brockpapersizer

Michael Conforto 2019 Outlook

a severe concussion ruined the career of Justin Morneau.  He was a stud 1B for the Twins and was in the midst of another great season at the age of 29 when a mid season concussion finished his 2010 season.

He was never the same player.   For a truly sad story check out his stats before and after his concussion in July, 2010.  What might have been

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/morneju01.shtml

Wish Cano would know his role and get out of the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, FUM said:

Wish Cano would know his role and get out of the way.

Exactly if the OF calls you off you have to back away from the play at that point. He was way outside of his 2nd Base territory

Not trying to be 'too' optimistic.

But except for the few dramatic cases of decline (Morneau, Mauer, Choi), most of the players eventually came back. As it suggests in the research shown above, it did not have particularly worse effects on the player compared to other injuries.

Let's just hope this is the case for Conforto.

13 minutes ago, tscherrer2 said:

Hm, I feel like it's um a little early to be discussing a career ruining concussion...

It’s the Mets so we’re probably having this conversation too late 

• Haha 5

Guys go on the 7-day Concussion DL all the time, and come back right where they left off. I see no reason to think Conforto will have lasting effects from this.

• Like 2

This one worries me some because he appeared to be knocked out cold for at least a second, hit the ground hard with no attempt to catch himself. The initial collision didn't looked bad but it appeared to have caught him on the chin just right. I could be wrong but I don't think this will be just a 7 day stint. I think it's worse than it looked but waaaay too soon to talk season ending, much less career ending. I'd plan to be without him for a few weeks at least, just to be safe. 

18 minutes ago, jseay65 said:

This one worries me some because he appeared to be knocked out cold for at least a second, hit the ground hard with no attempt to catch himself. The initial collision didn't looked bad but it appeared to have caught him on the chin just right. I could be wrong but I don't think this will be just a 7 day stint. I think it's worse than it looked but waaaay too soon to talk season ending, much less career ending. I'd plan to be without him for a few weeks at least, just to be safe. 

Totally agree especially with more and more being looked at with every concussion. Hopefully it’s minor but no one knows at this point. He was definitely out on his feet for split second.

Edited by Magoo

So now that Conforto's career is in jeopardy, who are we looking at to replace him?

Edited by hangin n wangin

Concussions are serious, but let's all calm down.  Odds are he's going to be back in a week and in the lineup ready to go. 

From a fantasy standpoint the suck in this is that he was getting hot at the plate with 3 HR's, 7 runs & 6 RBI in his last 5 games.  So instead of what looked to be a nice run, we get a missed week and a half at least and the lingering concerns a concussion brings.    Let's hope he's fine (for real) and back hacking real soon.  I will not start him next week, and would advise against it if you have options in the OF.

25 minutes ago, Macgregor said:

It's a bit hard to start him while he's on the IL.

You could.  As a gesture to honor him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

He's on the 7 day concussion list, not the 10 day IL.  So he is eligible to return on Wednesday or Thursday if he's cleared. 

Sounds like they will take their sweet time with him, but good news seems to be that he seems fine.  Hoping for a Friday activation, but wouldn't be surprised if it was another week. Would be a little surprised if it was after June 1 without a setback.

Eligible to come off the DL tomorrow.  Can't find anything to indicate he will, but sounds like he may be close.

Any Mets buffs with any scuttlebutt?

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

Eligible to come off the DL tomorrow.  Can't find anything to indicate he will, but sounds like he may be close.

Any Mets buffs with any scuttlebutt?

I read somewhere that he won't be playing when first eligible.  Sorry can't look for the link right now but read that yesterday...

• Thanks 1

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-sports-michael-conforto-injury-update-20190522-43dhlcjkcndohdwlru4rl53nji-story.html

It doesn’t seem like Conforto is expected back for this weekend. The broadcasters haven’t mentioned anything. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, y2jbones said:

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-sports-michael-conforto-injury-update-20190522-43dhlcjkcndohdwlru4rl53nji-story.html

It doesn’t seem like Conforto is expected back for this weekend. The broadcasters haven’t mentioned anything. 

He may not be back this weekend but that article was Tuesday and he's made strides since then, including BP yesterday.

• Like 1