Ecofolux

Giancarlo Stanton 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Who knows at this point

Edited by murraygd13

44 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

We still thinking he may return in August?  Yanks have no timetable, and some league playoffs start in 3 weeks.  Cutting bait may be an option.

As long as I have an open IL spot I will continue to hold.  If I have other players who need the spot, I would seriously consider cutting at this point.  Hasn't even resumed any baseball activities yet.  Considering he had like 2-3 setbacks during his last recovery, it isn't even guaranteed that he makes it through this rehab without any issues.  

• Thanks 1

Coming up on the trade deadline for a lot of leagues - what are dynasty owners doing? Seems like a terrible time to try to sell an asset but I suppose you might could get something to help you for the playoffs based off the name brand value. 

2 hours ago, Tugginroot said:

We still thinking he may return in August?  Yanks have no timetable, and some league playoffs start in 3 weeks.  Cutting bait may be an option.

August is probably an inconvenience for big stiff.  I’d prepare for September return.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, hgh22 said:

Coming up on the trade deadline for a lot of leagues - what are dynasty owners doing? Seems like a terrible time to try to sell an asset but I suppose you might could get something to help you for the playoffs based off the name brand value. 

I'm in the same boat....considering some win-now type offers but not selling for pennies. 

With power so plentiful and the long injury history, it's tough to get anywhere close to full value

Let's say he does not make it back this year. Is he still Top 100 ranked for 2020 draft? What do you think?

16 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Let's say he does not make it back this year. Is he still Top 100 ranked for 2020 draft? What do you think?

Of course

12 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Top 100?   He 100% will be.   I'd venture to guess he could still go in the 30's in some places, but probably more likely in the 40 to 60 range at this point.  He had an off year last year and still went 30+/100/100.  We all know the concerns and risks but people see him and think 50 bombs then jump the shark on draft day.   I took him in one 12 teamer this year in the 3rd round.  I never draft this guy cuz his 3 category production is never worth his draft price.  This was a points league so the value in the 30's was totally there.  Unless he plays 8 games and your into August.....

I'd take any player at the right price, but I'm sure Stanton will get drafted by someone in the 4th to 6th round even if he doesn't come back this year. 

When’s the last time someone basically missed the entire season and only dropped a round or two?  Power seems to grow on trees.  Would you rather have Peter Alonso or Big Stiff?  Ohtani, Goldy, Matt Chapman?  Hoskins, Yordan, Rizzo?  

Hes probably going to be a 5th or 6th rounder in 12 teamers.  Somewhere in the 50-70 range with his name keeping him from dropping too far.

The more I think about it, this guy is going to be over drafted.  I’d rather just wait and get a franmil reyes, renfroe, Kepler, or soler.  Someone who will give me power numbers and I don’t have to worry about pulling a muscle while trying to power clean a Buick.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

The more I think about it, this guy is going to be over drafted.  I’d rather just wait and get a franmil reyes, renfroe, Kepler, or soler.  Someone who will give me power numbers and I don’t have to worry about pulling a muscle while trying to power clean a Buick.

Maybe, but he should not drop lower than 50-60 overall imo.  The numbers when healthy simply would not warrant that.  A lot of guys are injury risks and before this season Stanton was not considered overly injury prone outside of the one freak beaning incident.  There are always guys that break out year to year that you get round 12-18 or so.  And then there are guys that bust from the early rounds like J. Ramirez, Matt Carpenter, Benintendi, etc.  If you could predict which ones would do what with accuracy, you would win every league every year.  You can't and all you can do is go by the track record.

Gian has played in the mlb for 10 years.  Pretty impressive.  We forget me made his debut at 20.  Of those 10 years he’s played, he’s played 140 games or more 4 years.  Give him a mulligan for year 1 and that’s half his seasons he’s missed significant time.  He also was a bit of a windmill last year striking out 211 times.  Next year he’ll be in the wrong side of 30.  It would be fun to see him in yankee stadium playing with juice balls.  Maybe if he comes back soon and salvages some of the 2nd half, he’ll entice some owners enough to take him early.  Unfortunate he’s missed a prime year to injury.

It's crazy how things can change in 2 years. After his 2017 season and he was heading to NYY, his value was at its peak (I should've traded him then) and now his value is at its bottom.

All the injuries this year suggest an aging fragile overjacked body that lacks flexibility. (Will NYY make him an exclusive DH?) Yet the dangling carrot of 50 homers looks so enticing. 

2 hours ago, papasmurf said:

It's crazy how things can change in 2 years. After his 2017 season and he was heading to NYY, his value was at its peak (I should've traded him then) and now his value is at its bottom.

All the injuries this year suggest an aging fragile overjacked body that lacks flexibility. (Will NYY make him an exclusive DH?) Yet the dangling carrot of 50 homers looks so enticing. 

Are you saying you smurfed him?

Cannot take cred for this one. He been on my team since the beginning. But then again... If he wasnt on my team maybe by now he would already have a HOF resume.

I can stoo dimaggio"s streak dead. Anytime. Smurf touch.

1 hour ago, lehighterp said:

Is this bum coming back before fantasy playoffs end? 

seriously.  i need more strikeouts in my league

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

If MLB doesn't do something about the juiced balls, Stanton really doesn't offer much relative upside given the injury risk. I don't imagine a playoff quality team really NEEDS him.

For example, my team has like 245 homers in a 16 team league and I am third in HRs with no Stanton. With Stanton in previous years, I was barely cracking 200 for the full season but was still doing very well in homers. 

The power is not that valuable anymore. Everyone's hitting them.

18 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

If MLB doesn't do something about the juiced balls, Stanton really doesn't offer much relative upside given the injury risk. I don't imagine a playoff quality team really NEEDS him.

For example, my team has like 245 homers in a 16 team league and I am third in HRs with no Stanton. With Stanton in previous years, I was barely cracking 200 for the full season but was still doing very well in homers. 

Good points but he still has value. In my 12 teamer if he returns I will replace Osuna with Stanton. Osuna is a 20-25 HR pace guy so Stanton is a substantial upgrade in power.

44 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Watching Stanton rot in my DL slot this particular season has really hurt.  In that stadium, with a year in the AL under his belt, with the juiced ball ... I'm guessing we would have seen 60 as a floor.  

Edited by Overlord

Well the positive for his future health care is he won’t ever need a heart transplant, because there isn’t one in there.  Most gutless professional season from an athlete I’ve ever seen.  Somehow found a way to miss an entire season.  Like someone said above in reference to juiced balls, this dude is bound to be massively overrated in fantasy next year.  Let him be someone else’s problem.  Just a joke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Boone says could return next week.
Yep, crickets. No one gives a **** cuz it's too little too late.