Sign in to follow this  
jfazz23

Jose Ramirez 2019 Outlook

13 minutes ago, benturn22 said:

the thing that worries me about Ramirez was he was pretty awful in the second half last year....batted .302 with 29 homers and 70 rbi PRE all star break and then POST all star break he batted .218 with 10 homers and 35 rbi..he's looking much like the post all star break hitter to start this year..I watched most of his at bats last year, and he looks the same this year as he did post all star break last year...BUT, yes he did start real slow last year, so hopefully he figures it out.

What changed in the way he was approached/attacked in the second half of last year? 

34 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

What changed in the way he was approached/attacked in the second half of last year? 

If you meant to actually post that as a question, then yes, he was pitched too much differently in the second half.  As good of a hitter and a hard worker as he is, I'm surprised he's yet to truly adjust, but he's too good for me to worry about him.

My only real criticism of him right now is that he still refuses to try to become a decent hitter to the opposite field, something J.D. Martinez makes look easy.  If he would do that, it would help against the shifts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 96mnc said:

got attacked with off speed pitches he couldn't hit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jrod124 said:

Any news on why he left the game? Aside from sucking a** this year...

Took a foul to the foot. Stayed in for his AB but you could tell he was in pain

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, squidthunder said:

Took a foul to the foot. Stayed in for his AB but you could tell he was in pain

Left foot contusion per announcers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sharpee said:

This guy can't catch a break.....

Let’s sure hope it’s not 

Looked a little ginger after, but finished the at bat.  If he hadn't had the scare preseason this would be less worrisome.  Likely fine.  

17 minutes ago, Snilbog said:

Looked a little ginger after, but finished the at bat.  If he hadn't had the scare preseason this would be less worrisome.  Likely fine.  

That he did.  Something possibly seemed up in the dugout as well as the team congratulating him after the sac fly looked strange.  Unless they were just messing around, but regardless, it's been ruled as precautionary.  Didn't see anything after he resumed the at bat that would lead me to believe that it's anything other than that.  If it wasn't 4-0 at the time, I would think he would have stayed in the game.

• Like 1

Give his leg the Barry Bonds body armor.  Keeps fouling balls off his leg region. 

3 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Give his leg the Barry Bonds body armor.  Keeps fouling balls off his leg region. 

It got him to stop swinging at crap and get a sac fly, so while I obviously want him to stop fouling the ball of himself, maybe he needs the occasional wake up call. :)

Let’s not forget that the Cleveland lineup is absolutely brutal right now with Lindor on the shelf. Other than Ramirez, Santana is the only other legitimate bat in that entire lineup this year. Brantley, Encarnacion and Alonso are all gone now and all were replaced by far inferior talent. So, even if Ramirez was fully healthy and not looking like an amateur out there, why even pitch to him? Everyone else sucks so give him the Bryce Harper treatment (when the rest of his whole lineup was injured last year) and pitch around him.

Not sure it makes a difference with that lineup around him or even the way he hits for that matter lol

• Like 3

When I was drafting I forgot how bad the Indians line up will be. I doubt he's even a top 20 fantasy player this year

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

When I was drafting I forgot how bad the Indians line up will be. I doubt he's even a top 20 fantasy player this year

I’d take that bet 

• Like 1

For those worried about Ramirez's health, he pinch hit tonight: walked, stole second, and is currently in position to score.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

For those worried about Ramirez's health, he pinch hit tonight: walked, stole second, and is currently in position to score.

lol the overreactions in this thread are hilarious. eventually Lindor will be back in this lineup and it'll be just fine. Maybe not to level of last year but still good enough for this guy to put up elite stats. 

Edited by Mexi1024
  • Like 1

So, to summarize, he's done this before and he's ended up just fine.

Still, it was a good read with a good amount of solid stats mixed in.  Maybe yesterday was the beginning of him breaking out of it.  At the very least, it was a nice game for him.