Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

soooo ... the Drake ships to 'Zona - was looking like a lock to land in Detroit, but the Cards punked 'em. 

he was the most logical/talked about RB to be moved, and he was ... but there's still a gaping chasm in the Lions backfield, made even more evident by that facacta 4 man "committee" they trotted out vs the Jints yesterday. 

Penny is another cat strongly rumored to be on the move - he was showcased heavily yestetday, and the SeaHags are open to dealing. 

but, if i'm Matty Patty and the cats from Motown, i take a run at MGIII - a proven 3 down grinder who can step in immediately to a workhorse role. 

the rust done been shook off - let's make this hapoen!

the Bolts can soldier on with Ek/JJ, those two have proven to be capable enough. 

🦁

20 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

soooo ... the Drake ships to 'Zona - was looking like a lock to land in Detroit, but the Cards punked 'em. 

he was the most logical/talked about RB to be moved, and he was ... but there's still a gaping chasm in the Lions backfield, made even more evident by that facacta 4 man "committee" they trotted out vs the Jints yesterday. 

Penny is another cat strongly rumored to be on the move - he was showcased heavily yestetday, and the SeaHags are open to dealing. 

but, if i'm Matty Patty and the cats from Motown, i take a run at MGIII - a proven 3 down grinder who can step in immediately to a workhorse role. 

the Bolts can soldier on with Ek/JJ, those two have proven to be capable enough. 

🦁

Lol the Ekeler thread would be off the chain! I actually traded for Ekeler after his 4 point stinker since I have Gordon. That would be heavenly for me 

Just now, Ryansm11 said:

Lol the Ekeler thread would be off the chain! I actually traded for Ekeler after his 4 point stinker since I have Gordon. That would be heavenly for me 

i believe Schefty (or Rap?) had a tweet out yesterday moring saying Drake/Penny/MGIII were all in play to be moved, in that order (Drake most likely, etc)  

we still have roughly 30 hrs 'til the trade deadline 🤷‍♂️

22 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

🦁

I can't see Detroit committing to Gordon, especially when they were high on KJ prior to him going down. Why would they wanna spend the cash for him when KJ could return this season? They're also not really a playoff team. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oliminator123 said:

I can't see Detroit committing to Gordon, especially when they were high on KJ prior to him going down. Why would they wanna spend the cash for him when KJ could return this season? They're also not really a playoff team. 

3-3-1 is close enough to try and make a push. KJ has proven to be fragile at this point. I don’t see Gordon going there personally. But it makes sense. It’s also one of their bigger needs now. 

Just now, Ryansm11 said:

3-3-1 is close enough to try and make a push. KJ has proven to be fragile at this point. I don’t see Gordon going there personally. But it makes sense. It’s also one of their bigger needs now. 

I agree.  Looking at the Lions schedule, they have many winnable games left IMO.  They just would be silly to go forward with the RB's they have.

If I were them, I'd be going hard after somebody.  Personally, my #1 target would be Kareem Hunt as he's still cheap and low risk.  They could probably get him for a 3rd or something.  I'd also look hard at Penny....Probably could get him for a 4th.  Gordon also a good option but more expensive not sure they're willing to invest long term in him and he's also probably costing a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

The Chargers probably should move Gordon though if they aren't bringing him back next year.....They don't need him. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

I agree.  Looking at the Lions schedule, they have many winnable games left IMO.  They just would be silly to go forward with the RB's they have.

If I were them, I'd be going hard after somebody.  Personally, my #1 target would be Kareem Hunt as he's still cheap and low risk.  They could probably get him for a 3rd or something.  I'd also look hard at Penny....Probably could get him for a 4th.  Gordon also a good option but more expensive not sure they're willing to invest long term in him and he's also probably costing a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

The Chargers probably should move Gordon though if they aren't bringing him back next year.....They don't need him. 

Hunt cannot be traded as per still under suspension via the exempt list - that doesn't lift for another week, which is well past the trade deadline tomorrow. 

13 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

#FreeJustinJackson 

Seriously though, the right move is to trade Gordon. He's not making a difference for the Chargers this season, and he is unlikely to be back next year. However, teams rarely do the right thing. 

7 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

#FreeJustinJackson 

Seriously though, the right move is to trade Gordon. He's not making a difference for the Chargers this season, and he is unlikely to be back next year. However, teams rarely do the right thing. 

If he's not doing well this year, why would anyone trade for him

4 minutes ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

Because he's better than replacement level, and the Lions don't have anyone on their roster who is better than replacement level. 

7 minutes ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

I don’t know why anyone would.   He’s going to cost a mid round pick and a big salary bump next season to be anything more than a rusty partial season rental.    They would be better off re signing CJA ROS

1 minute ago, ajs723 said:

Because he's better than replacement level, and the Lions don't have anyone on their roster who is better than replacement level. 

plus MGIII has always been a middle class man's L'ev Bell ... he can be useful on the field for all downs and distances. 

and, getting back to some of the earlier posts about KJ being there as a deterrent for a trade ... AYFKM?  think the Lions know they prolly gotta move on here ... two seasons, two injuries, and he wasn't exactly tearing it up when healthy. 

true MGIII has had his fair share of nicks and ouchies as well, but i doubt there is ONE tackle foosball GM who would take KJ over MGIII all things being equal. 

2 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

plus MGIII has always been a middle class man's L'ev Bell ... he can be useful on the field for all downs and distances. 

and, getting back to some of the earlier posts about KJ being there as a deterrent for a trade ... AYFKM?  think the Lions know they prolly gotta move on here ... two seasons, two injuries, and he wasn't exactly tearing it up when healthy. 

true MGIII has had his fair share of nicks and ouchies as well, but i doubt there is ONE tackle foosball GM who would take KJ over MGIII all things being equal. 

It's not like MGIII is going to cost a first round pick either. A 5th probably gets it done. A 4th definitely does. A potential backfield of MGIII, KJ, and Ty would be pretty nice.

I just don't know if the Lions would be willing to pay him. 

1 minute ago, ajs723 said:

It's not like MGIII is going to cost a first round pick either. A 5th probably gets it done. A 4th definitely does. A potential backfield of MGIII, KJ, and Ty would be pretty nice.

Huh? The Chargers were asking for a 2nd rounder earlier in the season. 

29 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Hunt cannot be traded as per still under suspension via the exempt list - that doesn't lift for another week, which is well past the trade deadline tomorrow. 

This is actually not true. Hunt can be traded. There is nothing to stop the Browns/Lions from doing it. I don't think it will happen though.

Yesterday was a worst case scenario for Gordon/Ekeler owners. Both look relatively ineffective, eating away at each other's values. Still not bad though, enough to give owners' of each player hope. But then the CHI kicker misses the FG, losing the game, and keeping the Chargers season alive. It wouldn't shock me to see Gordon go, but it would be very surprising. They see both as key parts of their offense. Which is true. 

Just now, oliminator123 said:

They know that isn't happening. If they can either get nothing or a 4th, why wouldn't they take a 4th. 

5 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Wouldn't any team who lost MGIII via free agency potentially get a compensatory 3rd round pick back?  I'm not sure how they evaluate worth in those considerations, but if he were to bring back a 3rd, you'd think he would have to at minimum bring back a 3rd in a trade.

1 minute ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Wouldn't any team who lost MGIII via free agency potentially get a compensatory 3rd round pick back?  I'm not sure how they evaluate worth in those considerations, but if he were to bring back a 3rd, you'd think he would have to at minimum bring back a 3rd in a trade.

Only the Chargers could possibly gauge their odds at a comp pick.   It’s calculated based on total talent lost vs signed by a team in the offseason.    

if they think Gordon’s market has tanked...or they have plans to o sign a big time O line(for example)...they could get no comp picks.  

A fourth rounder in the bank doesn’t sound so bad.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

And MG3 was asking for $15 million/season earlier this year.  Both he and the Chargers are very delusional about what someone else is willing to pay for MG3's services.

Ok, Ive seen enough now. Gordon is going to my bench. Chargers are idiots. Ekeler was a top 3 back and the offense was rolling when he was the starter. It came to a grinding halt the minute they forced Gordon back into the lineup. He's garbage, can't believe I traded for him thinking he would be pre-injury Gordon. Should have known from the end of last year that wasn't happening.  

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

They know that isn't happening. If they can either get nothing or a 4th, why wouldn't they take a 4th. 

Because the Spanos are very petty owners?

2 hours ago, ajs723 said:

They'll most likely get a 3rd rounder as a compensatory pick if he leaves in free agency.

Guys like Gurley, Johnson, Gordon, and bell basically just ruined big contracts for running backs. It’s going back to 8-10 mill a year next year lol. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ryansm11 said:

Guys like Gurley, Johnson, Gordon, and bell basically just ruined big contracts for running backs. It’s going back to 8-10 mill a year next year lol. 

I know I'd be totally ruined to get that much dough.  

• Haha 1