Sign in to follow this  
IlliniGuy76

Blake Snell 2019 Outlook

His last two starts were on the road against two of the best offenses in baseball (NYY and Min), so I’ll give him a pass on those.  I know he has also struggled against some lesser offenses, but McKay is now with the team and hopefully gave him some pointers after his gem yesterday.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, two0six said:

Guess whos back

Glad I had the balls to start him today! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

I didn't start. But.....whewf.

Are you starting him against the Yanks?

I am but I'm only expecting a QS at best to be honest. 

7 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Are you starting him against the Yanks?

I am but I'm only expecting a QS at best to be honest. 

After my earlier “advice” to you, I’m guessing you’re gonna do the opposite of what I tell you lol.  This start should eliminate any injury concerns.  If it was fortnite or tipping pitches, hopefully that’s settled.  The Yankees seem to have his number, but I’ll start for the ks if nothing else.  Last year, he was a start no matter what guy. seeing  how there’s probably nothing really wrong, I’ll lean that way this year, starting with the Yankees.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

His next start is vs. the Yankees.  Who's got the balls to start him then?  

I can count on one hand the number of pitchers who I would start against this Yankees team.  Snell isn't one of them.  Today's start was great to see though.  Just need some consistency now (although I'm not expecting that to start against the yankees).

I do not know what this means moving forward.  Not one of his strikeouts today was with either his curve or slider. All of them were on his changeup or fastball.  I think he was more aggressive today. 

I am starting vs. NYY. 

He will do something different this time that will throw the Yankees off.   

• Like 1

Dude has an absurd 117 strikeouts in 85 innings this year. He is still ridiculously nasty, just can’t seem to get any breaks this season whereas he got a bunch last season.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, killa3312 said:

Dude has an absurd 117 strikeouts in 85 innings this year. He is still ridiculously nasty, just can’t seem to get any breaks this season whereas he got a bunch last season.

It's not "catching a break", it's control over his slider and curve. He's not hitting his spots this season.

5 hours ago, Roto4500 said:

It's not "catching a break", it's control over his slider and curve. He's not hitting his spots this season.

Not true, Killa is right....Snell has been one of the least lucky SP's in baseball among the top talents.  A member in the Noah Syndergaard thread broke down the stats.  It's an interesting read that shows Blake Snell as the #1 unluckiest SP, with Syndergaard #2.

I'm targeting Snell, and already acquired Noah a couple weeks ago.  I'd recommend others do the same if they need pitching help.  My team is pretty strong at SP, but it's crucial to have guys like Snell come the playoffs when most of the top SP's have found their groove mid-season, while many of the less established SP's come back down to earth.  As inning totals start to climb, it's important to have established SP's who, right about now, start to seriously separate themselves from the pack.  We need to run guys like Snell and Noah out there against our league's best competition to win a chip.

Edited by HulkSmash
  • Like 5

starting him this week vs. the Yanks.  I'm hoping jet lag and time change help. And the batters should be really tired for all those trips around the bases. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

starting him this week vs. the Yanks.  I'm hoping jet lag and time change help. And the batters should be really tired for all those trips around the bases. 

He’s gonna get absolutely destroyed 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, phisouza33 said:

Every pitcher is getting destroyed with this new ball. 

14 hours ago, phisouza33 said:

nah. I'm not expecting an amazing performance, but I'll say he has a QS with 8 k's  

21 hours ago, Roto4500 said:

This is true. Because of that he has reduced usage of both.  As I mentioned everyone one of his Ks vs. TEX was on the FB and CH.   It is concerning.

The good news is he has a lot of weapons in at his disposal.  He has one of the best fastballs in baseball and a great change.  He could also find his CB and SL again with adjustments.  

As for vs. NYY there is a wide range out outcomes.  Most likely 6IP, 3ER, 8K.  I could see him getting torched as well.  I could also see a repeat performance of vs. TEX.

On 7/3/2019 at 12:07 AM, phisouza33 said:

Looks like you failed. 

Snell was terrific today. The REAL complaint should be levied against the umpire, what a crock today, CC Sabathia had one zone, and Snell had another. It was terrible. 

Even still, Snell locked it down against a great lineup. ONE concern I have is his struggles versus lefty hitters. Gardner took him deep (admittedly after a terrible job by the ump), but Mike Tauchman looked like Ted Williams against him today. In fact, lefties are hitting well over .300 versus Snell this year. Simply no reason for that, Snell is a brilliant pitcher with elite stuff and a great gameplan. I suspect Snell owners will be very pleased with his 2nd half. Just be patient with him.

17 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Looks like you failed. 

Snell was terrific today. The REAL complaint should be levied against the umpire, what a crock today, CC Sabathia had one zone, and Snell had another. It was terrible. 

Even still, Snell locked it down against a great lineup. ONE concern I have is his struggles versus lefty hitters. Gardner took him deep (admittedly after a terrible job by the ump), but Mike Tauchman looked like Ted Williams against him today. In fact, lefties are hitting well over .300 versus Snell this year. Simply no reason for that, Snell is a brilliant pitcher with elite stuff and a great gameplan. I suspect Snell owners will be very pleased with his 2nd half. Just be patient with him.

Best stuff in baseball.  He will figure it out.  He has had struggles with his breaking pitch this season but I think he will figure out that it can be good enough vs. left handed batters.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, svtballa said:

Is he pitching tomorrow???  Looks like his next start is July 15??   did they skip a start?

CBS has his next start coming Monday.

• Like 1

Yeah Monday @NYY  :(    ughhhhh what to do? Last time he was DESTROYED at Yankee Stadium, but the start before that he was very good at Yankee Stadium...