Motown_Magic

Jack Flaherty 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Looked really good today against a great lineup. Excited to see his development ROS. Ceiling could be a Snell/Nola type breakout

• Like 1

Command was very encouraging last night.

FB averaged 95 MPH and had very nice movement, threw 44/33 for strikes with 23 swings and 3 whiffs

SL was clear secondary, and sat 85 MPH with awesome dive/dart action, threw 33/26 for strikes with 23 swings and 7 whiffs

CU was other main secondary and I like the velo separation at 79 MPH, sharp 12-6 movement, threw 15/6 for strikes with 5 swings and 1 whiff

Barely mixed in a sinker and a CH, I hope we can see more of the CU because it looks decent and keeps hitters from sitting on FB/SL if command waivers. I have a hard time seeing a Snell/Nola type of breakout, but it is in the range of outcomes. Really prob looking at a sub ace type, but a very useful one for our purposes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brutally bad start tonight vs MIL: 2.2 IP, 9 H, 5 ER.... he's given up 16 hits and 9 runs in 7 innings vs MIL this year (2 starts).

17 minutes ago, rdf8585 said:

Brutally bad start tonight vs MIL: 2.2 IP, 9 H, 5 ER.... he's given up 16 hits and 9 runs in 7 innings vs MIL this year (2 starts).

So you’re saying sit him against the brewers 

I know its super early but I must admit i'm a bit down on him. Always seems to get into the 3-2 count and just seems like he leaves a lot over the plate for guys to hit. Can't seem to grab the corners enough. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

Disappointing but not completely unexpected. At Milwaukee might be the toughest start in the league nowadays

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

I know its super early but I must admit i'm a bit down on him. Always seems to get into the 3-2 count and just seems like he leaves a lot over the plate for guys to hit. Can't seem to grab the corners enough. 

He can't spot the Curve very well. He can spot the slider okay, but he doesn't throw either pitch consistently for strikes enough. Hitters can sit back on fastball, foul off a lot of fastballs in the zone, and wait to walk or get a mistake. IMO, he needs to work on adding a wrinkle or gaining much more command with his breaking balls and throwing them for strikes if he wants to take steps forward this year. 

• Like 2

Can buy Flaherty for practically nothing right now. I'm in some 26+ standard sized leagues (12 team, 23 man rosters) and was able to trade for him in about 12 of them 1-for-1 for players like Greg Holland. Definite buy right NOW.

I'm not 100% sure he can turn it around as Taobball points out the grim other side, but just 3 weeks ago Flaherty was going for $20 in auctions while players like Holland were going for $1. I'm buying and expecting Jack to right the ship and be my SP2. 

1 minute ago, CrypTviLL said:

Can buy Flaherty for practically nothing right now. I'm in some 26+ standard sized leagues (12 team, 23 man rosters) and was able to trade for him in about 12 of them 1-for-1 for players like Greg Holland. Definite buy right NOW.

I'm not 100% sure he can turn it around as Taobball points out the grim other side, but just 3 weeks ago Flaherty was going for $20 in auctions while players like Holland were going for $1. I'm buying and expecting Jack to right the ship and be my SP2. 

I mean let's also be clear here: Flaherty was like my SP30? It's not like I shat the guy down to SP54. I just thought his price at SP20 is ridiculous. To many he was a safe SP2 with upside of being a low-end SP1. I've seen bold predictions that had him winning the Cy. To me he was an SP3 with chance to become an SP2 but chance to also fall back to an SP4. His stuff is nasty. He's just not a pitcher right now. He's a thrower. He's learning & improving, but it's a process. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CrypTviLL said:

Is fantasy baseball your full time job?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He also has faced an extremely tough offense top to bottom twice now.  Supposed to face them a third time Monday (ugh).  I'll reserve judgment 

• Like 1

3rd time in this going young season where  he’s facing a Brewer’s lineup that has his number.  Can he please face another team that he can dominate? 

He's at home. Cards are -160. O/U is 8.5 or 9. I don't love it but I'm rolling him out there. Milwaukee hasn't been quite as formidable on the road (21st in road OPS).

Yeah both of Flaherty's blow-ups against them have come in MIL.  He was great against the Dodgers at home.  Hopefully get can have some success today and get some confidence against this lineup.  That said, he is riding my bench today lol.

starting with confidence. i like to live dangerously.

• Like 1

Yeah I think Jack comes back to good stuff this week. Honestly, the brewer lineup is littered with black holes...if this STL cards manager continues to let his guys throw anything close to Yeli then he's an even bigger moron then it appears.

I guess there's two ways to look his start tonight:  6 INN, 3 HA, BBI, 10 K, 4 ER

You could say it's encouraging because it was his best start out of 3(!) already against Milwaukee. The other two were total clunkers, especially the last one.

Or you could say it was incredibly disappointing. He was perfect through 4 tonight so his final line is a letdown in that sense.

He was also one strike away from a QS but Grandal homered and ruined that. For people in QS leagues, that hurts.

Edited by rdf8585
  • Like 1

The Brewers are tough for him, but I'll take the 10K's and a W.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rdf8585 said:

I guess there's two ways to look his start tonight:  6 INN, 3 HA, BBI, 10 K, 4 ER

You could say it's encouraging because it was his best start out of 3(!) already against Milwaukee. The other two were total clunkers, especially the last one.

Or you could say it was incredibly disappointing. He was perfect through 4 tonight so his final line is a letdown in that sense.

He was also one strike away from a QS but Grandal homered and ruined that. For people in QS leagues, that hurts.

I actually think this is spot on. I think it's disappointing that he had the game he had including containing Christian Yelich and happened to make three mistakes that cost him 4 Runs. He was more efficient than normal throughout the night and, for the most part, seemed to spot his fastball well. The problem is that he's the guy, to me, where sometimes things break right and sometimes they don't completely, and it really stinks that they broke right today and he didn't get a truly good start to show for it. 

Getting 10 K's in the third go-round with the Brewers in under 30 days has me very optimistic. They're a very good lineup

• Like 1

I'll take it.  May this team please be in his rear view for some time.

• Like 1

His FB/SL combo was kicking as per usual when his command is moderately sharp...

I was encouraged by the uptick in CH/CU last night, esp when seeing a team for the 3rd time in a few weeks, important to not be so predictable.

CH is/was awfully firm at over 88 MPH but offers a solid dart action, threw 8--3 for strikes and 1 whiff

CU at least has more velo separation at 79 MPH, very sweet 12-6 horizontal movement, threw 14--7 for strikes and 2 whiffs

7 hours ago, BIGFLY4MIKETROUT said:

Anyone optimistic with his numbers going forward?

Is he going to be anywhere near last year's numbers?

Not worried at all with him. He’s the least of my concerns on a team full of jokers and underperformers

What’s all your thoughts? Someone I should trade for?