Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

99% of talk in this thread is pure garbage. As is the Chargers OL. Every year there seems to be 2 or 3 OL units around the NFL that can't run block at all. This wasn't a very good OL to begin with and then they lost all 3 interior starters ahd their decent starting LT. The RT position has been a well-known issue for a while. What the Chargers are fielding now is on par with what the Cardinals fielded in 2018. 3rd stringers (at best) going against legit NFL DL. Good luck with that! No matter to even discuss the talent of Gordon, Ekeler or whoever. On the dreaded goalline series to end the game, you could see how Gordon tried as hard as humanly possible, but their OL was just driven backwards.

Spanos ship him off to Detroit for the sake of FF!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, frog34 said:

99% of talk in this thread is pure garbage. As is the Chargers OL. Every year there seems to be 2 or 3 OL units around the NFL that can't run block at all. This wasn't a very good OL to begin with and then they lost all 3 interior starters ahd their decent starting LT. The RT position has been a well-known issue for a while. What the Chargers are fielding now is on par with what the Cardinals fielded in 2018. 3rd stringers (at best) going against legit NFL DL. Good luck with that! No matter to even discuss the talent of Gordon, Ekeler or whoever. On the dreaded goalline series to end the game, you could see how Gordon tried as hard as humanly possible, but their OL was just driven backwards.

Spanos ship him off to Detroit for the sake of FF!

lol

yea

gordon a stud. He deserves a new deal

ekeler he’s been..meh. Backup material 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

lol

yea

gordon a stud. He deserves a new deal

ekeler he’s been..meh. Backup material 

Never said that Gordon is a stud. I still believe he is a very good talent though. Just happens he is probably more reliant on solid OL play than other backs who are worse than him. Taking what the OL gives you and then some is a good quality for a RB, believe it or not. Many flashy RBs who are regarded as talented can't get what the OL blocks for them consistently, trying to bounce the big play or just not having good enough vision. That's what gets you behind the chains, which every coach and OC hates. Gordon getting consistent 4 ypc behind a below average OL for many years sounds bad, but it was actually very good for the Chargers.

Their OL totally sucks! Common phrase, but it's among the best analysis in here. We shouldn't discuss about RB talent, but OL in here. Mixon is a great talent, but his OL sucks as well. Will Okung's return, after being out of football with a career-threatening lung embolism, boost their OL at all? Pouncey is on IR and can't return for the FF season. Easily their best interior blocker and anchor of their OL. Between Feeney and Lamp, none of them were particularly good, but both of them picked up injuries and things got worse. When will they be back? Schofield sucks even more and don't even mention who plays RT for them, because RT has been a mess for years but got even worse.

If they can get their OL back on track, Gordon may still return solid RB2 numbers. It won't be for lack of opportunity as we've seen since he returned. I can't see him coming close to low RB1 numbers though, because the OL can't make a full 180 within a season. The question is, does he remain a shaky flex and therefore a bust considering expectations, or can he solidify RB2 status if the OL gets healthier?

Just now, Newtown said:

https://www.chargers.com/video/melvin-gordon-on-chargers-loss-to-titans

The kid seems very sincere and contrite. Now that he's been truly humbled and candid about his decisions, I hope he has some redemption coming this season.

he always was, which was the lone bright spot of the holdout ... no DIVA bs, no running to the social mediaz every time he farted, no slagging teammates or opponents, no crying "INJUSTICE!!!1!!!!!1!" every 5 minutes  ... a low key cat, no doubt. 

he just made a catastrophic career decision this past summer, and it's hurting big time  ... hope we can right the ship. 

• Like 2

The other thing MG had going for him was scoring TDs, both rushing and receiving. 14 and 12 TDs the past 2 years.  He was almost always in for the RZ offense. I haven't seen the last few games but Ekeler is the one scoring TDs right now.  I'm curious as MG gets "warmed-up" if he can get back to doing his thing.  2017 it seemed like a light went on with MG and he was running with more urgency and spark.  2018 he was in full swing and had a 5.06 ypc.  He's had his struggles this year but even Ekeler is only managing 3.5 ypc this year so its not like he's lighting up the ground game.  Ekeler is doing a ton of damage in the passing game and I don't see why that would change. 

The question becomes can MG regain his 2018 running form and can he start scoring TDs?  MG has now gone through "HIS" training camp and should be picking up steam. If he doesn't do something soon this year may be a lost year - and then the questions arise, will the trade him?

• Like 1

MGIII's season so far is FF in a nutshell:

- Holdout

- Criminally low ADP

- Ekeler lights it up, but Chargers still suck

- MGIII returns earlier than expected

- Bargain! League winner!

- MGIII sucks behind a horrid OL

- What's next???

Melvin still isn't up to speed still but damn that Oline is atrocious. If it were just Melvin, then Ekeler would be doing something, but he is 10 rushes for 20 yards his past 2 games as well.Both those half yard goal line runs by Melvin, the entire defensive line was in the backfield almost immediately and that's inexcusable. They need Okung back in the worst way and maybe even trade for Solder or Trent Williams (if the Redskins would stop being total morons).

3 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

what are the chances they deal him before deadline? 

i'd like to think pretty good - remember, JJ is due back very soon, and the JJ/Ek combo should be more than enough to navigate the Bolts thru the duration. 

as far as what they'll get in return for MGIII via trade -  in terms of draft pick, as opposed to what the compensatory reward would be if he remains in LA for '18 but signs elsewhere in the off-season - is not something i am quite as clear on grasping atm 🤷‍♂️

As for comp pick they would probably get at least a 4th, more likely a 3rd, for him. All while riding him as hard as they wish during this season, knowing he gonna be gone.

Well, Gordon is demanding a hefty contract going into next season, isn't the youngest RB anymore and doesn't look too great out there right now. Only chance I see is a true contender losing its starting RB and willing to pay a 2nd or 3rd for Gordon. Never thought Sanu would fetch a 2nd, so it's for sure possible. But opposed to others and reports from earlier in the season, I actually think Gordon stays put.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, frog34 said:

MGIII's season so far is FF in a nutshell:

- Holdout

- Criminally low ADP

- MGIII returns earlier than expected

- Bargain! League winner!

- MGIII sucks behind a horrid OL

- What's next???

most likely a fumble 👀 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, frog34 said:

I could have sworn Ekeler was putting the team on his back and carrying them to all-time great heights and an undefeated record.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sSektor said:

I could have sworn Ekeler was putting the team on his back and carrying them to all-time great heights and an undefeated record.

undefeated record????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The_Real_Deal said:

undefeated record????

That's the vibe Ekeler truthers gave week 1-5 yeah

16 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i'd like to think pretty good - remember, JJ is due back very soon, and the JJ/Ek combo should be more than enough to navigate the Bolts thru the duration. 

as far as what they'll get in return for MGIII via trade -  in terms of draft pick, as opposed to what the compensatory reward would be if he remains in LA for '18 but signs elsewhere in the off-season - is not something i am quite as clear on grasping atm 🤷‍♂️

Where would be his potential landing spot?  I'm going through the depth charts and can't think of a move that would make sense...

5 minutes ago, SGagne said:

Where would be his potential landing spot?  I'm going through the depth charts and can't think of a move that would make sense...

Washington for Trent Williams would make a ton of sense - but highly unlikely 🤷‍♂️

Chicago? 

Detroit?

Arizona?

meh, just spitballin' 

3 minutes ago, y2jbones said:

I think we have to downscale his value to that of an RB3 with RB2 upside. 

The number of carries and redzone opportunities alone makes him an RB2 though. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sSektor said:

3 weeks in a row under 8 points PPR is more like RB3 numbers. His usage gives him RB2 upside though, as I said. 

10 minutes ago, sSektor said:

this. 

it's the great equalizer in comparision to someone like Breida, who NEVER gets gl love ... never. 

otoh, who knows if MGIII keeps that role after last week 🤷‍♂️

that fumble was an 8 pt magick foosball swing - as well as a Bolts loss. 

Edited by pastorofmuppets2

4 minutes ago, y2jbones said:

3 weeks in a row under 8 points PPR is more like RB3 numbers. His usage gives him RB2 upside though, as I said. 

He's still ranked as an RB2 everywhere. Lower end for now but it is what it is. There's too much surrounding talent (except the line) and scoring opportunity to rank him lower.

Houston would be great. They desperately need a solid 3 down workhorse.

• Like 1

Houston would be a nice fit, but they have no draft picks until the year 2054.  🤣

I'm not sure where there would be a fit, or a need.  Detroit does come to mind with the loss of Kerryon.  Other than that I'm not sure of any positive situations.  For example Washington isn't necessarily a good landing spot for this season for fantasy.  Miami is not either.   Would Buffalo want an upgrade over Gore? Would Chicago over Monty?   KC has a crowded group of mediocrity too, but I doubt that they make a move.