Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

21 minutes ago, Uncle_Ruckus said:

The same people who were fear mongering over Chris Carson and hyping up Penny lmao. 

Carson actually scores

MG3 is a STUD and a BEAST...

He's just coming back from missing an entire offseason...definitely a hold ROS until he gets going!

I don't own Gordon or Ekeler (or any Chargers for that matter) anywhere this season, so I have no dog in this race; no agenda. With that I say, I wholeheartedly regret not taking Gordon in any of the multitude of opportunities I had to grab him in the 4th, 5th, 6th, and once even all the way in the 7th round, that I did. To be fair, I did have a pretty traumatic experience with Le'Veon Bell last season, so my cold feet do come with an excuse; but that's neither here nor there and not why I came to this thread -- so back to Gordon....

Yes, I'm aware he hasn't done anything of note yet. As others have mentioned, dude held out all of training camp and then continued to sit out the first 4 games of the season on top of that. He, just like any other human being, needs a minute to get into game shape. He also needs to get into rhythm and getting his timing down and all that jazz. All things he otherwise have done had he been in training camp. But he wasn't. So now all that means is, the few weeks it takes to get up to speed, instead of it occurring in training camp, it occurs in weeks 5, 6, and possibly 7 of the NFL regular season. And guess what. Weeks 5 and 6 of the regular season...they've already happened. In other words...wait, let me check...yup, looks like your table is ready. 

Furthermore, on top of having to play catch-up on the physical aspects of getting into optimal game shape, Gordon also had to contend with joining a red-hot, already rolling teammate at the same position. And further furthermore (is that a thing? "further furthermore". Pretty sure it's not. Oh well), as others  in this thread have mentioned, Gordon's also had negative game scripts to contend with on top of the aforementioned things.

In summation, for those of you worried about Melvin Gordon's ROS prospects, as Aaron Rodgers would put it...R-E-L-A-X: relaaax. In this guy's humble opinion (that guy being me), Mel-Gord gunna' to be just fine. Will he ever hit the ridiculous pace he was going at last season before he got hurt? Probably not; or at least doubtful that he does so at some sort of sustained pace this season. But a couple of those monster Melvin Gordon games of the 2018 ilk, in this 2019 season, are still reasonably within reach. And whether Gordon does or doesn't have any of those super splash performances like he had last year, you can reasonably expect some, and likely even plenty, of low-end RB1 / high-end RB2 performances from him this year.

And remember, for almost anyone who has him this year - or at least anyone who drafted him - for wherever you were able to land him, whatever he winds up giving you once he gets going, which could be any day now...I'd be shocked if he doesn't blow away the draft value production from wherever you got him. Frankly, for where you probably got him, for Gordon to produce value that's equal to or worse than the slot you landed him in....I mean he'd really have to tank. Which, if that were to happen, it means we're talking he'd have to have sustained a like month-long or more injury type of thing for that occur...and even then it'd probably have to be one of them nagging/lingering injury type of things. Like a hamstring or oblique or some s**t.

Melvin Gordon owners, you good; all is well (probably). You guys are in good shape (most likely). Don't worry, be happy (most definitely)

Damn, that was one long-a** "in summation".

Edited by Chest-Rockwell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Gordon looked like straight up trash, and the only reason he was forced opportunities was because of his name. The Chargers are going to pi$$ their season away wasting time trying to get Gordon "up to game speed."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mr.STD said:

Gordon looked like straight up trash, and the only reason he was forced opportunities was because of his name. The Chargers are going to pi$$ their season away wasting time trying to get Gordon "up to game speed."

You're right. You should drop him. 

Pick up Benny Snell instead.

And if he's available, might also behoove you to make Ito Smith #2 on your waiver queue, 

You know, in case someone beats you to the punch on Snell. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

In no way am I saying it is his fault, but Chargers are 0-2 vs. 2 not so great teams since he stepped back into the locker room 🤷🏼‍♂️

26 minutes ago, JBord25 said:

In no way am I saying it is his fault, but Chargers are 0-2 vs. 2 not so great teams since he stepped back into the locker room 🤷🏼‍♂️

Losing Pouncey certainly doesn't help as well.  Gotta feel like SD....erm LAC will figure it out and MGIII will do his best to perform as he's auditioning for 31 other teams. 

30 minutes ago, JBord25 said:

Yeah you gotta 100% blame Gordon for them going down 2 scores instantly in the 1st quarter...twice

• Like 2

Yeah Gordon sucking a** for 2 weeks in a row is being out so long/the OL's fault/the D's fault/the coachs' fault/the janitor's fault. None of it just on him. Trade the farm for him.

This guy is good but annually one of the most overrated RBs in the league. Heck Ekeler already has about as many catches in 6 games as Gordon averages in a whole year. They should have traded him this past summer.

• Like 1

I don’t think anyone really wants to hear his excuses about why he’s not performing at this point. You held out, and they called your bluff. And the team proved they were more than capable of running the ball without you. You can’t just expect them to bench Ekeler as soon as you decide to return and grace the team with your presence, especially when you’re not doing much with the touches you are getting to even make a case that that should happen. 

• Like 2

I don't care how trash Gordon looked the past two games. If they want to win they will learn to run the ball or keep losing. Chargers defense looked weak against a Steelers offense that's in shambles. There is a reason Gordon was drafted in the 1st round. He is a complete back. Chargers need to find a way to pound the rock with Gordon because Ekler is not that guy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, john00 said:

I don't care how trash Gordon looked the past two games. If they want to win they will learn to run the ball or keep losing. Chargers defense looked weak against a Steelers offense that's in shambles. There is a reason Gordon was drafted in the 1st round. He is a complete back. Chargers need to find a way to pound the rock with Gordon because Ekler is not that guy. 

Well said

32 minutes ago, john00 said:

I have to agree. You don’t win in this league with guys like Ekeler, bless his little heart (And they weren’t, even with his nice fantasy numbers). You win real games with guys like Sony Michel smashing the ball up between the tackles. And Gordon’s poor fantasy numbers have little to do with him. The team was down 14 points 2 weeks in a row within minutes and went to passing to catch up. He’ll be fine. 

Edited by MrPositive
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just traded for this guy so expect a monster game this week. 3 touchdowns against the titans. It’s his breakout game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

Well said

Not really. Being drafted in the 1st round is 100% irrelevant. 

And Gordon's "I didn't get enough carries to get into a groove" is weak as well. I do think he will do better as the season wears on and gets more carries, not saying he plain out sucks, but I maintain he's overrated, both NFL wise and fantasy wise. The thing is you can't trade for him because the Gordon owners know they can't get much right now and holding out hope for big numbers later. 

I'm just worried about Tennessee defense, they've been good this year, contained RBs like Mack, Fournette, and Freeman (did have alot of targets though in the passing game and TD).

Ekeler put up 12/42 5/26 on 7 targets last season against Ten, Gordon didn't play.

Edited by DezedandConfused

53 minutes ago, bomont said:

Not really. Being drafted in the 1st round is 100% irrelevant. 

And Gordon's "I didn't get enough carries to get into a groove" is weak as well. I do think he will do better as the season wears on and gets more carries, not saying he plain out sucks, but I maintain he's overrated, both NFL wise and fantasy wise. The thing is you can't trade for him because the Gordon owners know they can't get much right now and holding out hope for big numbers later. 

I don’t get this overrated talk. Who overrates him? Doesn’t everyone already know exactly who Melvin Gordon is? I mean, he’s been around awhile now so we have a pretty good sample and he’s been solid when healthy and on the field. Like the above poster said he is a complete back which is valuable in both fantasy and even more so in real life. 

Anybody know what MG3 value is? Been trying to buy him since he came back. [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Assistant Coach content

Their offensive line is in shambles. At least they had Mike Pouncey when Ekeler was running good early in the season. He's out now and it seems to have had a domino effect on their line. Their left guard switched to center against Pittsburgh, and they filled that guard position with a guy making his first NFL start. Both Gordon and Ekeler were getting blown up in the backfield Sunday night. NBC showed a replay of Devin Bush rushing unblocked off the edge to nail Gordon, and if Gordon could've somehow juked him, there were 2 more Steelers directly in front of him coming in for the kill. 

I don't know if this gets better short-term. Tennessee is going to be a big challenge too. I'm dealing with another sh*t offensive line with Joe Mixon on my team as well. And it sucks.