DerrickHenrysCleats

Josh Gordon 2019 Outlook

9 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Now that i've calmed down I may as well give some real insight.

Seattle is not a perfect landing spot but it's still a very good one. Wilson has an incredible deep ball. Arguably the best in the NFL and Gordon is a great deep threat. I think Metcalf is great but he was really forced into a role that he is not 100% ready for and it showed at times. Drops, miscommunication, and etc. Don't get me wrong, I think DK will be an incredible WR and one of the steals of the draft but he is just not ready of this moment to take the volume he has been given. 

I believe DK will become fairly irrelevant in fantasy this year and Gordon should slide into a productive role. Get ready for some amazing bombs from Wilson to Gordon.

I LIKE IT.....let's just stash and see here in a few weeks.

2 minutes ago, HOF12 said:

Excited about this for sure. Pete Carroll will bring out the best in him 

Carroll is an amazing fit for Gordon. It just may be the type of environment he needs.

Extremely supportive, uplifting, and encouraging coach. The entire culture he creates reflects that and it is exactly what a guy like Gordon needs. 

Just now, StevenSC400 said:

This is a very good landing spot. Idk why some of you are complaining. Wilson loves to air the ball out, their defense isn’t the best, they have no true red zone threat and they don’t have a true #1 WR. Locket is just a fill in. DK isn’t ready yet. You guys are also worried about volume? Wilson is the most efficient passer in the nfl right now. Volume isn’t everything. Gordon is going to get quality passes thrown to him. And I’m not even huge on him but this situation is way better than the pats and better than most other landing spots. 

Yup way better than what he was in already. Check down brady is in love with Edelman. That and he always checks down 

6 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Fair. There are some teams that are surprising for sure (Packers, Chargers, Lions, etc). My point was just that teams high on the waiver list had no use for him. 

My point is, I think you are incorrect.  I'm betting his agent made it known where he wanted to go.

There are 2-3 teams tanking.  For most teams he's worth it just for the comp pick, if not the depth.  Also consider the help he'd provide to some of the 26 QBs on that list.    Most teams should have jumped at a shot at him, as it's a extremely low risk contract and you have a shot at a comp pick eventually when he signs somewhere else.  

Most contending teams would do this just to block another team in their division...some type of shenanigans are at hand.

Edited by Iron-cock

9 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

NFL teams are dumb. I fail to understand how Seattle and NE gets away with robbery after robbery. 

I was thinking the same when Hunt was released and surprised that Cleveland took a shot 

I mentioned this before in this thread but if Gordon is still even 80% of the player he was he only needs 5-7 quality targets to be fantasy relevant. DK Metcalf is almost a WR2 with under 3 receptions a game. I LOVE DK metcalf. However, as of now he is no Josh Gordon. If Gordon can get 4 receptions a game (not asking much) being a deep threat from the best deep ball QB in the NFL he is a lock for WR2 production. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Iron-cock said:

My point is, I think you are incorrect.  I'm betting his agent made it known where he wanted to go.

There are 2-3 teams tanking.  For most teams he's worth it just for the comp pick, if not the depth.  Or the help he'd provide to most of the 26 QBs on that list.    Most teams should have jumped at a shot at him, as it's a extremely low risk contract and you have a shot at a comp pick eventually when he signs somewhere else.  

I doubt this, but I guess it's possible. Occam's Razor though. I think other teams just decided he wasn't worth it. Whether that's the right call or not is debatable. 

I would imagine he gets quite a few of Dissly’s old redzone routes

1 minute ago, HOF12 said:

Yup way better than what he was in already. Check down brady is in love with Edelman. That and he always checks down 

That’s the thing. He didn’t really fit with the pats cause everything is a system there. Perfect timing routes short quick passes (Edelman). While people talk bad about Brady’s arm I don’t think that’s the reason Gordon didn’t succeed. Brady just can’t create and extend plays on his own. The guy is a statue if it isn’t there he has to get rid of it quick. Russ Wilson is going to extend plays all day long.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Carroll is an amazing fit for Gordon. It just may be the type of environment he needs.

Extremely supportive, uplifting, and encouraging coach. The entire culture he creates reflects that and it is exactly what a guy like Gordon needs. 

Oh I’m already knowing. I’m from LA and we loved him at SC. 

Great to see Gordon with a coach like Pete. I’m sure Russell Wilson will enjoy having Gordon there. 

im not hopeful. But Seattle should be more hopeful in reality than i am in fantasy. He'll be a solid asset as long as healthy and "not high" in that offense. Metcalf being an early draft pick im not convinced he immediately takes his role or the bulk of his targets. The best takeaway as mentioned is that he pairs with one of the best arms and deep balls in the game. But lack of volume will make him an upside WR3 every week and that is an all out best case scenario barring some crazy slew of injuries, and even upside WR3 status is weeks away IF that pans out where you'll be throwing him out there in the fantasy playoffs. He's droppable in high bench leagues depending players avail, but still extremely stashable.

At least more happened today after 4pm than at the trade deadline.

• Like 2

After thinking a bit, I like it. He very likely supplants DK in all 2 WR sets and in 3 WR they both could move outside and let Lockett be in slot.

He is going to a much better QB for him.

The schedule is really lovely after wk 11 BYE: at PHI, MIN, LAR, at CAR and ARZ...all teams that give up points to WRs and also have pretty good offenses to keep up too. The issue is the very meh coordinator that has often went way to conservative, but there were a TON worse situations that Gordon could have ended up in.

Just now, ST. STEVEN said:

After thinking a bit, I like it. He very likely supplants DK in all 2 WR sets and in 3 WR they both could move outside and let Lockett be in slot.

He is going to a much better QB for him.

The schedule is really lovely after wk 11 BYE: at PHI, MIN, LAR, at CAR and ARZ...all teams that give up points to WRs and also have pretty good offenses to keep up too. The issue is the very meh coordinator that has often went way to conservative, but there were a TON worse situations that Gordon could have ended up in.

Honestly, this is the least conservative Seattle offense since Carroll came in. They are still a top 5 team in run % but a lot of it has been to setup huge shots down the field rather than to just run the ball. This works perfectly for Gordon.

• Like 1

To me it seems like a better move for Seattle than for fantasy teams.  It's just often tough on WRs that switch teams.  And tough seeing Gotdon getting much volume when even Lockett struggles for volume.

• Like 1

Just now, Gohawks said:

Honestly, this is the least conservative Seattle offense since Carroll came in. They are still a top 5 team in run % but a lot of it has been to setup huge shots down the field rather than to just run the ball. This works perfectly for Gordon.

Yeah that is true. Russ is just so awesome, would love to see him throw even more. He makes at least 1 blitzer miss and can really chuck a huge loft deep ball.

As you said, it really suits Gordon well. Dude still is plenty fast, just seems to take a bit longer getting up to speed. I like that fit a bunch.

As someone who has J. Gordon and DK Metcalf in a few leagues, I don't know how I feel about this.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chest-Rockwell said:

"........And as for the Seahawks, that's another potential suitor where, not only can I conceivably imagine it taking shape, but one that I believe would also sport realistic potential to actually bear fruit. Seattle, as always, is right in the thick of things in the NFC; and they, too, ain't exactly swimming in wide receiver depth. Their head coach also happens to be as about as rah-rah, touchy-feely, talent-coddley, supportive types as it gets (at least theoretically, a good match for a guy with Gordon's baggage). But above all, similarly to the Eagles, Seattle possesses a QB who is not only is a big fan of the forward pass of the long ball variety, but also the one who arguably does it better than anyone else on the planet. If Seattle is where Josh Gordon indeed lands, I'm pretty confident he will at least be afforded the opportunities to make an impact with Seahawks that he wasn't in New England...y'know, with his targets from Wilson actually being of the catchable variety and such, unlike old man Brady.

Long story short...

Seahawks

landing spot plausibility:  strong to quite strong

chance of impact in 2019 if landed:  better than most

..........."

Alright!  Found something for a change that I took the time to speculate with a "take" on that wasn't an actual complete waste of my - along with everyone else's - time for me to give a speculative take on (although, make no mistake, still by and large a waste of time).  Now, whether or not this "at the time speculative, but now actually relevant for once!" take of mine is worth even half a damn, let alone one full singular damn (and I'd lean towards doubt it, probably not), is neither here nor there.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Idoolittle said:

As someone who has J. Gordon and DK Metcalf in a few leagues, I don't know how I feel about this.

DK has very little value after this week. That is my .02

I see him having some occasional deep shots down the field, but nothing consistent.  Week 9 not playing, Week 10 SF, Week 11 bye.  So you have weeks 12-16.  You're holding him for the playoff stretch run.  If you're a team fighting to get in, I think he's of no use to you.  If you're sitting at 6-2 or 7-1 and have them room, take a shot.  

I've dated him so much in the past seasons that I've finally broken up and channeling some Taylor Swift - "We are never ever getting back together."  Good luck to the JG owners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 teams passed on signing the best WR at breaking tackles in the NFL this season, who would likely get them a comp pick....for only $670,000.

spacer.png

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Like 1

Gordon is past his prime as a fantasy impact player. He's a bench WR and shouldn't be in ant starting lineups unless it's 16 teams.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

27 teams passed on signing the best WR at breaking tackles in the NFL this season, who would likely get them a comp pick....for only 1M.

spacer.png

dat 15% drop rate for Gallup, tho 

:wacko:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

27 teams passed on signing the best WR at breaking tackles in the NFL this season, who would likely get them a comp pick....for only $670,000.

spacer.png

Do Jonnu who Smith is? Because I sure as hell don’t. 

49 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

It would be great for fantasy football if the Seahawks realized they have one of the most accurate passers in the league and they should throw more...

but my gut feeling is that isn't happening.