BigPapi44

Corbin Burnes 2019 Outlook

37 minutes ago, tsh00k said:

Wow, very surprised at the comments above.  Burnes, Peralta, Woodruff in order for me both short & long term. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but honestly Woodruff probably has the best stuff out of the three. Peralta has very little control and has days where he'll walk everyone in the park. Burnes will probably be decent, but Woodruff really seemed to figure things out last year coming out of the pen and he was pretty good in the playoffs (12.1 innings, 3 er, 20/3 k/bb).

20 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but honestly Woodruff probably has the best stuff out of the three. Peralta has very little control and has days where he'll walk everyone in the park. Burnes will probably be decent, but Woodruff really seemed to figure things out last year coming out of the pen and he was pretty good in the playoffs (12.1 innings, 3 er, 20/3 k/bb).

Woodruff has a superior fastball but does not have better offspeed than Burnes. Nor does he has a 4th pitch. Thats not to say Burnes doesn't have a great fastball either. Woodruff's lack of consistency in his delivery still leaves me concerned and Peralta's volatility is obvious to anyone. 

1 hour ago, tsh00k said:

Wow, very surprised at the comments above.  Burnes, Peralta, Woodruff in order for me both short & long term. 

Reality is, no one has clue. It’s a guessing game.

if people want to throw out his AAA numbers because of PCL, should the same be done with spring straining because it's just spring training?

18.2 IP, 24 H, 12 ER.

his previous seasons in the minors were productive so there is some upside there.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=185678

Very impressive final tuneup tonight: 3.2 ip, 2h, 0r, 0bb, 5ks. He was around the strike zone all night and got a bunch of swings and misses.

• Like 1

My main concern with him is he only threw the curve 4 times, making him basically a two pitch pitcher, (fastballs/slider).  Cardinals hitters knew this late in outing and started sitting on fastballs and crushing them to the tune of 3 homers.  Overall, very impressive outing but something to watch out for.  

Sorry, I can not remember where I read it--likely Twitter, but apparently his spin rate on the slider was absolutely incredible.

OK here it is, was the FB not the slider as I stated:

Of Burnes’ 12 strikeouts, six came on his sensational slider and six on a fastball that topped out at 96.3 mph, according to Statcast, and featured a remarkable spin rate averaging 2,913 rpm that gives the pitch its rising effect. That’s a record since Statcast came online in 2015 for an outing in which a pitcher threw at least 25 four-seam fastballs.

Anything north of 2,600 rpm is considered elite. The previous Statcast record was shared by Max Scherzer and Justin Verlander, at 2,681 rpm.

“It was his fastball today that was the pitch,” Counsell said. “He has cut on his fastball and there was a little more on it today, is what it looked like the hitters were kind of telling.”

Source: https://www.mlb.com/brewers/news/three-takeaways-from-brewers-opening-series

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Corbin Burnes pulled. Ends with a line of 5 IP, 6 hits, 7 earned runs, 3 walks and 6 strikeouts. He also gave up 3 homers, just like his previous start.

Disappointing, but he dazzles when he's not giving up homers. Despite excellence out of the bullpen last season, can't forget this was his 2nd major league start. Are we ready to write him off because of the homer issue, or is there reason to believe he can pull himself together? I mean, the stuff is there. His 9 strikeouts over the first 3 innings against the Cards was eye-opening.

He did face two very good offenses (Cubs and Cardinals) but besides Baez the homers tonight came from Heyward and Caratini.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Like 1

I'm holding right now, still rank him and woodruff on top of the fringe waiver wire roster spots: woodruff > Burnes > Caleb > paddack > alcantara > pabLo > Richards > eflin > shoemaker > fried > Turnbull > f.peralta   >   German > montas   >  lauer > strahm > keller > eovaldi > e-rod

• Like 1

He has 2 elite pitches..but that is it. It's all he's throwing right now.  He has nothing to get left handed hitters out besides his FB. So everyone is just trying to sit dead red of him. Sometimes they strikeout, sometimes they get it right an launch one. 

He's a thrower more than pitcher right now

Vs LHH tonight  43 FBs, 5 SL, 6 Curv, 2 Cutters.  That isn't exactly mixing much up.  This is going to be a problem until he trusts his curve-ball more or get a feel for a change up again.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pivetta 2.0

I don't mind owning a guy like this in h2h. You can choose if the ks are warranted in your weekly matchups.  Roto guys,  it's a bumpy road. 

Per Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Corbin Burnes: "I thought I threw the ball well tonight. I actually think I threw the ball better tonight than I did last outing. I’ve just got to find a way that when I make mistakes, they can’t be over the wall. They’ve got to go for singles, or the occasional double here or there. That’s something we’ll go in and look at. Whether it’s just bad pitch selection or just bad spots, that’s something that will be addressed."

Craig Counsell: "Corbin is a starter for us. We've made that commitment. The first two starts are odd, with the home runs, but his stuff has played really well, too. I think it's on us to work on that. I think there's a lot of ingredients there for success. It's our job to help him get there. There are too many ingredients there for him to have success as a starter."

Corbin Burnes Inteview

I'm holding. For me, there just aren't too many other guys on the wire with his upside.

• Like 2

7th highest velo among starters, and the highest spin rate. I think he's a great pitcher to hold on to, or buy very low right now. He needs a changeup to become elite. Outside of lacking a changeup, his statcast numbers look a lot like deGrom. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That 62.5% hard hit rate though...

I understand possibly playing matchups with him, but he needs to know he can't just overpower batters with his FB. MLB level players can hit the fastball.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

7th highest velo among starters, and the highest spin rate. I think he's a great pitcher to hold on to, or buy very low right now. He needs a changeup to become elite. Outside of lacking a changeup, his statcast numbers look a lot like deGrom. 

He's not lacking the confidence either. I think after the Cubs went up 4-2, Burnes stepped up to the plate against Hamels and went 9-10 pitches, eventually sending a single out to left field to load the bases with two outs. I don't think that happens if he's too in his head about the homers he gave up.

Video Link

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

He has 2 elite pitches..but that is it. It's all he's throwing right now.  He has nothing to get left handed hitters out besides his FB. So everyone is just trying to sit dead red of him. Sometimes they strikeout, sometimes they get it right an launch one. 

He's a thrower more than pitcher right now

Vs LHH tonight  43 FBs, 5 SL, 6 Curv, 2 Cutters.  That isn't exactly mixing much up.  This is going to be a problem until he trusts his curve-ball more or get a feel for a change up again.

Yeah this is my main rub against developing SPs in the pen--the fact that they sometimes bury their non-primary secondaries.

He's got them too, he's not only a 2 pitch guy...they just are not real honed in because he did not need them last year to get outs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spahern said:

How long before he's sp eligible in yahoo?

1 more start.

Feels like Robbie Ray 2.0

As others mentioned, relying on two pitches ain't gonna cut it.  

25 minutes ago, tm30 said:

Feels like Robbie Ray 2.0

As others mentioned, relying on two pitches ain't gonna cut it.  

Yea, he's getting rocked by LH batters. They need to call a better game.