squid-jesus

AD worth the risk? WHIR

I am in first place by 17 games in my 9-cat H2H 14-team league atm but three of my best players (Leonard, Irving, Embiid) are always at risk of missing games and don't have great playoff schedules. I have a feeling AD could be a great ROS value since he stated he intends to play out the season for the Pelicans if he isn't dealt by the deadline. I feel threatened by one team only and I want to lock in one more trade to be more confident in what I have for the playoffs. 

I am thinking about making a package involving two or three of Kyrie/Gasol/Mirotic/Zeller/Barton/White for AD + Bazemore or Bagley (getting AD is the important part here). I'm leaning towards offering Kyrie + Gasol + Miro, parlaying even risk of injury/DNPs. 

1) How much does playoff schedule matter for teams like mine? Is trading talent for 3-6 more games over a two-week period worth it?

2) Really the one player I don't want to keep atm whatsoever is Gasol. I doubt most nba teams want to give up assets for one or two years of a 34 year old at $24M per season so my gut feeling is he stays the year with Memphis and gets shut down in March. I am willing to move just him by himself or with a cheap second piece for two average to above-average value players, something I've posted questions about here previously lol. Is hedging the risk of throwing him with a star like Kyrie and another solid piece for the best fantasy player really something that could clinch my season? Like I said, I have a healthy lead on my league mates and haven't lost a matchup yet this season. But I was in a similar position a couple years ago and got my butt kicked in the second round of the playoffs, though the team I had then was not as talented as the one I have now. I just happen to have three excellent players who don't play every game and the feeling that anything could happen to ruin this season worries me. With all this info, what do you think would be an appropriate course of action? 

Here's my full team (as of now) for context. Teams have 15 spots + 2 IL so you'll see some true deep-league names. Listing players by what their primary position is. Many have dual eligibility:

PG: Irving, White, Brogdon

SG/SF: Barton, Porter, PG13, Kawhi, Kurucs, Miles Bridges, Caboclo

PF: Mirotic (IL), Tucker

C: Embiid, Gasol, McGee, Zeller (IL), Mitchell Robinson

Long read, and I appreciate your time. Would love to HIR. Cheers

Edited by squid-jesus
including IL designations
  • Like 1

I would be fine with either side. You are ahead by so much and have such a strong team, but AD is a game changer. Sometimes staying the course works and AD is a risk, but I think in the end, you have to try and get him. If you held, you’d still have an elite team, but I think this deal would solidify your roster as dominant.

please help

http://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/741123-should-i-do-this-deal-100-whir/

• Thanks 1

I would do it.  AD says he will play hard for Gentry until any trade and I believe him.  Every night, he lets the game come to him and you can pretty much count on 30/15/4 with 1-2 3P, 2-3 steals and 2-3 blocks.  Did I mention his great percentages?  On a side note, if you are dumping Kyrie, I would trade Kawhi for a top PG to give your roster and stats some balance.

• Thanks 1

AD may have said he'll play but I wonder though if he really has any say if he'll play again this season if he's not dealt before the deadline? If the Pelicans are out of the playoff race and he has explicitly said he will not re-sign then what incentive does the team have to play him at all? If he gets hurt later in the season it diminishes his offseason trade value

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gymchamp said:

AD may have said he'll play but I wonder though if he really has any say if he'll play again this season if he's not dealt before the deadline? If the Pelicans are out of the playoff race and he has explicitly said he will not re-sign then what incentive does the team have to play him at all? If he gets hurt later in the season it diminishes his offseason trade value

A perspective I've thought of as well. Something to consider

Honestly, sometimes you mess too much with a good thing, it can really backfire. You got a damn good thing there. Why mess with it? I feel like this is a high risk low reward move whatever you do to get AD. If you can get 1-1 with Marc, sure or else no reason to do this at all really 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It all comes down to if you really think he will get traded at the deadline.  If you are positive that he gets dealt then you absolutely make any trade to get him. 
If you think think he stays with the Pels.....then...oh boy......

The thing about AD and the playoffs isnt the schedule, it's the shut down risk.  New Orleans looks like they are open for business, and they could still tank this year and sell off the likes of Randle, Miro, Moore, and Holiday.  If they are sellers and embrace not making the playoffs then I think Davis is almost a lock to miss the final 2-3 weeks of the season at least.  The man goes to the locker room almost every other game and it'd be very easy to play up a minor injury into something that he spends the rest of the season rehabing.
AD is definitely trying to save face with his "I want to play" comments, but if the Pels gave him an out, he'd probably take it after they are out of the playoff race. 

Help with mine?
http://forums.rotoworld.com/topic/741204-mirotic-levert-or-warren-who-do-you-cut-whir/

• Like 1