runner but has a ceiling on his yards for any given run or catch because he doesn't have game breaking speed.   

I see the carries as 60/40 for Ekeler tomorrow.  Goal line work is an unknown, but apart from one fumble, Ekeler has done a nice job in the red zone.  I think Ekeler will also get the lion's share of third down work and will also line up at receiver a handful of times.  I'm starting Ekeler.

Just now, SuperJoint said:

Yeah I was just doing a rough spitball there.

You may have a point. I wouldn't say Ekeler "looked better than Melvin ever has" but he's been pretty damn close. They're completely different style of runners. 

Time will tell. The Bolts obviously aren't paying Gordon any more than they were so they could go with a hot-hand type setup. 

Owing both, I sure hope not.

True I am probably over valuing Ekeler's game a little because it plays stronger for fantasy.  Melvin is was an absolute stud last year on a per game basis.

Going with the hot hand would be amazing but from a management standpoint it makes sense to beat on Melvin as much as you can before he leaves.  Plus Melvin doing well means another team will have to pay him more handicapping their salary.  So he's going to safely get the lion's share of snaps from week 6 on.  I just think Ekeler is still going to get a higher percent of the share compared to last year with how well he's done.

But if all the while San Diego has planned to resign Melvin and use him and Ekeler maybe it makes more sense to do more of an even time share?  Time will tell but this week Ekeler should see quite a bit more snaps from what Anthony Lynn has been saying.

• Like 1