Sign in to follow this  
parrothead

Nathan Eovaldi 2019 Outlook

Anyone care to speculate wildly on whether this might be a permanent move beyond this year? Obviously it depends how he performs, but I expect him to do well.

Eovaldi as Red Sox closer for the rest of that contract would be an intriguing dynasty asset. If he returns to the rotation next year, not so much.

6 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Anyone care to speculate wildly on whether this might be a permanent move beyond this year? Obviously it depends how he performs, but I expect him to do well.

Eovaldi as Red Sox closer for the rest of that contract would be an intriguing dynasty asset. If he returns to the rotation next year, not so much.

He should be a good arm either way.  The stats the poster above you quoted were in years of injuries and pitching through same.  He will be great at either position if he remains healthy because his stuff is filthy when he is fit. 

He wants to start and he re-signed with Boston because that is what they promised him.  But things happen.  And if he flourishes as a closer maybe he can be convinced to want to close especially if he becomes convinced that will keep him healthy for a longer career.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He should be a good arm either way.  The stats the poster above you quoted were in years of injuries and pitching through same.  He will be great at either position if he remains healthy because his stuff is filthy when he is fit. 

He wants to start and he re-signed with Boston because that is what they promised him.  But things happen.  And if he flourishes as a closer maybe he can be convinced to want to close especially if he becomes convinced that will keep him healthy for a longer career.

that stats that were quoted were career stats, so if you are saying he hasnt been healthy since coming into the league in 2011/2012, that doesnt bode very well for dynasty leagues or the length of his contract with the sox....

How many people here are just upset they didn't get him

• Haha 1

Was just said he isn’t necessarily the closer but that he will be in the bullpen to help. So maybe he does get some high leverage situations but sounds to me like he’s just joining the committee party. 

“We’re about to find out if he is built for high leverage situations, this is a new role for him. Eovaldi will embrace it. We will take care of him. Funny, everyone is saying closer…but he’ll help in the bullpen. Haven’t made that decision.”

- Alex Cora 

He’s worth a speculative add but seeing as how the Sox have handled their bullpen I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s bounced around the 7-9 innings. 

1 hour ago, herschel said:

that stats that were quoted were career stats, so if you are saying he hasnt been healthy since coming into the league in 2011/2012, that doesnt bode very well for dynasty leagues or the length of his contract with the sox....

Yes he had problems in his early days.  Everyone knows that.  From wikipedia:

On August 16, 2016, it was announced that Eovaldi would miss the remainder of the 2016 season due to a torn flexor tendon and partially-torn ulnar collateral ligament in his pitching (right) elbow.  Several days later, the Yankees announced that Eovaldi had undergone his second Tommy John surgery.  With the 2016 Yankees, Eovaldi made 24 appearances (21 starts), registering a 9–8 record with 4.76 ERA in 124 2⁄3 innings pitched. He was expected to miss the 2017 season, after which he would have become eligible for free agency. On November 23, the Yankees released Eovaldi.

On February 14, 2017, Eovaldi signed a one-year, $2 million contract with the Tampa Bay Rays; the contract included a $2 million club option for the 2018 season. Eovaldi missed the entire 2017 season due to recovery from his prior elbow surgery.

That is why he is so much older while pitching like a younger pitcher with all that velocity.  His arm has had a few years off. He is a younger, fireballer version of Rich Hill without the blisters.  And even two Tommy Johns have become somewhat common let alone one where it is almost a must with half the pitchers these days.

And Eovaldi is absolutely perfect for dynasties where you need to totally avoid stocking up on TOO many prospect and first and second year guys.  Dynasty baseball is all about keeping a pipeline flowing from great vets to promising youngsters.  Never get it out of balance with too many younger players.  Especially pitchers who take 3 or 4 years to settle in a lot of times. You can pick up pitchers later where prospect hounds rage drop them just about the time they are about to start to pitch well, heh.

And a good deal for the Sox where they knew if he didn't work out as a starter that a closer was Plan B.  Contract was a good deal for both sides.

On 7/2/2019 at 3:50 PM, HaloFanatic17 said:

“We’re about to find out if he is built for high leverage situations, this is a new role for him. Eovaldi will embrace it. We will take care of him. Funny, everyone is saying closer…but he’ll help in the bullpen. Haven’t made that decision.”

- Alex Cora 

He’s worth a speculative add but seeing as how the Sox have handled their bullpen I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s bounced around the 7-9 innings. 

Any idea how many relief appearances before Nate is relief eligible on ESPN?  Picked him up because of the massive save potential but I'm wondering how long I have to wait before I can slot him in a relief role.

5 minutes ago, jnormy said:

Has there been an anticipated return date posted anywhere for Eovaldi? 

Has thrown a few 'bullpens' in last week, as well as playing catch. There is no official timetable set as of yet, at least that I have seen?

But I'd expect a short rehab stint to be announced in next few days and he could be activated within the next 10-14 days (all me speculating assuming no setbacks) and I fully believe he will be closing in very short order.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Has thrown a few 'bullpens' in last week, as well as playing catch. There is no official timetable set as of yet, at least that I have seen?

But I'd expect a short rehab stint to be announced in next few days and he could be activated within the next 10-14 days (all me speculating assuming no setbacks) and I fully believe he will be closing in very short order.

I agree.  But given how bad Boston's bullpen is maybe he should just rehab there.  No one would care if he had a poor, shaking off the rust, rehab performance or two since it wouldn't be any worse than what is happening now.  😎

so no longer closer possibility it seems and he sucks as a starter....