DerrickHenrysCleats

Josh Gordon 2019 Outlook

12 minutes ago, yahyahtrick said:

Added to injury report per Sleeper. Hopefully it’s nothing. 

Hahaha patriots injury report... 

• Like 1

One would think he's running slow until you see the alternate camera angle. Pats need to get him in space like this more going forward.

JG is a frustrating player to own.  Hard to sit him because of his immense talent and possibility of going off during any game.  But it seems like weeks you put him in the lineup, he disappoints.  And if you sit him on your bench, he goes off.  At least that's how I think about it in my head.  But when you actually look at his game logs, his only true BOOM was November 4th last year against GB when he went 5-130-1 (and of course on my bench which is what I remember).  He has some serviceable games of course but I think many of us are all holding on to that glorious stretch in 2013 when he looked like a first ballot HOFer.

I think this will be the last year I own Josh Gordon, at least in season long.  Best ball would be a different story, as you wouldn't need to try to time the booms before he disappears again like those gophers on Whac-a-Mole.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, CooL said:

JG is a frustrating player to own.  Hard to sit him because of his immense talent and possibility of going off during any game.  But it seems like weeks you put him in the lineup, he disappoints.  And if you sit him on your bench, he goes off.  At least that's how I think about it in my head.  But when you actually look at his game logs, his only true BOOM was November 4th last year against GB when he went 5-130-1 (and of course on my bench which is what I remember).  He has some serviceable games of course but I think many of us are all holding on to that glorious stretch in 2013 when he looked like a first ballot HOFer.

I think this will be the last year I own Josh Gordon, at least in season long.  Best ball would be a different story, as you wouldn't need to try to time the booms before he disappears again like those gophers on Whac-a-Mole.

Well said.  I'm trying to revamp my receiving core and it's hard to hold on to him tbh.  I can't trade him and I feel there are other wide receivers on the waiver I'd almost rather own at this point.

Edited by ThePerfectBeard
  • Like 1

drop the antonio brown game, and gordon has 22 targets, 202 yards and a score in 3 games. not world beater numbers but good for a 1077 & 5.3 TDs. that pace would put him around top 15 in yards last year. he seems like a pretty safe bet for top 20 and if his scoring ticks up, top 12 is within reach.

so im a little surprised at the pessimism in here. what that tells me is that there might be a lot of disgruntled gordon owners out there in your leagues who were hoping he'd be setting the world on fire out of the gate.

that's often a recipe for a great buy low.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, astrongcupofjoel said:

drop the antonio brown game, and gordon has 22 targets, 202 yards and a score in 3 games. not world beater numbers but good for a 1077 & 5.3 TDs. that pace would put him around top 15 in yards last year. he seems like a pretty safe bet for top 20 and if his scoring ticks up, top 12 is within reach.

so im a little surprised at the pessimism in here. what that tells me is that there might be a lot of disgruntled gordon owners out there in your leagues who were hoping he'd be setting the world on fire out of the gate.

Clearly you don't own him...

He sounds great and all until you actually do.  My advice if you do is to not watch the Pats games and just see what you have at end of the game.  You'll keep your hair and save some frustration.  Gordon I'm sure is the most athletic pass catcher that Brady has.  Yet Brady doesn't seem to trust him enough to feed him the ball regularly.  Instead, we see him crushing on Phil Dorsett.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CooL said:

Clearly you don't own him...

He sounds great and all until you actually do.  My advice if you do is to not watch the Pats games and just see what you have at end of the game.  You'll keep your hair and save some frustration.  Gordon I'm sure is the most athletic pass catcher that Brady has.  Yet Brady doesn't seem to trust him enough to feed him the ball regularly.  Instead, we see him crushing on Phil Dorsett.

Sounds great? The poster is stating statistics while throwing out the game where they had Antonio Brown. Not to mention the Bills which gives up the least amount of yards in the NFL over the last 20 games.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, peleincubus said:

Sounds great? The poster is stating statistics while throwing out the game where they had Antonio Brown. Not to mention the Bills which gives up the least amount of yards in the NFL over the last 20 games.

Are saying the same thing?  I said "sounds great and all" which typically means "yeah, everything seems like it should be great BUT..."  My point is that there are many out there who don't own Josh Gordon and really think they want him.  But many a Josh Gordon owner (at least the 2018 and 2019 ones, not the 2013 ones) will tell you that he can be a headache to own.  A headache to own.  And very hard to trade.  Basically a roster clogger.  I wouldn't be surprised if he blew up for a game or two this year.  The hard part is knowing when. So your only option is to keep plugging him in every week for fear of missing out.  And more often than not, as his past history will show, you'll end up only with a mediocre game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

53 minutes ago, astrongcupofjoel said:

I agree.  I think it's premature to start stressing over Gordon who's been a double digit scorer in 2 of his 4 weeks (that's more than Hopkins so far).  I'm not worried about the other 2 weeks.  The Miami game should be completely forgotten about given the way they feed Brown.  Buffalo was a tough match up where he was their leading WR.  

If someone is giving Gordon away, I'm taking advantage of the panic.  I'm more worried about the game scripts on New England's schedule than I am Josh Gordon.  They aren't going to be in many shoot outs which will limit the upside of every single pass catcher on that roster.  

Edited by kevinwayne20

16 minutes ago, CooL said:

Are saying the same thing?  I said "sounds great and all" which typically means "yeah, everything seems like it should be great BUT..."  My point is that there are many out there who don't own Josh Gordon and really think they want him.  But many a Josh Gordon owner (at least the 2018 and 2019 ones, not the 2013 ones) will tell you that he can be a headache to own.  A headache to own.  And very hard to trade.  Basically a roster clogger.  I wouldn't be surprised if he blew up for a game or two this year.  The hard part is knowing when. So your only option is to keep plugging him in every week for fear of missing out.  And more often than not, as his past history will show, you'll end up only with a mediocre game.

Basically this, we’re gonna keep plugging him in and hope for a blow up game. It’s just frustrating that most receivers in the league have had atleast one big game by now, meanwhile Josh freaking Gordon with all the talent in the world and Brady throwing to him...has been mehh at best. I mean he’s not that bad either as your WR3 , won’t kill your week but wont really help you win either. Stuck in Josh Gordon purgatory. This week has to be a get right game for him , and if he disappoints again. I strongly suggest benching till further notice... if you have better options. Thing is most of us don’t , it’s either Josh or a waiver wire dart throw at WR . I mean easy choice right there lol . Bye weeks & injuries haven’t been helping in that regard either. 

so we're ignoring his bad weeks in order to say he's really productive in fantasy so far? J Gordon thread is returning to prime form now 

This must be the wrong Josh Gordon thread.   You start Gordon with confidence EVERY week.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CooL said:

JG is a frustrating player to own.  Hard to sit him because of his immense talent and possibility of going off during any game.  But it seems like weeks you put him in the lineup, he disappoints.  And if you sit him on your bench, he goes off. 

This is so overblown. If there is one game that we shouldn't hold up as an example of what is normal, it's the Patriots playing the Dolphins with Antonio Brown. That game was a fluke and should be written off. It will not be repeated in any way.

Then after that, in PPR, JG is looking at
Week 1: 16.30
Week 3: 14.40
Week 4: 7.60

That is not bad, especially considering that Week 4 might be his toughest matchup of the year on the road. And he has a schedule ahead that should be easy sailing. 

Have fun sitting him.

37 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

Basically this, we’re gonna keep plugging him in and hope for a blow up game. It’s just frustrating that most receivers in the league have had atleast one big game by now, meanwhile Josh freaking Gordon with all the talent in the world and Brady throwing to him...has been mehh at best. I mean he’s not that bad either as your WR3 , won’t kill your week but wont really help you win either. Stuck in Josh Gordon purgatory. This week has to be a get right game for him , and if he disappoints again. I strongly suggest benching till further notice... if you have better options. Thing is most of us don’t , it’s either Josh or a waiver wire dart throw at WR . I mean easy choice right there lol . Bye weeks & injuries haven’t been helping in that regard either. 

Yes.  Completely agree.  Unless you were able to get lucky early with a Terry McLaurin (and even not right now considering his health), there's probably not many attractive waiver wire receivers out there who you will have more confidence in over Josh Gordon (8 and 10 team leagues excluded).  So we have no choice but to keep putting him in there and crossing our fingers.  But he's got an aging quarterback, a game plan that changes week to week, competition for targets from Edelman and White (who presumably are easier to complete to for Brady), this inexplicable bromance between Dorsett and Brady, the list goes on an on.  It could be worse though.  He could be back on drugs and suspended.  But I don't think I'll ever draft him again.

42 minutes ago, Guwop said:

so we're ignoring his bad weeks in order to say he's really productive in fantasy so far? J Gordon thread is returning to prime form now 

I think people gave reasoning to not panic about the one dud. And if anything I’ve seen as many overreactions as reasonable posts.

35 minutes ago, Guwop said:

nope. no need to ignore it.

but... no need to act like antonio brown will be a patriot all season long either.

considering how gordon's performed without AB on the field, i feel pretty confident that gordon will end up closer to 1077 yards this season than 884 (his pace if the AB game is included).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CitizenJ said:

This is so overblown. If there is one game that we shouldn't hold up as an example of what is normal, it's the Patriots playing the Dolphins with Antonio Brown. That game was a fluke and should be written off. It will not be repeated in any way.

Then after that, in PPR, JG is looking at
Week 1: 16.30
Week 3: 14.40
Week 4: 7.60

That is not bad, especially considering that Week 4 might be his toughest matchup of the year on the road. And he has a schedule ahead that should be easy sailing. 

Have fun sitting him.

I will so far in 12 team 1/2 ppr he's 46th which means there are enough options that have performed better to warrant him being benched. I don't see a problem with it if their rosters permit (which most in here should given they took him late enough to have decent WR options)

I’m curious as to what drugs Gordon was in trouble for, does anybody know exactly what drugs he was doing. As far as the player.  I strongly think that his god given talent is undeniable and he just needs more opportunities, if he were to start getting 10+ targets a game he would quickly be inside the top 10 wr.  As far as I know this guy is showing up every day with a good attitude and strong work ethic. People seem to be disappointed Gordon isn’t acting like a punk like AB, or ole school TO.  All he needs is a few more looks a game and we’re golden

6 minutes ago, Guwop said:

I will so far in 12 team 1/2 ppr he's 46th which means there are enough options that have performed better to warrant him being benched. I don't see a problem with it if their rosters permit (which most in here should given they took him late enough to have decent WR options)

In full PPR, he is #47.  Paul freaking Richardson is ahead of him.  I hope there are sunnier days ahead for Josh Gordon.  But it gets frustrating to own this guy who most would say is a top 5-10 physical talent as far as WRs go.  But he's just not utilized properly and doesn't garner the looks that we feel he should.  But what do we know, we are just fake footballers.  If I were the Hoodie, I'd throw to Gordon all the time. 

16 minutes ago, Krambone said:

I’m curious as to what drugs Gordon was in trouble for, does anybody know exactly what drugs he was doing. As far as the player.  I strongly think that his god given talent is undeniable and he just needs more opportunities, if he were to start getting 10+ targets a game he would quickly be inside the top 10 wr.  As far as I know this guy is showing up every day with a good attitude and strong work ethic. People seem to be disappointed Gordon isn’t acting like a punk like AB, or ole school TO.  All he needs is a few more looks a game and we’re golden

I believe just marijuana. Once in the program you can't do alcohol either, but he got popped for that too. He's admitted to Xanax, blow, lean (but he only admitted to the cough syrup not the concoction).

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/20/josh-gordon-drug-abuse-suspensions-timeline-patriots-browns

Wow he was lit. 

• Thanks 1

I would like to assign some blame to game-scripts and Brady not throwing the ball as much but they are still averaging 36 attempts per game. Granted the game-scripts have some impact on play selection and the types of throws, but it is still somewhat concerning that he is not being targeted more. 

Minus the Antonio Brown game, he is averaging roughly 7 targets per game; about a 19% target share. Respectable, sure, but I think most were hoping and expecting more. 

I still think better days are ahead and Josh will at the very least return draft day value (assuming no suspensions). 

42 minutes ago, Krambone said:

I’m curious as to what drugs Gordon was in trouble for, does anybody know exactly.

Watch his undisputed youtube documentary. Alcohol, coke, xanax, codeine, and weed. He grew up using and his coaches enabled him until he got to the NFL.