Sign in to follow this  
dontclapGonorrhea

Michael Thomas 2019 Outlook

Thomas is a top stud receiver with a QB who is also a top QB and who loves to throw. Look for him to continue to put up fantastic numbers and be a #1 WR and in the lineup every week no matter the defense.

Brown, OBJ, ......Thomas? Teams are selling elite WR's like hotcakes!!!!!

Thomas is in the same tier as Davante Adams and Deandre Hopkins and could easily finish as the #1 receiver in .5 PPR or 1 PPR.

He's a little bit of an ADP bargain right now IMO. Not flashy and just doing his business.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

1 hour ago, oresteszero said:

If he was being traded this would be all over the Internet lol. 

Yes it would.

I doubt New Orleans signed him to a new contract making him the highest paid WR in the league, and first non-QB to average $20m/year, to turn around and trade him weeks later.

But I dunno - maybe they're drunk

On 8/26/2019 at 9:07 PM, fawkes_mulder said:

Thomas is in the same tier as Davante Adams and Deandre Hopkins 

no ... he's very good, but - no.

4 minutes ago, affliction said:

Willing to take bets he finishes outside of the top 5 Wrs.

i'm with you 100% on this one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, affliction said:

Willing to take bets he finishes outside of the top 5 Wrs.

And coming from the saints fan. I also agree- those 4-40 games are brutal

• Haha 1

This guy is a beast - his chemistry with Brees is special.  Hopefully he can shore up some of those duds but in the WR landscape, almost all WRs will have some down games but he still elite in PPR formats.

I owned him last year, and he was good, but kind of a disappointment overall as my #1. He had 7 games of 5 rec or less and 9 games with 0 TDs. Maybe this year will be different, though. Yards w/o TDs feels like the normal "good game" for him. TDs were kind of a bonus.

Edited by EaglesRocker97

Man - what terrible news from Brees.  Just have to hope and pray that it isn't long term.

So how are we feeling about him? Clearly a downgrade but still received 11 targets from Bridgewater that game as he was thrown into the fire.  MT was his first read most dropbacks.  MT's game isn't predicated on the deep ball but he is the ultimate possession/PPR guy so might not be big of a downgrade as we think.

Not sure why Taysom Hill wasn't in at QB last night, but whatever. Hopefully Bridgewater can be somewhat decent so that MT can, at the very least, be average. 

I don't think his targets will drop, but his td's probably will.  That being said, I don't think Thomas' outlook changes alot. No one predicted him being a high td guy.  And, I could actually see a scenario where Thomas is alittle better with Bridgewater.  Sounds crazy, I know... But Brees does like to spread it around. Teddy only had eyes for Michael.  We'll see but I'm thinking Brees will be out 4-6 weeks, so not the end of the world for Thomas. He'll get by just fine.  

1 minute ago, ludawg23 said:

Man - what terrible news from Brees.  Just have to hope and pray that it isn't long term.

So how are we feeling about him? Clearly a downgrade but still received 11 targets from Bridgewater that game as he was thrown into the fire.  MT was his first read most dropbacks.  MT's game isn't predicated on the deep ball but he is the ultimate possession/PPR guy so might not be big of a downgrade as we think.

It's a downgrade for sure....

But...It isn't like Bridgewater is total garbage or something.  I mean, he's arguably one of the best backups in the league.  It's probably lowers Thomas' ceiling a bit but I think he'll still be okay.

One of the things I liked about drafting Thomas was the depth of the Saint's QB's.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

So frustrating man...completely fluke injury to Brees and now our 1st/2nd round pick has their upside capped.

I'm not that worried. There was about 100 offensive penalties after Brees went out which really stagnated their whole offense. Bridgewater didn't look amazing but still looked to MT a ton. I expect them to get more in sync after a week of practice.

Not ideal news, but I actually don't think this will end up being a big downgrade for Thomas. Obviously Brees is much better than Teddy, but Thomas is still gonna see a ton of targets. 

4 hours ago, tts42572 said:

I mean, he's arguably one of the best backups in the league.

What is this based on? Surely it can't be his stats/play from his time in Minnesota. 

7 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Not ideal news, but I actually don't think this will end up being a big downgrade for Thomas. Obviously Brees is much better than Teddy, but Thomas is still gonna see a ton of targets. 

Agree with this.  It's not like Thomas gets a ton of downfield targets.   He's perfect for Bridgewater.

Biggest concern would be if teams feel like they can devote more attention to Thomas. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

What is this based on? Surely it can't be his stats/play from his time in Minnesota. 

Based on the fact that Peterman is a part of that backup group? 

Losing Brees definitely drops Thomas down in the rankings a notch or two. However, I think this situation will have a much worse negative impact on Kamara.

3 hours ago, Dislimb said:

Losing Brees definitely drops Thomas down in the rankings a notch or two. However, I think this situation will have a much worse negative impact on Kamara.

This is pretty much my thinking, that teams will start to load the box daring the Saints to beat them with their passing game. Thomas can still get open and Teddy's just competent enough to get him the ball.

Does anyone have his stats once Teddy came in? Seemed like he still got peppered with targets.

• Like 1