Boudewijn

Melvin Gordon 2019 Outlook

The Chargers have certainly demonstrated they are committed to him and running the ball. The only sad fact is Ekeler was still the most efficient RB on the field. He just wasn't rewarded with two TDs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

The Chargers have certainly demonstrated they are committed to him and running the ball. The only sad fact is Ekeler was still the most efficient RB on the field. He just wasn't rewarded with two TDs.

Ekeler got stopped on two carries inside the 5. And Ekeler’s ypc has been bad; he’s not exactly the beacon of efficiency. That’s a bad sign when you consider he’s mostly in on passing downs and when he’s in on runs most defenses are in nickel. He plays lighter boxes but still can’t run. There’s a reason the Chargers are so hyper committed to Gordon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

That's one valuable cloud of smoke he put up today.

Where there's smoke there's fire . Kid's gonna beast ROS , IF the Chargers can stay competent on offense. 

2 hours ago, Fantasy Gooroo said:

That's one valuable cloud of smoke he put up today.

Better than Ekeler's farts at the goalline at least.

• Haha 1

I'd look to sell high on Melvin, especially if you can convince somebody he is back to his solid RB1 days. Packers have a very weak run D. 20 carries for 80 yards is a solid output but nothing crazy against that unit. What baffles me is that Ekeler always gets the first crack to score inside the 5.

Reality is that Melvin is a RB2 ROS. As I said the Packers have a generous run D and the Chargers OL still sucks. Chargers were gifted amazing field position and that's ultimately what lead to both TDs. Other than that, they won the field position battle on special teams and scored a bunch of FGs. A couple years ago Melvin would've gone well over 100 and for 3 or 4 TDs in such a game.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

Nope. I’ve been down on Gordon so far because he has looked sluggish but he showed signs on that td run against the Bears and he was SICK when given a crease by the o line. Getting that crease is the issue but he looked like old Melvin Gordon. I like Ekeler in the Duke Johnson/Giovani Bernard type who can be a lead in short stints. Melvin had so much more power and the acceleration was fantastic yesterday.

Just now, jsch08 said:

Nope. I’ve been down on Gordon so far because he has looked sluggish but he showed signs on that td run against the Bears and he was SICK when given a crease by the o line. Getting that crease is the issue but he looked like old Melvin Gordon. I like Ekeler in the Duke Johnson/Giovani Bernard type who can be a lead in short stints. Melvin had so much more power and the acceleration was fantastic yesterday.

I agree that he finally looked and ran with the energy and drive that he had in the past. Maybe he is finally back in football shape and he's now gone through his "training camp". It's nice to see him running hard again and making plays.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frog34 said:

I'd look to sell high on Melvin, especially if you can convince somebody he is back to his solid RB1 days. Packers have a very weak run D. 20 carries for 80 yards is a solid output but nothing crazy against that unit. What baffles me is that Ekeler always gets the first crack to score inside the 5.

Reality is that Melvin is a RB2 ROS. As I said the Packers have a generous run D and the Chargers OL still sucks. Chargers were gifted amazing field position and that's ultimately what lead to both TDs. Other than that, they won the field position battle on special teams and scored a bunch of FGs. A couple years ago Melvin would've gone well over 100 and for 3 or 4 TDs in such a game.

Sobering take.... but disagree.   

He looked MUCH better than he has in a while...and the Chargers are heating up.   Many more tds coming for MG3 methinks- even if he’s not overly efficient.   They’re committed to using both backs.  

12 hours ago, Uncle_Ruckus said:

Ekeler got stopped on two carries inside the 5. And Ekeler’s ypc has been bad; he’s not exactly the beacon of efficiency. That’s a bad sign when you consider he’s mostly in on passing downs and when he’s in on runs most defenses are in nickel. He plays lighter boxes but still can’t run. There’s a reason the Chargers are so hyper committed to Gordon. 

I agree. I like Ekeler but he doesn’t have the power. There was a run in the second half where the O-line gave a crease, he hit it, got 5 yards in before being foot tackled. Gordon sheds that and gains a few more yards. The Gordon td against the Bears, Ekeler doesn’t make it in. Gordon got in at the end by finishing the run with amazing power and moving defenders backward. Ekeler doesn’t do that.

• Like 1

most telling harbinger from yesterday?

mid 4th, they're up 19-3 - get denied on 3rd and goal.  kick the fg, make it a three score game (22-3).

but, wait ... what's that? Pack offsides?  well, it didn't improve their lot at all, it was still 4th and goal. 

Lynn took the pernts off the bored.   vs ARod. 

they slam Marvin - TOUCHDOWN EL LAY SUPER CHARGERS!!!1!111!

STATEMENT. 

... do you think they do the same if it were still just Ek as lead back?

🤔

yeah, no way. 

No way am I selling on MG3 after holding him this long. lol

He doesn't need to be a high end RB1, but just RB1/RB2 for most owners. 

He isn't "TD dependent" either...if you're in a PPR league, this dude will have a pretty decent floor with all the dump offs from Rivers...plus the commitment to MG3 from the goal line...he's going to do pretty well ROS...

I love how every time a guy has a good game he becomes a sell high.  Change in play calling and coaching staff results in 23 touches for Gordon, and a dominating win by the Chargers against a 7-1 team.  What exactly is it that makes you think this was an anomaly?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, The_Truth_Returns said:

I love how every time a guy has a good game he becomes a sell high. 

THIS X INFINITY!

thank you!

1 minute ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

I love how every time a guy has a good game he becomes a sell high.  Change in play calling and coaching staff results in 23 touches for Gordon, and a dominating win by the Chargers against a 7-1 team.  What exactly is it that makes you think this was an anomaly?

This, my friend, is the formula. 

1 minute ago, The_Truth_Returns said:

Agreed - who would you sell him for? Why?

Dude is a stud who took a long layoff, and is finally getting back into shape, and getting the commitment from the staff to be THE MAN again. We should thank Eckler for showing everyone what MG3 numbers would be like if he never held out. 

This guy has RB1 written all over him, especially in PPR leagues. 

His points since he came back are: 5, 6, 7, 10, 24.....if that's not a clear trend I don't know what is.

18 minutes ago, FooserX said:

No way am I selling on MG3 after holding him this long. lol

He doesn't need to be a high end RB1, but just RB1/RB2 for most owners. 

He isn't "TD dependent" either...if you're in a PPR league, this dude will have a pretty decent floor with all the dump offs from Rivers...plus the commitment to MG3 from the goal line...he's going to do pretty well ROS...

Honestly, in my keeper league I've been trying to trade him for 2 years. Got some offers but never felt like it was enough. Even now I don't feel the offers are worth it so I guess I have to hold, but if he keeps playing like this I have no problem with it.

I'd definitely trade this guy if I got decent value but it seems everyone wants him for cheap. 

As mentioned above, the nice thing is he's back to getting goal line touches and with him pounding 2 more TDs in that should continue. That is what always helped him in the past is his ability to score TDs.

I like where this is heading.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

most telling harbinger from yesterday?

mid 4th, they're up 19-3 - get denied on 3rd and goal.  kick the fg, make it a three score game (22-3).

but, wait ... what's that? Pack offsides?  well, it didn't improve their lot at all, it was still 4th and goal. 

Lynn took the pernts off the bored.   vs ARod. 

they slam Marvin - TOUCHDOWN EL LAY SUPER CHARGERS!!!1!111!

STATEMENT. 

... do you think they do the same if it were still just Ek as lead back?

🤔

yeah, no way. 

I don’t know...it’s not as if AE was struggling in the role.   A bunch of snaps from the 1 prob results in a couple carries regardless of who the back was.    Situation determined that move more than anything.   My newfound excitement for Gordon comes more from their proven determination to use him a LOT.    He does look less rusty too.   

Edited by Impreza178

3 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

I don’t know...it’s not as if AE was struggling in the role.   A bunch of snaps from the 1 prob results in a couple carries regardless of who the back was.    Situation determined that move more than anything.   My newfound excitement for Gordon comes more from their proven determination to use him a LOT.    He does look less rusty too.   

gist of my post, prez, was that Lynn elected to take points off the board and put it in MGIII's hands ... STATEMENT!

and, no, i do not think they plunge Ek if he were still the only game in town ... i think he leaves the fg up, and carries on up 22-3 🤷‍♂️

13 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

gist of my post, prez, was that Lynn elected to take points off the board and put it in MGIII's hands ... STATEMENT!

and, no, i do not think they plunge Ek if he were still the only game in town ... i think he leaves the fg up, and carries on up 22-3 🤷‍♂️

Interesting.   I just assumed that was the right move regardless.   The worst that should happen with 1st and G from the 1 is a field goal.    But the chargers have proven that wrong at times LOL

Just now, Impreza178 said:

Interesting.   I just assumed that was the right move regardless.   The worst that should happen with 1st and G from the 1 is a field goal.    But the chargers have proven that wrong at times LOL

ok, but ... they already had 4th and goal from the one, and opted for the FG, which was goooooood- to put them up 22-3.

i betcha Phil/MGIII did some lobbying during the penalty time, and Lynn had a change of heart .. VOILA!  we get the 6 pernts!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

ok, but ... they already had 4th and goal from the one, and opted for the FG, which was goooooood- to put them up 22-3.

i betcha Phil/MGIII did some lobbying during the penalty time, and Lynn had a change of heart .. VOILA!  we get the 6 pernts!

gotcha.   Reading comprehension

I thought the penalty gave them a first down.   But you’re right-   That is some faith in MG3 to take a shot on fourth down.   Carry on and ignore me 

For those in Keeper leagues I was thinking about his long term value.  Currently his arrow is trending up which is a great sign. Having said that, the best value for a trade is probably moving him to an RB needy team and picking up a solid WR1.  At this point though, for me at least, I need my RBs, especially one that can potentially put up a 20 burger at anytime. Swapping him for a similar RB across the board probably won't happen.

Long term, if he keeps this up ROS, the best bet would be to trade him in the offseason for a draft pick. With most trade deadlines coming up I'm not sure one would get full value, especially if he's back into his old form. People are still looking to get him cheap.