Homerj24

Shane Bieber 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Bieber is another guy I don't really play matchups with. I'd be happy with 6 IP, 3 ER, 5 K. 

But can we trust you?  You seem to pitch almost everybody judging by the Gameday threads... 😉

In all seriousness, I am actually leaning towards starting.  If I can only use him in really safe matchups, then I guess I shouldn't even be rostering him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

But can we trust you?  You seem to pitch almost everybody judging by the Gameday threads... 😉

In all seriousness, I am actually leaning towards starting.  If I can only use him in really safe matchups, then I guess I shouldn't even be rostering him.

I feel like there is a large middle ground between really safe matchups and @HOU. He is a sit for me today

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't watch his whole start, but judging by the line in a really awful matchup, I can't help but be pleased.  Obviously the 4 walks aren't ideal and that final walk before the HR lead to him not being able to get a Win, but still a solid bounce back start against a much tougher opponent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

I couldn't watch his whole start, but judging by the line in a really awful matchup, I can't help but be pleased.  Obviously the 4 walks aren't ideal and that final walk before the HR lead to him not being able to get a Win, but still a solid bounce back start against a much tougher opponent.

I agree, I didn't start him, but I will in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid outing. Rough 1st inning w/ a lot of pitches, calmed down after - gave up the 2 run homer to Correa in the 6th I believe. But still a QS against the Astros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another really good start tonight, going nearly 8 innings and dominating the Mariners for the second time this season.

Aside from the debacle against Atlanta on Sunday Night Baseball Part 2 of 3 (Cleveland was on it 3 weeks in a row), he's been good in every start this season.  He could very well be coming close to a set and forget pitcher.

Now if only the Indians could actually score for him...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay what's up with Bieber giving up a bunch of home runs? He only gave up one homer over his first four games, but the other nine of his homers came from his last five games. My initial thoughts are opponent quality--he first faced MIN, TOR, DET, and SEA and then recently faced ATL, HOU, SEA, and CHW twice in back to back starts. Are there any numbers to back this up or should we be concerned of something greater?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rufflemaster said:

Okay what's up with Bieber giving up a bunch of home runs? He only gave up one homer over his first four games, but the other nine of his homers came from his last five games. My initial thoughts are opponent quality--he first faced MIN, TOR, DET, and SEA and then recently faced ATL, HOU, SEA, and CHW twice in back to back starts. Are there any numbers to back this up or should we be concerned of something greater?

He's in the zone a lot.  Not quite as much as last year, but still.  I don't really mind if he's giving up solo shots and he's just not going to regularly give up multiple HRs a game like he did the other night.  Bieber has great control and lousy command.  He needs to learn when to throw garbage when he falls behind against a dangerous hitter that can hurt him.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

at least they left him in. they should have done the same with Sale. according to coaches now......he should have only went 5 innings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MathieuVirtuoso said:

9 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 15 K for Bieber today. 

My god. 

You're welcome.  As in I traded him after he wasn't able to even get a Win (obviously not all his fault) in his last 6 starts.  Now he should be able to keep rolling along.

Even if it's a weak opponent, he still obviously went out there and pitched very good. (hear that, Trevor?)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TB has some tough lefties and the the entire lineup made him work.  Was having trouble locating early and didn't have a feel for his slider.  Once he started throwing the curve and got a feel for the offspeed stuff he went back to the slider, but TB was just sitting FB every AB it seemed.  As a result he was in a lot of 5+ pitch counts and only lasted 5IP, and so while he gave up 4H and 4BB he was able to get to 10Ks.

Despite not being economical enough to get to the 6th or sniff the QS, I liked what I saw.  There will be times when a guy doesn't come out with everything working and he must still find a way to keep his team in the game.  Bieber did that against Snell having come out in a 1-1 game.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that insight nasty, I wasn't about to catch any of the game, Rays got a good squad, pretty solid performance and racked up some K's in lieu of a W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2019 at 8:39 AM, SpartyinFoCo said:

Are we starting Biebs in Boston?

 

I did because I'm super short on starts this week and will be benching him vs elite offenses in tater friendly parks in the future.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of really good pitchers are going to give up HRs to the Red Sox.  Not concerned at all.  Yeah the damage to ratios hurt, but even with the 6ER and 8 hits he's still at a 3.67ERA and 1.06WHIP on the year.

 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed reference to deleted post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I wasn’t really surprised by the result and his periphs pointed towards some regression anyways. He’s in the zone a lot so he will have games where the long ball bites him. As long as his k rate stays at this level I’ll deal with the bad starts here and there. His swinging strike rate is still great, 14% I believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was amazing today. Through 6 he allowed 1 hit and had struck out 10 I believe.

7th inning was a little painful to watch.

But overall great start

Edited by NolanRyan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another good start for Bieber. His HR/9 is the only thing preventing him from becoming a top 10 SP. His K-BB% is sitting at 25.7%, which is phenomenal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bieber is a truly elite pitcher.

 

K% - 31.7%
BB% - 5.5%
FIP - 3.39
xFIP - 3.08
SIERA - 3.21

He has positive pitch values for all of his pitches, including a 6.4 score for his slider. If he lowers that HR/9 a bit, we are looking at a 3.00 ERA pitcher.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Bieber is a truly elite pitcher.

 

K% - 31.7%
BB% - 5.5%
FIP - 3.39
xFIP - 3.08
SIERA - 3.21

He has positive pitch values for all of his pitches, including a 6.4 score for his slider. If he lowers that HR/9 a bit, we are looking at a 3.00 ERA pitcher.

 

He's only gonna get better too. His offspeed stuff has been really great this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.