Motown_Magic

Jack Flaherty 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

12 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

What’s all your thoughts? Someone I should trade for?

Yikes! Gonna take at least back to back VERY solid starts for me to even consider starting this bum again. He’s a coin flip guy at this point. If you think you can pick out when he’s going to be good I guess go for it. Personally I think he’s hot garbage.

3 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

Yikes! Gonna take at least back to back VERY solid starts for me to even consider starting this bum again. He’s a coin flip guy at this point. If you think you can pick out when he’s going to be good I guess go for it. Personally I think he’s hot garbage.

I’m going to roll him out there every time. He’s a great pitcher and his numbers will even out. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have him projected to throw @ATL(14th) @TEX( 19th) 

vs ATL (26th)

vs CHC and then at @CHC

Those are what I think will be his next 5 starts , those obviously may change slightly. 

So I guess if your out on him then you will be making some tough choices for the next 3 weeks on someone you most likely drafted top 85ish maybe higher. 

On 5/6/2019 at 8:33 AM, molski said:

Not worried at all with him. He’s the least of my concerns on a team full of jokers and underperformers

Time to drop this guy in all formats?

• Haha 1

Is he a hold in QS leagues?  Only 2 so far this season is a bit of a killer.

The signs were there.....He had some luck last season 

13 hours ago, beauso79 said:

The signs were there.....He had some luck last season 

Care to elaborate?

On 5/6/2019 at 8:33 AM, molski said:

Not worried at all with him. He’s the least of my concerns on a team full of jokers and underperformers

19 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

What’s all your thoughts? Someone I should trade for?

8 starts in and his K/9 is at 10.2 (10.8 last year) but his BB/9 is 2.81 (3.5 last year).  Also, 3 of his 8 games were against Milwaukee

I really like Flaherty for this year & beyond, my only hesitation is he hasn't been very efficient - he's averaging just a little over 5 innings per start this season and it just seems like every time I check the box score mid-game, whether he's pitching well or not, he's at something like 75 pitches through 4.  I suspect that has a lot to do with being fastball/slider almost 85% of the time.

i just wonder if it's a confidence thing.  so many times this season, it seems like he gets a hitter in an 0-2 count and they work it back to a walk or a hit.

he tends to start nibbling and once he does that it leads to trouble

from RB....

5 IP, 3 ER, 7 baserunners, 2 Ks, ERA at 4.32.  Flaherty can get your everywhere, except to six shutout innings, apizzarently.  Looking at his peripherals, and he appears to be a solid buy-low opportunity — Flahertunity?  His 10.2 K/9, 2.8 BB/9, 3.55 xFIP tells me he should be as good as he was last year when he had a 3.34 ERA in 150+ IP.  Buy, suckas!

• Like 1

Are we rolling him out there today? I feel beaten from all these bad starts

19 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Oh yeah! Starting with zero confidence. 

My just gut tells me he’s a JAG

21 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

absolutely.

58 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

I definitely am I think he’ll bounce back tonight. He should get some run support as well.

Ugly win.  Had the lead for most of the game and only threw 61/109 (56%) of his pitches for strikes.  5 walks.  THREE of them coming after an 11-0 lead, and he walked in a run.  That is just mind-numbingly frustrating.

b2b starts vs cubs. @chc today. not feeling good about this. still starting him but have nice ratio lead (for now)

Edited by colepenhagen

8 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

b2b starts vs cubs. @chc today. not feeling good about this. still starting him but have nice ratio lead (for now)

He looked good last start. Gave up 2 homers, but he was really on it besides that. I’m not overly concerned. I see a 7 inning 3 run game 

done with this moron. era and whip are bad. strikeouts are good. could do a better job steaming pitcher for his roster slot.

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2019 at 7:25 PM, mlb2019 said:

done with this moron. era and whip are bad. strikeouts are good. could do a better job steaming pitcher for his roster slot.

I've gotta admit, I'm getting pretty sick of him, too. <_<

Edited by Bandito

4 hours ago, Bandito said:

I've gotta admit, I'm getting pretty sick of him, too. <_<

he is like chris Archer. over a strikeout per inning but who cares when you get shelled.

Honestly the more of his games I watch the more apparent it is that he’s too in love with trying to get nasty strikeouts. He’s great at getting two strikes but he does what you sometimes see fringe ace pitchers that are young do and gets too obvious. Hitters work there way back into counts with him because they know they’re getting junk in the next zip code on 1-2 or a 0-2 count. Until he learns how to finish guys off he’ll be in a rut.

I've been digesting his data all season and basically after his first 4 or so starts, I've contended it's not what I consider to be an 'ace-type' package...could it be? Maybe...if he can somehow harness that knuckle-curve, but he's seemingly ditched the change and is still toying with his traditional curve yet too...all in all it's FB/SL and if the command is off on one, then we can see what happens. I like him plenty, but far too many had sky-high expectations imo.

He walks too many guys which gets him in trouble, because he's not that good anyway. This i reminds me of Luke Weaver all over again, has a good half year when he comes up then the next year with big expectations he can't get it done

42 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

He walks too many guys which gets him in trouble, because he's not that good anyway. This i reminds me of Luke Weaver all over again, has a good half year when he comes up then the next year with big expectations he can't get it done

yea i wonder if it's something with the cards pitching philosophy these days.

you mention weaver who last year looked terrible, then gets moved to ARI where he looks like a burgeoning ace.

• Like 1