Sign in to follow this  
jfazz23

Jose Ramirez 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

At this point in the season, it really doesn't matter a whole lot.  He has no time left to be bad if that is the case with this type of injury, at least for fantasy purposes.  If he's able to return for the playoffs and is bad, it sucks for Cleveland, but that's about it.

It’s also the same thing Olson had and he’s doing ok after coming back. Different players respond differently to the same injuries. 

18 hours ago, phillyphan21 said:

H2H or Roto? He's quite possibly the streakiest player I've ever seen, or at least the streakiest good player. The guy either looks like a top five player or barely top 300 player, no in between. I'd probably draft him where he goes in ROTO and stay far away in H2H. 

If you’re only looking at the last calendar year, ok. But other than that he was not extremely streaky. 

I’ll admit I don’t play H2H often. But I don’t understand this idea of H2H players trying to find less streaky players. First, outside of a few elite hitters, it simply doesn’t exist. But more importantly, would you really want steady each week? If JRam went 26HR/26 SB, a great season, that would be one of each per week. Don’t you hope some weeks the rest of your team carries you, and others JRam goes on the 3 HR/4 SB week tear we all know he can?

Either way, my point is, I don’t think it should change much. Trying to draft someone who you think will “spread the production out more evenly” seems like a foolish exercise. Draft the best numbers and take them when they come. 

Next year’s drafts will be interesting. Top 5 pick, ice cold, boiling hot, injury. Still going to have some non-believers. Guessing end of the 2nd ADP (18-24)?

25 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Don’t you hope some weeks the rest of your team carries you, and others JRam goes on the 3 HR/4 SB week tear we all know he can?

This - cant for the life of me figure out why so many H2H players want consistency. I want to ride the hot rails when players like JoRam go nuts

3 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

If you’re only looking at the last calendar year, ok. But other than that he was not extremely streaky. 

I’ll admit I don’t play H2H often. But I don’t understand this idea of H2H players trying to find less streaky players. First, outside of a few elite hitters, it simply doesn’t exist. But more importantly, would you really want steady each week? If JRam went 26HR/26 SB, a great season, that would be one of each per week. Don’t you hope some weeks the rest of your team carries you, and others JRam goes on the 3 HR/4 SB week tear we all know he can?

Either way, my point is, I don’t think it should change much. Trying to draft someone who you think will “spread the production out more evenly” seems like a foolish exercise. Draft the best numbers and take them when they come. 

Next year’s drafts will be interesting. Top 5 pick, ice cold, boiling hot, injury. Still going to have some non-believers. Guessing end of the 2nd ADP (18-24)?

These are his monthly splits from 2017 

April, June, July, and September all saw him OPS at least .950, with June and September above 1.000. May and August were both sub-.750 months, August sub-.700. 

2018 actually wasn't as extreme, but ultimately he was otherworldly the first half of the season and through July but went ice cold the month and a half.

And then this year he started with three straight sub-.750 months (.557, .725, and .620) and before he went down was working on his second straight 1.000 month.

As for wanting less streaky players, I do get that streakiness is inherent in baseball. I'm not saying he needs to have the exact same production every week. But of the past 17 months of baseball, there have been six where he was below replacement level. I don't want those extremes from a guy I'm picking early, especially when you consider the guys being picked around him should put up just as good numbers with hopefully a bit more evenness. Bad weeks can add up in H2H if multiple cold streaks fall at the same time, and if your early round picks are especially streaky that effect will be exacerbated. 

I guess the tl;dr would be that I want less streaky players early on to make up for the streakiness you'll inevitably draft as the draft goes on.

3 hours ago, MSkibisky said:

This - cant for the life of me figure out why so many H2H players want consistency. I want to ride the hot rails when players like JoRam go nuts

Double-edged sword. Guys like JRam can win you weeks but can also lose you weeks. He was un-rosterable for the first two months of the season, what if this came during the playoffs? I owned Justin Upton and Jay Bruce during their primes and same damn thing - they'd get you a good amount of bombs a year but the streakiness was insufferable. 

22 minutes ago, papaphunk said:

Drop City for the playoff run ? 

I just did.  Maybe he comes back the last week of the season, but I need to get to that last week in order for it to even matter.  Rather not take the chance.

3 hours ago, papaphunk said:

Drop City for the playoff run ? 

Im waiting to hear how the surgery went. But it’s inevitable. 

not sure how some of you feel. but i think hes going to be a great value pick next year

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

not sure how some of you feel. but i think hes going to be a great value pick next year

value shmalue, I'm still keeping him

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 9:43 AM, Jyeatbvg said:

Double-edged sword. Guys like JRam can win you weeks but can also lose you weeks. He was un-rosterable for the first two months of the season, what if this came during the playoffs? I owned Justin Upton and Jay Bruce during their primes and same damn thing - they'd get you a good amount of bombs a year but the streakiness was insufferable. 

1 hitter cannot lose you a week. And all hitters are "streaky". Its the nature of baseball.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wishing this 'stud' better luck next season! Hopefully his owners can get more than 7 good weeks from him next season lol. Then again maybe his fans are cool with trading 12 dreadful weeks for the 7 magical ones... again lol...

8 hours ago, cs3 said:

1 hitter cannot lose you a week. And all hitters are "streaky". Its the nature of baseball.

Lol what a cheap generalization which adds no value to the discussion. Multiple posters over multiple pages are here discussing JRam's streakiness and you just come in with "AlL hITtErS aRe StReAkY iTs ThE nAtUrE oF bAsEbAlL". Disappointing post from you mate, I expected better.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wahoos1 said:

Back tomorrow maybe?

Maybe.  Nothing has been said officially yet, but we should know within the next few hours for sure since Sunday Night Baseball is earlier than it used to be tonight.  They are off tomorrow, so it wouldn't be super surprising if he sat tonight and came back on Tuesday, but I wouldn't be shocked if he played tonight either.  They need every win they can get at this point.

He's expected to be back on Tuesday.  While they need every win, I can understand it to an extent since they are off tomorrow...

4 hours ago, buzzkilloton said:

Anybody throwing him out there today? My fear is hes early JoRam not late season. 

Definitely using him.  Unless you managed to get a really good replacement for him while he was out, I don't see how you can't.  I understand concern, but this is still the player who was carrying fantasy teams before he got hurt.

He's also gets 3 games against lousy CHW pitching and won't be seeing Giolito of course since he's been shut down. He does have to face Corbin and Max next series at WAS however. I'm hoping he's helpful, but who knows if they give him multiple days off coming off injury.

8 minutes ago, tonywow said:

He's also gets 3 games against lousy CHW pitching and won't be seeing Giolito of course since he's been shut down. He does have to face Corbin and Max next series at WAS however. I'm hoping he's helpful, but who knows if they give him multiple days off coming off injury.

Some of it will depend on how he responds to actually playing in games and how the playoff picture goes as the week progresses.  If he feels fine and they continue to need every win possible to make it (right down to the end), then I can envision Jose playing in every game (or really close to it).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Definitely using him.  Unless you managed to get a really good replacement for him while he was out, I don't see how you can't.  I understand concern, but this is still the player who was carrying fantasy teams before he got hurt.

If hes 80% of what he was hes obv a upgrade to any 12 team league title team roster id imagine if not at a position at flex. My concern is he just comes out and is rusty and gives us like a 1/20 streak during title week which would suck. Was more thinking should i just let him rip tonight or wait and see what he looks like.

Not to make it AC but on one team this week its either roll with JoRam or Castro there tonight 100 H2H finals. I see you're from Ohio and feel confident letting him rip. I think im just going to drop Castro and stream a pitcher and hope JoRam gets hot this week.

Gl to the few of us remaining in the playoffs with JoRam on the rosters.